iTunes Music Store Free Downloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: iTunes Music Store Free Downloads

D'oh! Forgot to post about last week's tracks, "You're My Kind" by Elektrochemie and "Lonely Train" by Black Stone Cherry. The former was a sparse techno track that I didn't mind (I used to be a techno fan), but didn't love. The latter was a grinding metal track... but actually sounded too crisp and clean for hard rock.

If you didn't grab 'em, they're not free any more... but you're not missing a whole lot.

This week:
    • "Pretty Little Thing" by Fink, an acousic, bluesy track. I kinda like this one, and will give it a few more listens. I guess he's a new discovery and only has an EP out so far.
    • "We Share Our Mother's Health," by The Knife, a bit of Swedish dance electronica. I like it better than last week's Elektrochemie track, but it sounds a bit too much like an 8-bit Atari videogame gone bezerk. Some folks like that sound, but me? Not so much.

Comment

I played each of last week's tracks only once. But I downloaded them both. I liked the metal one better. Perhaps it has some hit potential. Seen the CD on sale at Best Buy last week for $9.99... I passed... bought Los Lonely Boys new one instead for $9.99.... the electro techno one... listened to only once... not on my high rotation list.

I guess it must be Tuesday already in iTunes land... I'll check the new ones out and report later.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

In addition to the freebies made available to all on the iTMS, Apple will occasionally offer freebies in partnerships with other companies or groups. Right now, Apple is doing a free weekly 25-song sampler for users of Facebook -- basically a grown-up, locked-down MySpace.

Some gems in the first week's set. The Twilight Singers, The Perishers, Goldfrapp... One of the tracks is by a group called "Girls in Hawaii" -- a band which is neither made up of girls, nor from Hawaii. They're a Radio-head esque band from Belgium!

Also, if you didn't know, General Mills is doing iTunes giveaways on various cereal boxes. Presently, it's Cookie Crisp.

Comment

This past Tuesday's songs:

"Pretty Little Thing" by Fink - has a groove to it, but I don't think it'll be a high rotatation track.

"We Share Our Mothers' Health" by The Knife - already filed away under "monotonous"...

Next... HawaiiUP is back.

There is a lot of free music buried in the Podcast section of iTunes, many single tracks in talk shows, others in programs dedicated to music. If you like indy stuff, this is another source.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Man, sometimes I'm so unhip, I'm an ankle.
            that was pretty hip.
            but you still should dig a ditch and get over yerself.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              [...]but you still should dig a ditch and get over yerself.
              Hmmm...I thought that was 'build a bridge..."!

Comment

This week's songs, "Listen Up," by The Gossip, "skittery funk" featuring "punk rock/funk diva" Beth Ditto, and "Tangled" by Jackie Allen, the title track off a Blue Note release.

For those collecting the 25 free weekly tracks from Facebook, this week's set is "Electronica," featuring a bunch of artists and bands I've never heard of. I've played "Que Sera" by Wax Taylor a few times for the fun samples, though.

Comment

Here is my verdict for the 2 freebies this week:

"Tangled" - played only once, filed away in my iTunes library.

"Listen Up" - spritely and brite; added to my iPod Shuffle playlist of current hits.

next....
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

This week has two I actually like.

Sewn-by The Feeling
                    Mi Tumbao-by Tres Coronas

Sewn has a great pop/rock sound and could break into the charts.
                    Mi Tumbao is a hip-hop/latin feel that will get you moving.
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

Thanks for the reminder, alohabear. "Sewn" by The Feeling isn't bad. Definitely the 'radio edit' -- carefully crafted to be a pop smash. I was going to dismiss it as overproduced mush, but a few hours later I started humming it.

Gotta say, though, "Mi Tumbao" by Tres Coronas doesn't do anything for me. Guess hip-hop doesn't appeal to me in any language.

For those on Facebook, this week's set of 25 free tracks have a rock theme. Some great sounding stuff, though again I don't recognize most of the bands. Shooter Jennings and Tokyo Rose are in there...

Comment

Dipama- Richard Bona
                        A nice mellow song with an African feel.

In Deux Time- Deux Process

Not good at all. You can find better rap at Garageband . Itunes must have got payola for this.

Flickr

Comment

Dipama, by Richard Bona. Mellow is right, but maybe a bit too thin for me. Says he's "the African Sting," which seems apt. Nice background music, at least.

In Deux Time, by Deux Process. Not a fan, either. Though I was able to listen to the whole thing before deciding to delete it. There've been worse tracks in the genre offered up as freebies, but that's not saying much.

Those tracking the Facebook freebie sets, this week's 25 downloads are in the "Alternative" genre. Several familiar bands, and tracks I like. "Blackened Blue Eyes" by The Charlatans UK, "Letter to Bowie Knife" by Calexico, "See the World" by Gomez, Nada Surf, Alien Ant Farm... so far my favorite batch.

Comment

Dipama - haven't downloaded it yet, but just from the song description, it already sounds like a yawner.

In Deux Time - never have been a fan of rap; I have it, gave it a listen and now its filed away.

next...
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Old Crow Medicine Show-"James River Blues"
                              A nice bluegrass song with a "Grateful Dead" kind of feel.

Vaux-"Are You With Me?"
                              A loud alternative pop song . I like this one to wake me up.

Flickr

Comment

"Are You With Me?" by Vaux: Absolutely it'll wake you up. I like this one, provided I'm in a loud mood at the time.

"James River Blues" by Old Crow Medicine Show: A nice counterpoint to the Vaux rock, this is a light, traditional bluegrass track. Definitely like the violin bits.

Sadly, this week's 25-track freebie set from Facebook is themed "Hip Hop." No thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X