Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads Trivia Game

Originally posted by zztype
    I submitted my sources as part of my answer and you can verify that I was actually looking at the correct list. May I suggest that I be awarded the points for the correct answer, after all?

Is the contest all pau?
    When in doubt, award the point--that's what I always say. So yes, I'll give the point and make the adjustment when I post the updated scores tonight. And the game goes until the end of the month, so keep plugging away.

Good idea, including the URL. Thanks for being patient.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 9!
      question 1
      category: food
      Why is a 3 Musketeers candy-bar called that?

You used to get it in three pieces, with each piece flavored differently (the middle was still that fluffy stuff, but it came in strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate). It's just one flavor now (chocolate), but the name remains.

Kudos, Good News, Big Hunks to EastCoastTropics, Surfingfarmboy, LikaNui, and ZZType for taking a bite out of that one.

Bonus Trivia from Surfingfarmboy: "Some trivia for you, speaking of Mars: It is possible to buy a round trip ticket to Mars. The Mars commuter train station located on the west side of Chicago, that is. Though not a heavily used stop by commuters, it has been there for as long as I can remember. (Called "Mars" because there once was an M&M plant right by the stop.)"

Honorable mention from Helen: "The inside of the candy bar is like a chocolate mousse, which is what the 3 Musketeers like to eat." Helen, are you sure you weren't a philosophy major in college?

question 2
      What does TCBY (as in frozen yogurt) stand for?

Well. It stands, of course, for "The Country's Best Yogurt." Surfingfarmboy, Helen, and ZZType got that and thus get the point.

However, EastCoastTropics, Linkmeister, and LikaNui gave an answer I'd never heard of: "This Can't Be Yogurt." At first, I thought there must be some bad info on the Net (it's been known to happen, you know!), because I was very, very confident in my answer, and because there was a better franchise in the eighties called I Can't Believe It's Yogurt (in Hawaii, it was at Times Sqauare in Waimalu and next to I Love Country Cafe on Piikoi) and I figured people online were just getting confused. It turns out that not only is "This Can't Be Yogurt" also correct, but it is, in fact, a better answer. Check out the very well-written, hilarious story at Slate. So it humbles me to say this: Points also to EastCoastTropics, Linkmeister, and LikaNui.

question 3
      category: food (but not really)
      What comic-strip character has a cat named Hot Dog and a dog named Ruff?

Why, it's Dennis the Menace, of course! Hey, have you ever noticed how totally HOT Dennis's mom is? She almost gives Jessica Rabbit a run for her money. You know, her name is Mrs. Mitchell, and my name is Mitchell. We were meant for each other, I tellya! Cookies and milk for EastCoastTropics, Linkmeister, Surfingfarmboy, Helen, LikaNui, and ZZType.

13.5: Surfingfarmboy
      11.5: EastCoastTropics, ZZType
      9.5: Helen
      4: Linkmeister
      3: LikaNui
      2.5: Mel
      1: Glen Miyashiro

I'm really enjoying your participation in this, so thanks.

New questions, next post!
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 10, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 13.
        Today: All-Hawaii-Schools Edition!

question 1
        category: athletics
        Oh, man. I will be pleasantly shocked if someone gets this one.
        As most of you know, Pac-5 is a collective of private schools on Oahu, each of which is too small to field its own sports teams. The name came from the original five schools, although the collective is now made up of at least a dozen schools. Before it became Pac-5, though, what was its name?

question 2
        category: history
        What item of whole-world historical significance is on display at Honolulu Community College?

question 3
        category: music
        At what Hawaii school did Jimi Hendrix perform in 1970?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 13.
        You know you want to!
        Last edited by scrivener; March 12, 2005, 10:52 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hey. I'm wondering if someone will volunteer to keep a hardcopy update of the daily scores. I'm too disorganized (and lazy) to do so, but if something should happen to HawaiiThreads or if there is some kind of discrepancy, it would be nice if there was backup data. Thanks in advance.
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 10!
            question 1
            category: athletics
            Oh, man. I will be pleasantly shocked if someone gets this one.
            As most of you know, Pac-5 is a collective of private schools on Oahu, each of which is too small to field its own sports teams. The name came from the original five schools, although the collective is now made up of at least a dozen schools. Before it became Pac-5, though, what was its name?

It sounds as if a lot of you got your answers from this website. I hope you read some of the text there and realized two things: First, this is not necessarily a person who knew what he was talking about and second, neither was this person an HBA graduate (we teach 'em to read and write there)! Still, he happens to be right about the original name being HUMMR (pronounced Hummer). The letters stood for the five original schools: Hawaii Baptist Academy, University Laboratory School, Mid-Pacific Institute, Maryknoll School, and Our Redeemer Lutheran. So two cheers (one for each Prep Bowl the Wolfpack won) to ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, and EastCoastTropics for getting it right.

question 2
            What item of whole-world historical significance is on display at Honolulu Community College?

