Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: iTunes Music Store Free Downloads

Originally posted by mel View Post
    [...]"Jingle Bells" by James Taylor - highly recommend this different jazzy take on the old standard for anyone's Christmas collection. Added to my "holiday" playlist.
    I love this one! Thanks for the heads up, Mel!

Comment

iTunes giving away 2 free Christmas tracks this week.

1. Sarah McLachlan - "Silent Night" - a nice rendition of this classic song.

2. The Knife - "Christmas Reindeer" - some kind of electro dance thing.

They also giving away some kind hip/hop track: "Anacaona" by La Sista.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Single of the Week: Stylee by David Garza.

Discovery Download: Stille Nacht by The King's Singers, a Christmas track.

But the reason why I've finally come back to this thread is to share a freebie that I'm thrilled about! The audiobook of "The Areas of My Expertise," by John Hodgman. If you've never stepped into audiobooks, you've got to try this one. And if you want to know why I love John Hodgman, I blogged all about it.

Comment

How big is this 6 hour long file? I assume it is the whole book and not a chapter highlight as is normally given away.

On another note you forgot the 3rd free Apple music track:

"That Was the Worst Christmas Ever!" by Sufjan Stevens
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Single of the Week: "Hang Me Up to Dry," Cold War Kids. Pretty good, IMHO.

Discovery Download: "The Bitch of Living," Duncan Shiek & Steven Sater. A song from a Broadway musical, called "Spring Awakening." Not bad, but I guess I need to know the whole show.

Other free stuff here.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              [...]Other free stuff here.
              Dang, PZ...how do you find these and how do you link to iTunes?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Dang, PZ...how do you find these and how do you link to iTunes?
                The main page of the iTunes Music Store can include a section featuring free content... if you have your preferences configured to show it, rather than its customized recommendations. Look toward the bottom of the page. As to how to link to it? Each artist and album page in iTunes has an internal iTunes URL, which you can get by right-clicking or click-and-holding on the name or title. You should see "Copy iTunes URL" as one of the options, and thereby get links you can use... like this!

It's Tuesday, and today's selections are:

Single of the Week: You Know I'm No Good by Amy Winehouse. Really catchy. One of the better freebies in recent weeks, IMHO.

But -- as sometimes happens in iTunes -- the menehune behind the scenes have yet to toggle the little switch that makes it free. So, as I post this, it's listed as costing $0.99. I just added it to my shopping cart and it came through as free, anyway, but I can understand the reluctance to chance it. Hopefully within a few hours the official "Get Free Download" button will appear.

Discovery Download: All My Friends Say by Luke Bryan. Country, if that's your thing. The artist caught my eye because I work with a guy whose name is the reverse.

More free stuff here, like the Macworld 2007 Keynote Address (video), and apparently you can get the "Cancion de la Semana" (Single of the Week) from the iTunes Latino store: Me Falta by Rayito.

Comment

I'm hearing rumors that ITunes will soon have Beatle's catalog from Sony. Do you have any info about that? I think Jobs said something about it the day he announced the IPhone but I guess I was only paying attention to the phone.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

People concluded it was inevitable after Steve Jobs' unveiling of the iPhone used several Beatles tracks. The latest "Beatles on iTunes" rumors point to a pre-Valentine's Day bow, but I'll believe it when I see it. And, contrary to the spirit of this thread, their songs definitely won't be free.

Comment

I'm sure The Beatles will be a big hit at iTunes once they are placed there. However I cannot see a lot of older people like myself springing to buy any of the Beatles music from iTunes since we have most if not all of their tracks on CD already and have longed ripped them to MP3 or AAC on iTunes.

And yes, none of those songs will end up in the iTunes freebie section.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Discovery Download: "On the Third Day" by Michael Olson. Sharp bright pop; didn't even realize at first Olson was a religious artist.

Single of the Week: "Herculean" by The Good, The Bad, and The Queen. Pensive, meandering. Shades of Moby.

On the Latin American side, there's "El Sello" by Ardnaxela. Not even sure if this is a U.S. freebie (clicking through from one page, it says it wasn't available, but I came in through the album and it said "Free").

Comment

I added "On the Third Day" to my high rotation list. It's a good song.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

You absolutely must get this week's free download:
                            "The Story" by Brandi Carlile

Never heard of Brandi before, but this track makes me an instant fan. It begins soft and lilting, like a lullaby, then transitions into a powerful, gut-wrenching, soulful performance. Wow. Just, wow.

Six drops of essence of Johnette Napolitano, five drops of Linda Perry sauce, a tincture of Melissa Etheridge, and yet completely all her own. I'm not making any sense, am I? Give it a listen and see for yourself. Act now before you have to pay for this, although it's certainly worth the 99 cents if you miss the deadline.

Reminds me of back in January when Amy Winehouse's "You Know I'm No Good" got me hooked on Amy's groovy retro sound.

Comment

Wow. Thanks for the recommendation. I'd fallen behind on my iTunes freebies, but we grabbed this one immediately. I like it a lot, too. Especially how it builds to a full on rocker.

Comment

Working...
                              X