• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads Trivia Game

Here are the answers for Day 23!
    question 1
    category: music
    What class of instruments does the piano belong to?

I wasn't specific in asking this question, so I'm taking any of these answers: strings, percussion, and keyboards. The answer I really wanted was percussion. Helen, Surfingfarmboy, Miulang, Mel, ZZType, Linkmeister, Moto, Kalei99, and EastCoastTropics avoided treble and got that one right!

question 2
    category: food
    In some countries, they're called shish-kebabs. In Japan, they're yakitori. What are skewers of meat called in Indonesia?

Satay, which it seems everyone in the world knew, including Surfingfarmboy, Miulang, ZZType, Moto, EastCoastTropics, and Kalei99!

question 3
    category: thrills
    Which Disneyland ride is an indoor roller-coaster in the dark with cool laser-lights? Bonus question worth zero points: What rock album did I swear, when I rode this ride for the first time at age fifteen, I would bring with me the next time I was at the Magic Kingdom?

Ah yes. Space Mountain. The answer to the bonus question is Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon! It was 1984 and I was fifteen and I still haven't been back there to give it another whirl. Mouse-ear hats go to Surfingfarmboy, Mel, ZZType, Moto, Kalei99, and EastCoastTropics for nailing the main question.

Here are the guesses for the zero-point bonus!
    • Helen: Pink Floyd's The Wall, which is close enough for half credit!
    • Surfingfarmboy: Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, which he says was a total guess, since he doesn't know very many rock albums.
    • Mel: Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.
    • ZZType: Gave several suggestions, including Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland and Led Zep's I, but then finally got around to "If you're talking 1973 or 1974, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon was out, though one might have considered taking The Floyd's earlierMeddle album for its psychedelic "Echoes," or Atom Heart Mother, before that."
    • Moto: "I would have probably chose a Led Zepplin album myself. Hmmm, but getting back to the question, I come up with blanks, but would guess Van Halen?"
    • Kalei99: The Jimi Hendrix Experience's Are You Experienced?, which probably would have been my second choice. I was a huge Jimi fan in that summer before my tenth grade year.

Thanks for playing! Here are the current scores!

54.5: Surfingfarmboy
    51: ZZType
    45.5: EastCoastTropics
    25.25: Helen
    24: Moto
    15.5: Mel
    11: Kalei99
    8: Linkmeister,
    6: Kimo55
    5: Kilinahe
    3.5: Miulang
    3: LikaNui
    1: Glen Miyashiro

New questions, next post!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 24, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 27. Only five more days, after this set, left in the contest!

question 1
      category: literature
      What is the name of Encyclopedia Brown's arch-nemesis?

question 2
      What are the names of the gay lovers in Matt Groening's Life in Hell?

question 3
      category: Hawaii
      Which current member of the Hawaii State House of Representatives began his or her collegiate career on an athletic scholarship in swimming?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 27.
      Happy Easter, everyone.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 24!

question 1
        What is the name of Encyclopedia Brown's arch-nemesis?

Ah, yes. That would be Bugs Meany, leader of the Tigers. I do not understand why this series has never been dramatized for television. It would be perfect for the afterschool crowd, don't you think? ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, Moto, Mel, Kalei99, and EastCoastTropics got that one right, but did they take a peek at the back of the book first?

Honorable mention for Helen's answer: Paperback Green. Helen, I really think you should check out the series. It would appeal to your analytical side, and the mysteries are only a few pages long each.

question 2
        What are the names of the gay lovers in Matt Groening's Life in Hell?

Akbar and Jeff, two of the funniest lovers in comics history. Kudos to ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, Moto, Mel, EastCoastTropics, and Kalei99 for embracing that one!

question 3
        Which current member of the Hawaii State House of Representatives began his or her collegiate career on an athletic scholarship in swimming?

He injured himself and later didn't need the scholarship, since he probably got tuition waivers for editing Ka Leo O Hawaii and presiding over ASUH, but Representative K. Mark Takai did start his collegiate career as a high-school champion swimmer. Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, and ZZType got that one without going over the deep-end, 'though Kalei99 says she came close: "...wasted my whole day trying to find this one. Why? Beats me - just sadistic, I guess." That's what we like to see: a mental-health-be-darned approach to trivia!

Okay. Here are the current scores!

57.5: Surfingfarmboy
        54: ZZType
        47.5: EastCoastTropics
        26: Moto
        25.25: Helen
        17.5: Mel
        14: Kalei99
        8: Linkmeister,
        3.5: Miulang
        3: LikaNui

New questions, next post!
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 25, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 28. Only four more days, after this set, left in the contest!

question 1
          category: geography
          For one-fourth of a point each, identify the American city whose nickname is
          1. The City by the Bay
          2. Big D
          3. Motor City
          4. The City of Angels
          5. The Biggest Little City in the World
          6. Sin City
          7. Beantown
          8. The Big Easy
          9. Motown
          10. The Mile-High City
          11. Music City
          12. Dogtown

question 2
          In what Oahu neighborhood is the Swiss Consulate located?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 28.
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 25!