The answer I was looking for was a huge chunk of the Berlin Wall, which Helen (who works there!), Surfingfarmboy, Linkmeister, and EastCoastTropics all knew. However, ZZType, in what is becoming his usual fashion, found another answer I think should be counted: Dinosaurs. Now is the time on Sprockets when we dance!

By the way, EastCoastTropics has some really cool pictures of the wall in Berlin; perhaps she'll post them here for the rest of you to see. I'd do it myself, but I'm kind of in a hurry tonight.

question 3
            category: music
            At what Hawaii school did Jimi Hendrix perform in 1970?

That would be the legendary Rainbow Bridge concert at Seabury Hall on Maui. Those Seabury kids--they get everything! Tie-dye dashikis to ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, and EastCoastTropics!

Here are the current scores:
            16.5: Surfingfarmboy
            14.5: EastCoastTropics, ZZType
            10.5: Helen
            5: Linkmeister
            2.5: Mel

New questions in the next post!
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 11, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 14.

question 1
              category: television
              In one of Johnny Carson's "Carnack the Great" routines, Carnack gave the answer, "Sis boom bah!" What was the question in the envelope?

question 2
              category: movies
              In the recent Bravo special that counted down the scariest moments in movies, what film finished in the top (number 1) spot?

question 3
              In that classic 80s film Footloose, the school bully challenges Reyn (Kevin Bacon) to a game of chicken. What vehicles do the boys race toward each other?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 14.
              You know you want to!
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                question 2

The answer I was looking for was a huge chunk of the Berlin Wall...
                Here's an info page on the Berlin Wall Freedom Monument at Honolulu Community College, with photos.
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Mahalo for the link ZZType!!

Last summer my husband, youngest DD and I visited Berlin, Germany.
                  What a beautiful country....and ono Mettwurst too! Anyways, I took many photos! Here are just a few.....

This one shows the path of the wall lined with stones.
                  This is the path of the wall that separated the east from the west.
                  This photo was taken just next to the the Brandenburger Tor (gate).
                  The Brandenburger Tor marked the boundary between East and West Berlin.

This is part of the Berlin Wall that still stands.

Ok, I know this isn't the Berlin Wall, but I had to throw this BEAUTY in.
                  On our way to the Brandenburger Tor we stopped off at this showroom.
                  They let you sit in all the other cars 'cept dis one! hrruuummmppphh!

L
                  Lovena

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 11.

question 1
                    category: television
                    In one of Johnny Carson's "Carnack the Great" routines, Carnack gave the answer, "Sis boom bah!" What was the question in the envelope?

"Sis boom bah."
                    "Sis boom bah."
                    "Describe the sound of an exploding sheep."

Big, wet kisses from Don Rickles to EastCoastTropics, ZZType, and Surfingfarmboy for nailing that one.

question 2
                    In the recent Bravo special that counted down the scariest moments in movies, what film finished in the top (number 1) spot?

Have you seen this special? It dang-near freaked me out. There's some scary stuff out there! Well, I would have guessed Psycho, but that only finished fourth. It was Jaws that took top honors, as Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, Mel, and EastCoastTropics submitted.

Check out the whole list at Bravo. But really, see the special (they've been showing it repeatedly). It is FREAKY.

question 3
                    In that classic 80s film Footloose, the school bully challenges Reyn (Kevin Bacon) to a game of chicken. What vehicles do the boys race toward each other?

"You're playing / So cool / Obeying every rule / Dig way down in your heart / You're burning, yearning for some / Somebody to tell you / That life ain't a-passing you by / I'm tryin' to tell you / It will if you don't even try! / You can fly! / If you'd only cut loose...Footloose..."

It's a dated movie, but it's undeniably memorable, plus Kevin Bacon, Christopher Penn, and Sarah Jessica Parker before they were who they became. In the big chicken scene, Kevin Bacon and the guy who plays Lori Singer's boyfriend race TRACTORS at each other. Quiet Riot tapes to Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, Mel, and EastCoastTropics for dancing off with that one ("Dancing in the Sheets," maybe?).

Here are the current standings:
                    19.5: Surfingfarmboy
                    17.5: EastCoastTropics, ZZType
                    10.5: Helen
                    4.5: Mel
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

One small point: You spell it "Carnack" but JohnnyCarson.com spells it "Carnac." I think they have it right.

And thanks for the fun contest! Whee!
                      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 12, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 15.

question 1
                        category: Hawaii
                        What competition did Jasmine Kaneshiro win this past Sunday afternoon? (be as specific as possible!)

question 2
                        What is the name of the Green Giant (as in "Ho ho ho -- Green Giant!")'s little sidekick?

question 3
                        What do you call that Mediterranean spread made from roasted eggplant, lemon juice, and tahini (among other ingredients)?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 15.
                        The contest isn't even half over, so there's plenty of time to get into the swing!
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                          One small point: You spell it "Carnack" but JohnnyCarson.com spells it "Carnac." I think they have it right.
                          Yeah, well, I also mispelled Kevin Bacon's character's name in Footloose, so it wasn't a great spelling day for me from top to bottom! I won't pretend that this isn't the kind of thing that drives me crazy!

