HawaiiThreads Trivia Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads Trivia Game

Here are the questions for Day 14, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 17.
    Today: We could all use a smile.

question 1
    category: cartoons
    What is this guy's name?

question 2
    category: my favorite riddle
    Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?

question 3
    category: comedy
    Who once said, "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?"

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 17.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 14, our highest-scoring day yet!

question 1
      category: cartoons
      What is this guy's name?

He's The Best
      He's The Greatest
      He's The Greatest Secret Agent In The World!
      He's The Ace - He's Amazing...
      He's the Strongest... He's The Quickest... He's The Best!
      Danger Mouse!

Thanks to ZZType for the lyrics to the theme song! And Hip-Hips for a jolly good show from Kimo55, Helen, Moto, Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, and EastCoastTropics for correctly identifying the British rodent!

question 2
      category: my favorite riddle
      Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?

I never get tired of this riddle! It cracks me up every time! Of course the chicken crossed the Mobius strip to get to the same side! Clucks to Kimo55, Mel, Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, Kalei99, and EastCoastTropics for untangling the Mobius!

question 3
      category: comedy
      Who once said, "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?"

That would be the hilarious Steven Wright. Read this list of correct respondents in a low monotone: Kimo55, Mel, Surfingfarmboy, ZZtype, Kalei99, Kilinahe, EastCoastTropics, and Linkmeister.

Here are the current scores:

27.5: Surfingfarmboy
      24.5: EastCoastTropics, ZZType
      14.5: Helen
      7.5: Mel
      7: Linkmeister
      3: LikaNui, Kimo55, Kalei99, Kilinahe
      1: Glen Miyashiro, Moto

New questions, next post!
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 15, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 18.

question 1
        category: school days
        For one-fourth of a point each, name the Hawaii high schools whose teams are named:
        1. The Troubadors
        2. The Daggers
        3. The Seasiders (yes, that's not a typo)
        4. The Admirals
        5. The Bears
        6. The Dolphins
        7. The Golden Hawks
        8. The Vikings

question 2
        category: stuff
        Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, _______, and _________. What are the missing words?

question 3
        category: other stuff
        What publication's motto is "All the news that fits?"

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 18.
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 15! We're getting participants in record numbers!

question 1
          category: school days
          For one-fourth of a point each, name the Hawaii high schools whose teams are named:
          1. The Troubadors -- Saint Francis
          2. The Daggers -- Pahoa High School
          3. The Seasiders -- Laupahoehoe High School
          4. The Admirals -- ASSETS School
          5. The Bears -- Baldwin High School
          6. The Dolphins -- Academy of the Pacific OR Kula High School
          7. The Golden Hawks -- Nanakuli High School
          8. The Vikings -- Hilo High School

Rah-rah to Helen (1 correct), Mel (2), ZZType (8), Moto (8), Surfingfarmboy (8), EastCoastTropics (8), and Kalei99 (8).

question 2
          category: stuff
          Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, _______, and _________. What are the missing words?

Helen, ZZType, Kilinahe, Moto, Linkmeister, Surfingfarmboy, EastCoastTropics, and Kalei99 recognized the Boy Scout Law ('though some said it was the Scout Oath, which is something different) and gave the correct conclusion: "clean," and "reverent."

question 3
          category: other stuff
          What publication's motto is "All the news that fits?"

There seems to be some debate on the correct answer, but let me give mine and then open it up for discussion for anyone who thinks he or she has a legitimate beef. Across the top of the Table of Contents of every issue of Rolling Stone are the words, "All the news that fits." Yes, I know the New York Times has a similar slogan, and I know that the cliche has pervaded many areas of our culture, but these exact words have been associated with the Stone for a long time. If you can demonstrate that another periodical also prints these words consistently, I'll take your answer.

Meanwhile, howsabout some devil-horn salutes to Kilinahe and Surfingfarmboy for giving the answer I had in mind? Rock and roll!

31.5: Surfingfarmboy
          27.5: EastCoastTropics,
          27.5: ZZType
          15.75: Helen
          9.5: Mel
          6: Kalei99
          5: Kilinahe
          4: Moto
          3: LikaNui, Kimo55
          1: Glen Miyashiro
          Last edited by scrivener; March 18, 2005, 09:18 PM.
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 16, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 19.

question 1
            category: Hawaii
            There is a street in Honolulu that runs west from Punahou Street to Kamehameha Highway, moving through Makiki, Nuuanu, and Kalihi while adopting five different names along the way. In order from east to west, what are these five names?

question 2
            category: beverages
            What non-alcoholic favorite is properly made by adding grenadine to ginger ale and garnishing with a cherry?

question 3
            category: tv and music
            What's the name of the child actor who played Darren and Samantha Stevens's son on Bewitched, and what California band did he later front for fifteen years?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 19.

