Record-breaking rains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Record-breaking rains

I shut down my computa ALL DAY! I cleaned my HALE and got to every window. My bathroom is sparkling! No moss or mildew is going to get to my clothes, pictures and precious belongings. Elblow grease, clorax, Ajax, Pinesoil, etc. The rain is pain ~ today I Gain! Clean HALE ~ will keep me SANE!

aUNTIE pUpULE
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      I cleaned my HALE and got to every window. My bathroom is sparkling! No moss or mildew...
      ok, aunty...NOW we will come over...

Comment

Weird. No rain at the moment, but despite having no problems during downpours, the power is out. Went out last night, too, and again it was relatively quiet.

Tonight it flickered a few times, actually, then seemed to hover at "low power" or something (LEDs were dim, most appliances were dead, but some lights came on... a little), before dying completely. Hope our computer surge protectors worked.

Um. Oh well. Might as well go to bed.

More rains coming, unfortunately, probably heavy rains again by late Tuesday.

Comment

Holey moley...where'd this mini-hurricane come from? A temperature drop followed by light gray skies turning to dark gray skies, then thunder and now it blowin' like heck and the rain's comin' down...AGAIN! I was just stepping out the door to go to Longs. No thank you. I'm staying inside. Is this weather island wide right now or is it making it's way from Kauai to Waianae then down the island chain? Nasty stuff.

Comment

It's NASTY here @ MWH! Looks like something outta a movie. Hala! 40 days and 40 nights? Hala? Ainokea, I not scared.

Thunder and Lightning just struck again.

Another THUNDER!!! BOOM!!!!

Runs by MAMA and Antonio and hides.

Ainokea - I scared!

Keep safe everybody!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Thunder in the distance at Pearlridge. Tigger is hiding under the bed. Temp dropped about 10 degrees at a guess.

Just looked at the thermometer: 69.8 degrees outdoors.
              Last edited by Linkmeister; March 30, 2006, 10:51 AM.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                Holey moley...where'd this mini-hurricane come from? A temperature drop followed by light gray skies turning to dark gray skies, then thunder and now it blowin' like heck and the rain's comin' down...AGAIN! (...) Is this weather island wide right now or is it making it's way from Kauai to Waianae then down the island chain? Nasty stuff.
                National Weather Service has issued a flash flood warning and a severe thunderstorm warning, with wind gusts to 58mph.
                Tutu, are you in Makaha or Kakaako today? Just curious, to follow how fast it's moving. (And thanks to Auntie, Steve and Ryan for their reports, too.)
                Here in Kaneohe just before noon, and we've had the thunder and lightning and rain for about the last half-hour and easy to see that more is coming.
                You don't want to see the doppler radar images right now.

(But if you do wanna see 'em, go to http://www.radioprofit.com/weathercenter.html . The radar images with the black background are the ones you'll want to see. There are four of them. The top left shows Kauai and Oahu, and you'll see the heavy band of red, orange and yellow hitting us right now. (Those colors mean the heaviest rain and thunderstorms.) The one to the right of that shows just Oahu but is down for repair (the radar, not the island, although... hmmm.) The next one shows Maui County and the last one with the black background shows the Big Island.
                Last edited by LikaNui; March 30, 2006, 10:58 AM. Reason: Added link to radar images

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Holy cow. That was the biggest clap of thunder I've heard... hell, felt, in a long time. Downtown is just drenched... car alarms now squealing everywhere.

Comment

Yeah, Antonio and even MAMA got scared! And she don't get scared for NUTTIN! I'm prepared from the last Hurricane scare. I got bottle waters, can goods, anything and everything I need in my HALE.

My mind keeps thinking about all the HOMELESS PEOPLE out there who has no shelter.

This rain attacked fast like LIGHTNING!

Please keep safe People. The roads are very dangerous too.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      Holy cow. That was the biggest clap of thunder I've heard... hell, felt, in a long time.
                      Getting some good boomers here on the windward side, but the monster boomer was a week ago, Thursday morning at 1:06am. That one thunderclap woke me out of a deep sleep and it stayed loud for quite a long time even after I woke up. I checked the property to make sure we didn't have a lightning strike, cuz judging from the sound I thought we had. Next day all the neighbors were talking about that one boomer.

Comment

As everyone is cursing the rain in Hawai'i, here is an 'oli praising the 4 elements of nature:

"AIR
                        Ola i ke ahe lau makani.
                        There is life in a gentle breath of wind.

FIRE
                        `A `ole e`olelo mai ana ke ahi ua ana ia.
                        Fire will never say that it has had enough.

WATER/RAIN
                        Ola i ka wai a ka `opua.
                        There is life in the water from the clouds.

EARTH/LAND
                        Uwe ka lani, ola ka honua.
                        When the heavens weep, the earth lives.
                        Ua mau ke ea o ka`aina i ka pono.
                        The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness. ..."

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                          National Weather Service has issued a flash flood warning and a severe thunderstorm warning, with wind gusts to 58mph.
                          Tutu, are you in Makaha or Kakaako today? Just curious, to follow how fast it's moving.[...]
                          I'm in Makaha today. That's why I was wondering if the storm had hit other parts of the island yet. Sounds like it has...with a fury. There was quite a commotion going on with security in my building...probably running around sandbagging various low spots on the property. It's too nasty outside to stick my head out the door and check!

Wow! That temp drop was dramatic and fast. Glad I made my Costco run yesterday!

Seriously, stay safe everyone. I think I need to check the doppler radar images and pretend I understand what I'm looking at.

Comment

Yeek. I just heard thunder, and I am so deep inside my building, I usually never can tell what it's like outside.

I like the AccuWeather radar map:

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                              [...](But if you do wanna see 'em, go to http://www.radioprofit.com/weathercenter.html . [...]
                              That's very cool! Yep! Oahu's getting nailed...again.

The rain and wind have settled down a bit in Makaha but we're still getting lightning and thunder, albeit a bit far off.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                                WATER/RAIN
                                Ola i ka wai a ka `opua.
                                There is life in the water from the clouds.
                                Thanks for sharing those, but... it's been raining since February 19. And sadly, the quote above could read "There is death in the water from the clouds."

Comment

Working...
                                X