And you're welcome. I'm enjoying it as much as you, if not more!
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 12, which must have been Too-Easily-Googled Day.

question 1
                            What competition did Jasmine Kaneshiro win this past Sunday afternoon? (be as specific as possible!)

The seventh-grader from Hawaii Baptist Academy (Eagles represent!) won the Hawaii State Spelling Bee and flies to Washington to compete in the nationals. One P-O-I-N-T each to ZZType, Helen, EastCoastTropics, and Surfingfarmboy.

question 2
                            What is the name of the Green Giant (as in "Ho ho ho -- Green Giant!")'s little sidekick?

That would be Little Green Sprout or just Sprout. I always wondered exactly what kind of sprout he was. Asparagus? Nibbits to ZZtype, Helen, EastCoastTropics, Surfingfarmboy, and Kilinahe.

I didn't even think about it, but that makes two days in a row with questions related to farming. Says Surfingfarmboy: "Another question any farmboy worth his weight in fertilizer can easily answer!" I'll bet you can sling your own weight in fertilizer too, hm?

question 3
                            What do you call that Mediterranean spread made from roasted eggplant, lemon juice, and tahini (among other ingredients)?

MMMmmmmMMMmmMmmmMMm! I wish I had some Baba Ganoush (spellings vary) now! If you haven't eaten at the Olive Tree in Kahala, you really must. Don't start with the baba ganoush, though. Get the chicken souvlaki and the hummus first. Best hummus I've ever had. Shawermas and spanokopitas to ZZType, Kilinahe, Surfingfarmboy, and EastCoastTropics!

22.5: Surfingfarmboy
                            20.5: EastCoastTropics, ZZType
                            12.5: Helen
                            4.5: Mel
                            2: Kilinahe

New questions, next post!
                            Last edited by scrivener; March 15, 2005, 09:11 PM.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 13, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 16.
                              Today, I attempt to write a Google-proof set of three questions. These aren't necessarily difficult, just not Googleable (I hope).

question 1
                              category: marketing
                              What product is this song hawking?
                              Meow meow meow meow,
                              Meow meow meow meow,
                              Meow meow meow meow MEOW meow meow meow!

question 2
                              category: film
                              In the current Will Smith film, Hitch, Kevin James takes Amber Valletta to a basketball game. What does he teach her to do there?

question 3
                              Who was the first person in Hawaii tried for murder for deaths caused by driving while drunk?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 16.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 13.
                                question 1
                                category: marketing
                                What product is this song hawking?
                                Meow meow meow meow,
                                Meow meow meow meow,
                                Meow meow meow meow MEOW meow meow meow!

Yes, it's Meow Mix. Cats ask for it by name, you know. Two meows up to Helen, Mel, Surfingfarmboy, Linkmeister, EastCoastTropics, and ZZType!

question 2
                                category: film
                                In the current Will Smith film, Hitch, Kevin James takes Amber Valletta to a basketball game. What does he teach her to do there?

Ah. I know there's a lot of stuff out there about this movie, but I remembered a great detail that almost nobody wrote about, but which anyone who saw it would almost certainly remember. Kevin James (who really makes this movie, by the way--I recommend it with enthusiasm to anyone who likes romantic comedies, as I do, and with caution to anyone else) teaches Amber Valletta to whistle with her fingers in her mouth. And they say chivalry is dead. Loud whistles to Surfingfarmboy, the only participant to p/mail me a correct answer!

question 3
                                Who was the first person in Hawaii tried for murder for deaths caused by driving while drunk?

I knew this was going to happen eventually. I am, in fact, moderately surprised it took this long. I am voiding this question because I can't get what I consider a definitive answer and since the nature of the question leaves little room for guessing, I can't just give credit to everyone who ventured an answer. Sorry if this ticks anyone off, but oh well. It's just a game and it was not a good question.

I was certain that it was Bucky Lake (which ZZType also was going to guess), but then found a million other, conflicting answers. One of Lake's passengers was my friend, Ayce Esteban, who was sixteen and a student at Moanalua High, so it's something I think about frequently and thought I remembered well. In any case, it's not a pleasant question and perhaps I should have stayed away from it in the first place. I'll do better for the remainder of the game. I hope.

24.5: Surfingfarmboy
                                21.5: EastCoastTropics, ZZType
                                13.5: Helen
                                6: Linkmeister
                                5.5: Mel
                                2: Kilinahe

New, happier questions in the next post!
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X