Please be aware that I am now officially on spring break, and may not always be home around nine p.m. every night. I'll pretty much always have new questions up by sun-up in Honolulu, though.
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Actually, the NYT motto is "All the News That's Fit to Print", a rather crucial difference.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

or like the motto of hawaiinews.com:

"all the news that fits, we print."

Comment

Google: "All the News That Fits"

Results 1 - 10 of about 22,200 for "All the news that fits"

Note that Rolling Stone doesn't even show up in the first several pages of that Google search. It may be there, but it is BURIED by all the other users of that phrase.

Rolling Stone may use it, but so does anyone and everyone else, it seems.

Blaine
                  Last edited by zztype; March 19, 2005, 08:01 AM. Reason: Additional info
                  Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

The fact that many others use it doesn't mean it's anyone else's motto or slogan. My guess is that the NYT's came first and the variants came after--it is a catchy phrase, after all. Perhaps the Stone was first to adopt this particular variant, or perhaps someone else was, but in my Google-searching, I didn't find another publication that uses it across the masthead or as a subtitle on the table of contents. The Playboy Bunny is rather ubiquitous, too, but it gets used all over the place with very little direct reference to the publication.

The fact that the Stone doesn't show up within the first several pages of a Google search doesn't mean a whole lot either. The phrase is a regular part of the print edition of the magazine, while the website seems to be something completely different. "Be Prepared" is the Scout motto, and everyone knows it; still, it doesn't show up within the first hundred Google returns either.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I knew it was Rolling Stone as well. The full and original slogan is the Times', but because of its fame (or infamy), some of the derivatives have become nearly as well known. ("All the news that's fit to blog" is a common one now, of course, along with "The future will be blogged," ad nauseum.)

HawaiiNews.com or any other news website, frankly, could go with stuff like, "Who cares if it fits - what print?" An article can be 500 or 50,000 words online, and trees don't die (at least not directly), just helpless electrons.

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 16: The Day I Admit I Am An Idiot.

question 1
                        There is a street in Honolulu that runs west from Punahou Street to Kamehameha Highway, moving through Makiki, Nuuanu, and Kalihi while adopting five different names along the way. In order from east to west, what are these five names?

It's my favorite way home from just about anywhere in town and a really great bike-ride, too, if that hill near Roosevelt High doesn't murder me. Mel, Kimo55, Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, and Moto correctly submitted Nehoa Street, Prospect Street, Iolani Avenue, School Street, and Middle Street as the names this bizarre roadway ticks off as you drive in the Ewa direction. I'm giving Helen a half-point for naming four of five.

I really like this question, and it sounded like some of you enjoyed answering it. This is nice to know, especially considering that I am an idiot!

question 2
                        category: beverages
                        What non-alcoholic favorite is properly made by adding grenadine to ginger ale and garnishing with a cherry?

Cheers to Helen, Surfingfarmboy, Kimo55, ZZType, and Moto for correctly identifying the Shirley Temple. Several people mentioned that 7-Up is often substituted for ginger ale, which is true, but that's not a proper Shirley Temple and places that make such a substitution should be ashamed of themselves. I've been places that also substitute cherry syrup for grenadine. You can imagine my disdain.

question 3
                        category: tv and music
                        What's the name of the child actor who played Darren and Samantha Stevens's son on Bewitched, and what California band did he later front for fifteen years?

Okay, here's where I admit I am an idiot. See, I'm not a big fan of the TV show, but I am a big fan of the band. Gene "Eugene" Andrusco was the frontman of Adam Again, a California band that is one of my all-time favorites. When he died in 2000, tributes sprung up all over, and nearly every one mentioned that Gene had played Adam Stephens on Bewitched, which is true, but as several people pointed out, he only played him in one episode (he later played in a guest role in another episode). I didn't know that. So for two of the past three days, I have posted a bogus question.

As Gene frequently reminded me, we are all flawed vessels aching for a glimpse of grace, and I have illustrated it well these last two nights. I'm giving points to everyone who guessed anything at all for question three, with a special high-five to Surfingfarmboy, who actually submitted Gene Andrusco as his guess, and to Mel for knowing exactly who I was talking about but didn't mention Gene by name.

So shout-outs to Helen, Mel, Surfingfarmboy, and ZZType for not leaving it blank!
                        There is a reason;
                        I don't know what it is--
                        A bloody season,
                        Well I've heard that these things happen
                        Worldwide,
                        Worldwide.

Don't think I'll ever understand it;
                        Don't think it matters if I do;
                        Three billion people in the world
                        And I only know a few...

"Worldwide" by Gene Eugene.

