American Idol Season Five (2006)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: American Idol Season Five (2006)

Without context, it wasn't clear. I wasn't the only person who thought it was a spoiler, since I got a panicked PM from another user on the mainland.

I apologize for the presumption. It should actually be Mel's call, anyway.

Comment

Hey Maddie...My wife also thinks Taylor Hicks is gonna be the winner...its good to see that he is actually a musician, and not just a voice...she voted for him last night too and might again tonight....no doubt he is better than the girl....but damn she's HOT with a capital H
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
        After the Mary J. Blige/Elliott Yemin duet did I see her walking off stage, leaving him behind? Maybe that's happened with the other pairings/groupings, too, and the camera didn't catch it but, dang, that just seems so rude to me.

And that Chris Daughtry...<swoon!>

Mary J. Blige <<< She is a rude person. Trust me I know

Other than that the show was AWESOME!

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek
          Mary J. Blige <<< She is a rude person. Trust me I know

Other than that the show was AWESOME!
          I heard that MJB has had a tough life. Still, that's no excuse for rudeness. I believe you!!!

I thought the show was great, too...fast paced and entertaining; quite an extravaganza. The best part of the finale, afaic, is when the idols get to individually share the stage with their idols. A Paris and Al Jarreau duet? Whoda thunk?! Loved it, tho'. I wonder if one of them wanted to sing with Prince and he declined.

Comment

The only 'problem' I saw with her was her wardrobe. It was so unflattering.
            Yes, I noticed that too.

I enjoyed her performance but Carrie was clearly the shining star.
            I was mostly watching "Lost" and only caught bits of AI, but from the parts I did see it seemed that Carrie was miles ahead of all the other AI singers, and even ahead of most of the professionals. It was sad to see Al Jarreau, who is clearly past his prime. And having Prince on was a nice surprise, though I didn't care for the song.
            And it shocks me to say this ( ) but I actually agree with TimKona ( ) about how it's nice that Taylor is also a musician. (If I recall correctly, one of the AI contestants last season, or maybe the one before, played acoustic guitar rather well.) Taylor rocks on the blues harmonica! "Tobacco Road" was terrific, though the other singers on that one weren't very impressive.

Side note to TutuSue: that "Tobacco Road" song was a big hit back in the day by many artists, but perhaps the best known version was by Edgar Winter, the albino musician discussed in another thread a couple of months ago.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Is it just me, or does Taylor Hicks look like a cross between Jay Leno and Peter Kay?

It's been impossible to avoid seeing him today. Even other networks are signed on. Not bad from what I've heard, though I've never felt inclined to buy an Idol's album. At least it's a male performer this year. I was beginning to wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                Is it just me, or does Taylor Hicks look like a cross between Jay Leno and Peter Kay?
                I would've said Jay Leno and Michael McDonald.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  I would've said Jay Leno and Michael McDonald.
                  I agree with both of you on Jay Leno, but McDonald's hair is pure white so have to disagree on that one.

Comment

Mr. Soul Patrol also has features similar to George Clooney.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                      Yes, I noticed that too.

I was mostly watching "Lost" and only caught bits of AI, but from the parts I did see it seemed that Carrie was miles ahead of all the other AI singers, and even ahead of most of the professionals. It was sad to see Al Jarreau, who is clearly past his prime. And having Prince on was a nice surprise, though I didn't care for the song.
                      And it shocks me to say this ( ) but I actually agree with TimKona ( ) about how it's nice that Taylor is also a musician. (If I recall correctly, one of the AI contestants last season, or maybe the one before, played acoustic guitar rather well.) Taylor rocks on the blues harmonica! "Tobacco Road" was terrific, though the other singers on that one weren't very impressive.

Side note to TutuSue: that "Tobacco Road" song was a big hit back in the day by many artists, but perhaps the best known version was by Edgar Winter, the albino musician discussed in another thread a couple of months ago.
                      I just previewed EW's 'Tobacco Road' in iTunes. It just blows me away that I wasn't familiar with him at the height of his popularity. The first time I'd heard his name was in your referenced thread, LN.

Personally I think the idols group songs aren't all that great. However, I do understand that there probably hasn't been an abundance of rehearsal time so I'll cut 'em some slack! Besides that, I can't sing a note so who am I to criticize?!!! Loved Taylor's harmonica, tho'!

LN, Carrie was outrageous on the ACM awards show Tuesday night; even better than on Idol last night. She's definitely an ascending star.

Oh...and this just in from my daughter, which explains why I haven't heard from her in a coupla days!:
                      "Did you watch the American Idol finale last night? I was SO lucky and ended up with tickets from my Fox rep on Tuesday at 4:45pm. It was the most amazing show I've gone to and especially to see it in person. When Mary J Blije and then Prince came out, I lost my mind."!
                      Can I talk major ENVY here?!!!!! This is the 2nd time she's been able to attend AI this season! The finale is the only AI show I'd care to go to. She tried to get my 8 year old grandson to fly in (Oakland to Irvine) for it but his softball team is in the finals and it was their first game! The kid has priorities!!!

Comment

I meant to add that I thought Meatloaf and also Dionne Warwick were pretty bad.
                        But the vignettes with Wolfgang Puck and Kelly (sp?) Pickler were hilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                          I meant to add that I thought Meatloaf and also Dionne Warwick were pretty bad.
                          But the vignettes with Wolfgang Puck and Kelly (sp?) Pickler were hilarious!
                          I never was a Meatloaf fan and thought that pairing a bit odd! I was always a Dionne Warwick fan and a Burt/Dionne fan but have to agree with you about last night.

OMG...I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in the creative session when they came up with the idea of Wolfgang and Kelly. Very funny!

Comment

Note to American Idol execs:

FIRE THE GUYS WHO WROTE THE ORIGINAL SONGS

I liken the original songs to an extremely painful bowel movement.

Last night's finale was the first time I actually made a point to sit through an entire AI episode. This season seemed very "meh" to me, and I found myself not paying too much attention to it. I was pleased with last night's finale, and while I consider myself a big fan of Bacharach, they seriously need to stop it with him already. Are they going to keep bringing him back for every season?

And Dionne...wow. She looked like a different person last night.

For some reason I just can't stand it whenever the entire cast sings song together. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like they can't keep things on key.

I really hope AI takes a break for a while.
                            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                            We're not here to mess around
                            Boston, you know we love you madly
                            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                            You know we couldn't live without you
                            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
                              [...]I liken the original songs to an extremely painful bowel movement.[...]
                              Bwaha! Com'on Lei. Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back!

I can't see Idol taking a break 'til the ratings plummet. They're on a continuous roll. It's a huge money maker. Each season is unique with a brand, new cast, both good and bad! Their formula works. For now!

Comment

I can't see Idol taking a break 'til the ratings plummet. They're on a continuous roll. It's a huge money maker. Each season is unique with a brand, new cast, both good and bad! Their formula works. For now!...
                                Sadly, this is true. It doesn't look like Ford and Coca-Cola's going anywhere.

What'll be interesting to see in the next seasons to come is how the execs will try and outdo the previous seasons.

With the finale last night I was disappointed to see that they recycled the same songs over again. Come on, surely viewers can go one season without hearing "Natural Woman"...right?
                                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                                We're not here to mess around
                                Boston, you know we love you madly
                                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                                You know we couldn't live without you
                                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
                                X