question 1
            category: geography
            For one-fourth of a point each, identify the American city whose nickname is
            1. The City by the Bay -- San Francisco
            2. Big D -- Dallas
            3. Motor City -- Detroit
            4. The City of Angels -- Los Angeles
            5. The Biggest Little City in the World -- Reno
            6. Sin City -- Las Vegas
            7. Beantown -- Boston
            8. The Big Easy -- New Orleans
            9. Motown -- Detroit
            10. The Mile-High City -- Denver
            11. Music City -- Nashville
            12. Dogtown -- A lot of places, including St. Louis and Venice Beach

Passport stamps go to:
            Helen (8 correct)
            Surfingfarmboy (12)
            Kalei99 (12)
            Miulang (12)
            Linkmeister (12)
            ZZType (12)
            Mokihana (12)
            EastCoastTropics (12)
            Moto (12)

question 2
            In what Oahu neighborhood is the Swiss Consulate located?

Of course Nuuanu would be a great guess (and a few of you guessed that), but it's in Kahala / Black Point / Diamondhead, which Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, Miulang, ZZType, and EastCoastTropics got right. Schnitzel for all!

Here are the current scores, with four days left to play:

61.5: Surfingfarmboy
            58: ZZType
            51.5: EastCoastTropics
            29: Moto
            27.25: Helen
            20.5: Mel
            18: Kalei99
            11: Linkmeister
            6.5: Miulang
            3: LikaNui, Mokihana

n e w q u e s t i o n s , n e x t p o s t !
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 26 (holy moley!), due by 9:00 in the evening on March 29. Only three more days, after this set, left in the contest!

I'm going to try to come up with only questions about Hawaii until the end of the contest, but I get these out of my own tired cranium, so we'll see!

question 1
              If the whole state is built on basalt, which is black, where does Hawaii get all the red dirt?

question 2
              Father Damien's statue at the state capitol building is nearest Beretania Street. Whose statue is on the other end of the building?

question 3
              According to the song, where can you get "a wonderful variety of merchandise?"

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 29.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 26!
                question 1
                If the whole state is built on basalt, which is black, where does Hawaii get all the red dirt?

The basalt has a high iron content. When that iron oxidizes it turns red, which a zillion people knew, including Moto, Kimo55, ZZType, Helen, Surfingfarmboy, EastCoatTropics, and Kalei99.

Says Kalei99: "Geez Louise, I feel like I'm back in school again in Mr. Yoshida's science class!" I'm sure she's not the only one who was taken back in time by that question. What I wanna know is, what school was that?

question 2
                Father Damien's statue at the state capitol building is nearest Beretania Street. Whose statue is on the other end of the building?

Sometimes I wish they could somehow trade places every few years, just to give Queen Liliuokalani's statue the more visible spot. I'm an admirer of both statues (not to mention the people whom they honor), but I have always really liked the way the Queen is represented in this particular sculpture. Such class, such dignity, such grace. She also seems like a woman whose bad side you wouldn't want to get on. Pakalana leis to Moto, Kimo55, ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, Mel, EastCoastTropics, and Kalei99 for knowing their statues!

question 3
                According to the song, where can you get "a wonderful variety of merchandise?"

"When you walk through the doorway
                What a great surprise:
                A wonderful variety of merchandise!
                It's all laid out there before your eyes
                At the Hasegawa General Store!"

Well. I was worried that I chose the wrong lyric; I was concerned that while I didn't want to choose a lyric too easily recognized, THIS one was going to fly over people's heads, and THEN they'd say, "Oh yeah!" Boy was I wrong. Seems like you couldn't wait to answer this one--I swear I have p/mail submissions from some of you stamped with times that came before I submitted the post! I KNEW I should have chosen "E Lei Ka Lei Lei" or something, but then perhaps this special song resonates with us all, because even if we haven't been there, we know this place, yeah? I mean, there're a lot of places like that in this state ('though sadly, fewer and fewer), and it IS a great song. So muu muus, mangos, and ukuleles (but no hamburgers, 'cause you've proven you're no malihinis) to Kimo55, ZZType, Helen, Surfingfarmboy, Mel, EastCoastTropics, and Kalei99.

Surfingfarmboy has a few really sweet things to say about, well, not about the Hasegawa General Store, but about what the mention of that store brings to mind. I'd love to have printed it, but I wasn't sure how personal it was. So if you wish, SFB...

Okay. Here are the current scores with three days left to play!