Here are the current standings:

34.5: Surfingfarmboy
                        30.5: ZZType
                        27.5: EastCoastTropics
                        18.25: Helen
                        11.5: Mel
                        6: Kalei99, Moto
                        5: Kilinahe, Kimo55
                        3: LikaNui

Last edited by scrivener; March 19, 2005, 09:04 PM.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 17, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 20.

question 1
                          What is the name of Honolulu's near-daily Japanese-language newspaper?

question 2
                          category: wildlife
                          What aspect of a flamingo's lifestyle gives it its interesting color?

question 3
                          category: you'll never get this one correct
                          What is the name of the trophy awarded each year to the winner of the Hawaii State Backgammon Tournament?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 20.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 17.

question 1
                            What is the name of Honolulu's near-daily Japanese-language newspaper?

My mom has subscribed to The Hawaii Hochi for as long as I can remember, and I'll bet yours has, too! Banzai to Helen, Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, Mel, Moto, and EastCoastTropics!

question 2
                            category: wildlife
                            What aspect of a flamingo's lifestyle gives it its interesting color?

I figured this was a gimme, but I was looking for a reason to use the word "flamingo," one of the funniest words in the American lexicon. Yes, the flamingo eats mostly crustaceans high in carotene, and this carotene gives it its terrific pinkish glow. I don't know how true this is, but I've been told that there's a flamingo at the Honolulu Zoo that imprinted with humans and will come when called by name during mating season. So the next time you're there, call out "Norman!" when you see the flamingos. Shrimps and prawns to Helen, ZZType, Moto, Surfingfarmboy, Mel, and EastCoastTropics for their talon-ted responses. I hope they weren't just winging it.

question 3
                            category: you'll never get this one correct
                            What is the name of the trophy awarded each year to the winner of the Hawaii State Backgammon Tournament?

Well put me on the bar and offer me the doubling cube. There's no OFFICIAL name of the trophy, but it's usually called the Prince Joli Kansil Cup after the man who won the tournament in 1973 and 2001 and who donated the perpetual trophy. Seven-primes to Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, and Moto for nailing that one.

37.5: Surfingfarmboy
                            33.5: ZZType
                            29.5: EastCoastTropics
                            20.25: Helen
                            13.5: Mel
                            9: Moto

GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 18, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 21.

question 1
                              category: television
                              Okay, here's a really tough one. We all know that Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy, and Joanie Loves Chachi were spinoffs of that great television show Happy Days, but did you know that Happy Days was spun off from another television show? What show was it?

question 2
                              category: games
                              What is the name of this video game?

question 3
                              category: radio
                              Where did Dr. Demento earn his Bachelor's degree?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 21.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 18: Pop Culture Maximus!

question 1
                                category: television
                                Okay, here's a really tough one. We all know that Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy, and Joanie Loves Chachi were spinoffs of that great television show Happy Days, but did you know that Happy Days was spun off from another television show? What show was it?

Wow. You people are the first I've ever known who were able to track this down--it must be easier than it used to be. Yes, Happy Days was spun off from a sketch on Love, American Style, that show featuring two or three short bits all with themes about love. Remember how The Twilight Zone had different characters and settings every week? Love, American Style had different characters and settings every ten or fifteen minutes--it was really good television. The installment in question (or in answer, as it were) focused on Richie and Howard Cunningham (although they might have had different names; they were the same actors), and Happy Days fans will remember that in the early years, the relationship between Howard and Richie was the emphasis of the show. Correct-o-mundos to Helen, Moto, ZZType, and EastCoastTropics for not letting their brains just "sit on it."

question 2
                                category: games
                                What is the name of this video game?

Ah, memories of wasted quarters (not to mention wasted time) on this, one of the true coin-eaters! Yes, it was Gauntlet, the best multi-player arcade video game I can think of. Helen, ZZType, and Surfingfarmboy get power-ups for remembering.

Additionally, ZZType sent along this really cool Gauntlet emulation (flash-based); it is pretty nifty, so give it a look!

question 3
                                category: radio
                                Where did Dr. Demento earn his Bachelor's degree?

The loony Dr. Demento hosts a syndicated radio show specializing in novelty songs, and always impresses with his encyclopedic knowledge of popular music, not to mention his quick wit. The good doctor earned his Bachelor's degree from Reed College in Portland, Oregon. Fish heads, fish heads, roley poley fish heads to Moto, ZZType, EastCoastTropics, and Surfingfarmboy for their Demented skills!

Honorable mention goes to Helen for this answer: "Southern North Dakota University."

Here are the current scores!

39.5: Surfingfarmboy
                                36.5: ZZType
                                31.5: EastCoastTropics
                                22.25: Helen
                                13.5: Mel
                                12: Moto
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X