Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: U2: Ru Going?

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    ... and the best way ever to lose my arena rock concert virginity.
    Not to spoil the mood here, but arena shows are shows that you catch in places like the Blaisdell. Stadium concerts are what play at Aloha Stadium.

Did they end the regular set with "40?"
    Last edited by scrivener; December 10, 2006, 12:42 AM. Reason: "i will sing...sing a new song..."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
      A lot of the concert goers were from the mainland. I sold a pair of floor tickets on to a gal from Kansas City.
      great picture! what camera did you use to get that shot???
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

What a show. Blew me away.

I was on the floor at the second barrier on the 50 yard line, center. Great view of the stage.

I knew it was going to be big - I'd seen the DVD - but seeing it live, with that enormous backdrop was off the hook. And the sound was incredible. The production is a total sensory experience.

It's been a great few weeks, seeing PJ three times, and U2.

Comment

Write-ups in the papers...

Irish band U2 thrills 47,000 faithful
          It was the last night to attend the church of U2 at Aloha Stadium Saturday, and the near sell-out "congregation" literally rocked the stands to end the band's Vertigo World Tour. As Bono mentioned early on, it was "a gathering of the faithful," and thanked the fans that had gathered last night from the world over for their patience and faith in the band. To celebrate the many months spent on the road, first all 131 dates scrolled on the giant video projection screen on stage, ending with a roar from the crowd on "131. Honolulu." With that, guitarist the Edge launched into the opener "City of Blinding Lights."
          A 'spiritual gathering' for fans
          Tom MacMaster, 25, wouldn't travel to Honolulu from Seattle to see just any band. He'd only do it for U2, which performed last night at Aloha Stadium, taking the stage at about 9:30. It was the band's first performance in the Islands in two decades and the last on its worldwide Vertigo tour.
          Also...
          Originally posted by tvguy
          From the what are you thinking department.....most of the seats in front of and behind me were vacated by the time the last encore started...
          Well, early on, they allowed those in reserved seating to flow down onto the floor into general admission, so plenty of folks opted to rock out in the crowd rather than in their seats. Even my wife and I ended up standing in the aisle for the second and third encore, holding each other and moving to the music. I'm an old fart, in my mind, so it was nice to be able to sit for most of the show, but you gotta get on your feet eventually!

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
            great picture! what camera did you use to get that shot???
            I used a Sony Cybershot 5 megapixel digital camera. I wished I could of snuck in my Canon SLR camera with a 400mm telephoto lense.

Comment

Great photo. Great concert.

First end was One.
              Encore: The Fly, Mysterious Ways, With or Without You.
              2nd Encore: Windows in the Sky, The Saints Come In, Rockin' in the Free World, All I want is You

Can anyone compare the young U2 that played at the Blaisdell to the concert they saw last night? I had a chance to go both times but didn't.

Buy U2 Go Home if you want to see a great concert DVD. I know the set on the U2 Vertigo 2005 was different from last night but the stage should be the same.
              just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Also...Well, early on, they allowed those in reserved seating to flow down onto the floor into general admission, so plenty of folks opted to rock out in the crowd rather than in their seats.
                No, the people in my section were of the "honey, it's late let's beat the traffic out of here" variety. I commented to my wife about how these were probably not experienced concertgoers who don't know what encores are as they got up and left as the crowd applauded and the stadium lights remained off. Their loss......

Comment

Wow. I rarely go to concerts, but there was no way I was gonna miss this one. It's the best $47.50 plus Ticketmaster fee I've ever spent. Standing for 8+ hours is really causing my feet some pain today, though!

I got a few good shots, but since I was so freakin' short, it was really difficult to get any that turned out well, even when I had a great view.

Dick, was standing a couple of rows behind ya the whole time. Woulda said hi but I was afraid I'd lose my position.
                  Last edited by AbsolutChaos; December 10, 2006, 09:44 AM.

Comment

In other cities when U2 has not closed a show with "40," the audience has sung it on its own before leaving. Was there any singing of "40" by anyone?
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
                      I used a Sony Cybershot 5 megapixel digital camera. I wished I could of snuck in my Canon SLR camera with a 400mm telephoto lense.
                      wow! my hat's off to you. that is a great shot and you got it with a p&s! and in low light conditions! any post processing or is that the shot right out of the camera (except for resizing)???

that is one beautiful cover shot!
                      Last edited by shaveice; December 10, 2006, 11:33 AM.
                      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                        I got a few good shots, but since I was so freakin' short, it was really difficult to get any that turned out well, even when I had a great view.
                        if you have any that you really like, please provide us with a link to see your shots!

i so regret not going. wonder if they'll ever make a dvd of last night's concert?

Comment

Also...Well, early on, they allowed those in reserved seating to flow down onto the floor into general admission, so plenty of folks opted to rock out in the crowd rather than in their seats.
                          Are you sure? My understanding was that people in GA were allowed to leave the floor, but upon return had to present their GA ticket to get a green wrist band for the floor. A lot of people we came in with left as soon as they arrived to go get merch, etc. so it looked empty before the show started, but filled from the stands as soon as things got started. I hear there were 14,000 GA tickets available. I just missed getting into the inner sanctum, so opted to be at the second barrier. Great, unobstructed view from there.

Comment

We were worried about the parking situation but we arrived at about 4:00 and had no trouble finding parking. The only snafu was that the Aloha Stadium website states that we could bring purses/bags/backpacks into the stadium (subject to search, of course) and I was denied entry by security because I had a shoulder bag. One of our party had to return to the car to put away the bag. Once we got inside we saw dozens, if not hundreds, of people who had big purses, bags, and backpacks.

Once we got in the show went beyond all my wildest expectations. The production values were amazing, the sound was the best I've ever heard at a stadium show, and Pearl Jam and U2 were great.

There was a very positive vibe and we met people from all over the world. What a great experience; I'm so glad we went.

Celebrity sightings: 2/3 of the Lost cast, Kid Rock, Scott Ian of Anthrax, and Pierce Brosnan!

Comment

We met plenty of people with reserved seats who ended up standing in the GA line, only to get bumped out without so much as a "by your leave" when the turnstyles opened. And, sure enough, while some entrances seemed to be tightly policing bags, others let just about anything through. The souvenir tent was a madhouse, with no line, just kind of a churning mass you had to make your way through. The ATM, though, did have a line -- at least a hundred deep, and folks actually made it through the souvenir tent "line" twice in the time it took to get to the ATM.

But, still, a great experience overall. We saw old friends, we met people from all four corners of the globe (this woman folded the concert into her bachelorette party, custom T-shirt and everything)... couldn't ask for anything more.

Oh, by the way, I uploaded a couple of video clips from the stadium, too. Sure, you can't see anything or hear anything, but hey, it's a blurry, noisy piece of the moment, shared almost live.

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                                wow! my hat's off to you. that is a great shot and you got it with a p&s! and in low light conditions! any post processing or is that the shot right out of the camera (except for resizing)???

that is one beautiful cover shot!
                                Another shot for you. BTW, this was straight out from the camera.

Comment

Working...
                                X