HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 3

Mel, as always, great vantage point of the latest moorings at Honolulu Harbor. I still say the Princess cruise ships are prettier and much more modern looking.

You might note that the Superferry is back at at its dock after being dry-docked for repairs to its auxilliary rudders over the past 2 months.

Here's a few shots I got of Hawaiian Monk Seal "Rocky" (NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service shoulder marking #N11, tail tag #58) as she lazily sunbathed over at Diamond Head Beach several weeks ago...

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Pomai, thanks for the comments. Great pictures of the monk seal. The big guy looks totally contented just to be lying out on the beach.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Great shots from everyone, as always!
        Here's a few from yesterday, while I was Committee Boat for a sailboat race. Tricky to shoot while running in choppy water at around 20 knots, blasting all over to get photos.
        Anyway, here was the start of the race:

A few more to follow, next post.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

And just a couple more to follow.

Comment

Pau.

Comment

Great action shots with the sailing pix!
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

A shave-ice moment...

Comment

Contemplation

son is 6 yrs. old--- daughter is 3 days old.

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
                    A shave-ice moment...
                    Excellent, excellent captured moment. Love it.

Sticking with that theme, this is the photo I use for my "About" page on my blog...

It's a royalty-free stock photo from the Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau promotional CD.

Likanui, all those shots of Kaneohe Bay sure stir memories. Rough life you got living out there on the bay.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                      Excellent, excellent captured moment. Love it.

==================
                      Thanks Pomai.
                      There is the prequel to that photo in the Kaukau corner/everything shave ice.
                      Taken moments before baby sister attacked the rainbow.

Comment

Great photos, DNR55!!!
                        And thanks for the comments, Mel and Pomai. I imagine Pomai has shot sailboat racing before, but not sure if you have, Mel. What made those shots challenging (in addition to the choppy water) was that I was blasting all over the bay to shoot different boats.
                        The problem then is "apparent wind." The tradewinds were blowing at about 20 knots yesterday. So when I was running downwind at 20 knots of boat speed (same as the wind blowing the same direction), I'd feel zero wind... but when going upwind, my 20 knots of forward motion, heading into 20 knots of wind, made an apparent wind speed of 40 knots. On top of the choppy water surface.
                        And at the same time, driving my boat, trying not to hit anyone or to interfere with the race, handling radio communications, helping two boats whose headsails blew out in shreds, etc.
                        Not exactly dream conditions for photography.

Comment

One other thing about shooting sailboats -- they heel (lean) over, so you get different shots from different sides. Compare these two shots of the same boat:

and from the other side, moments later:

Comment

Yes!! Fish Eyes!!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              Great photos, DNR55!!!
                              And thanks for the comments, Mel and Pomai. I imagine Pomai has shot sailboat racing before, but not sure if you have, Mel.
                              I'm not the ocean going type and have never shot from sea in conditions such as you described. Your shots are incredible given all of the other things you had to do at the same time. Sounds like you surely had a one man operation going in documenting the sailboat race.

And again, nice shots all, the new sailing pix, and of course pictures of children are always good. In particular I liked the black & white shot of the 6 year old and the 3 day old. That one is a real keeper.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Auntie, that picture of Antonio staring at the Mahimahi is precious.

More fantastic shots of LN's sailboats. LN, you should try playing with Photoshop filters to make them look like a chalk, pastel or oil painting. I'll give a few of your sailboat shots a try and post them here later.

Earlier today I snapped a photo of the Lock Ness Monster, which has since swam from Scotland all the way here to Oahu. Really! Check it out...

Just kiddin'. That's Rocky, who as usual, mozied her lazy butt up on the rocky shelf shoreline at Diamond Head Beach today.

Gotta' admit, that's a great shot. A bit noisy, but the moment was captured! Look at them choppers. That's why it's not a good idea to get too close to them. Looks like that bite would hurt.

Rocky #N11, 3.30.08

Here's a cool composition that includes the lighthouse in the background...

Rocky #N11, 3.30.08

What must be noted is how the seal actually blends in with the rocks, making it easy if you're not careful to bump into her as she just lays there motionless. A friend of mine throws net out there, and he actually did that once and she got up and started snapping. Scared the daylights outta' him. lol
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X