64.5: Surfingfarmboy
                61: ZZType
                54.5: EastCoastTropics
                31: Moto
                29.25: Helen
                22.5: Mel
                21: Kalei99
                9: Kimo55

n e W q u E s t I o n S , n e X t p O s t !
                Last edited by scrivener; March 29, 2005, 09:05 PM.
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 27 (wow!), due by 9:00 in the evening on March 30. Only two more days, after this set, left in the contest!

question 1
                  For one-fifth of a point each, identify the commercial spokesperson who was (or is) famous for repeatedly delivering these signature lines AND identify the name of the businesses being plugged!
                  1. Go now, Hawaii! Why pay more?
                  2. Nobody beats __________ -- Nobody!
                  3. I'm _________ and away we go!
                  4. Thank you, very much!
                  5. Keeaumokuuuuuu! Keeaumokuuuuuu!

question 2
                  What are the names of four of Oahu's drive-in theaters? (those two in Aiea count as one!)

question 3
                  In what Oahu town do you live if your house is in Royal Summit?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 30.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I KNEW I should have chosen "E Lei Ka Lei Lei" or something, but then perhaps this special song resonates with us all, because even if we haven't been there, we know this place, yeah?
                    I have the both of these records... on vinyl.... "E Lei Ka Lei Lei" by Don Ho and "Hasegawa General Store" by Pua Alemeida on Capitol Records... bought it from the original Hasegawa General Store in Hana way back in 1972.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Ah, shucks, Mitchell...I'm not embarressed! I tell people about the VLH/Hasegawa connection often times whenever the Hasegawa General Store comes into a conversation.

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 27: The Day of the Multiple Submissions!

You ladies and gentlemen crack me up. Many of you changed your minds about your answers and submitted corrections. Moto p/mailed me SIX times today, apologizing for each correction! Helen and Mel got me twice each. It was a blast reading all your responses!
                        question 1
                        For one-fifth of a point each, identify the commercial spokesperson who was (or is) famous for repeatedly delivering these signature lines AND identify the name of the businesses being plugged!
                        1. Go now, Hawaii! Why pay more? -- Malcolm Love, Consumer Tire Warehouse
                        2. Nobody beats __________ -- Nobody! -- Tanya, Sleepland USA
                        3. I'm _________ and away we go! -- Didi Ah Yo, Creative Holidays
                        4. Thank you, very much! -- Lex Brodie, Lex Brodie's Tire Company (I would also have accepted Sandy Brodie, but if you knew enough to say Sandy, you knew enough to say Lex)
                        5. Keeaumokuuuuuu! Keeaumokuuuuuu! -- Wally "Famous" Amos, the Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookie

Now, I am very confident that the answer I'm accepting for that last one is the only really good answer, but Kalei99 and ZZType both submitted George "Granny Goose" Groves, so if someone can convince me that that is also a good answer, I'll go along. At least one other person guessed Granny on one of the other ones, too. I wonder if he's happy that this is how he's remembered--as a guy on commercials.

Moto reminded me that the B questions could reasonably have been answered Midas, since they used the same catchphrase for a while, but the category IS Hawaii, and I think it was quite clear that we were looking for local commercials.

Okay, so here's how the scores for this question look:
                        Kalei99 (3 correct)
                        EastCoastTropics (3)
                        Moto (4)
                        Surfingfarmboy (3)
                        Helen (3)
                        ZZType (4)
                        Mel (2)

Finally, it was pointed out to me by a few of you that I forgot Kalani, from Ponderosa Pines. Do you understand what an accomplishment it is to forget such a thing? Thanks a lot for putting it back up there in my poor head--I shall never forgive you.

question 2
                        What are the names of four of Oahu's drive-in theaters? (those two in Aiea count as one!)

Acceptable answers were the Royal Sunset, Kam, Kapiolani (or Holiday), Waialae/Kahala, and Kailua. EastCoastTropics is the only one who mentioned Tropical Drive In -- does anyone else know about this one? Moto says there may have been one on Kapahulu, where the golf course is now. Could this be it? Anyone?

Okay, so Junior Mints and suicides go to Mel, ZZType, Helen, Moto, Surfingfarmboy, Mel, EastCoastTropics, and Kalei99!

question 3
                        In what Oahu town do you live if your house is in Royal Summit?

Aiea. Bryan's Sectionals to ZZType, Moto, and EastCoastTropics for knowing their Aiea from their Pearl City!

Whew! THAT was a lot of work. Okay, so here are the current scores with two days left to play:

66.1: Surfingfarmboy
                        63.8: ZZType
                        57.1: EastCoastTropics
                        33.8: Moto
                        30.85: Helen
                        23.9: Mel
                        22.6: Kalei99

! t S o P t X e N , s N o I t S e U q W e N
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 28 (dang!), due by 9:00 in the evening on March 31. Only two more days, after this set, left in the contest!

question 1
                          You simmer the leaves of the mountain taro in water until they're really mushy. You add this plus coconut milk to sauted onions and calamari. What local favorite have you just put together?

question 2
                          Which of U2's hits did the band mostly write during the soundcheck for a Hawaii concert?

question 3
                          What local organization provides for runaway and homeless youth (emphasis on youth), among other services, a place for showers, meals, lockers, and laundry?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 31.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                            Only two more days, after this set, left in the contest!

Make that ONE more day. Oops.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 28!
                              question 1
                              You simmer the leaves of the mountain taro in water until they're really mushy. You add this plus coconut milk to sauted onions and calamari. What local favorite have you just put together?

Personally, I don't see how squid luau could possibly be any good, but ZZType says it's his favorite, EastCoastTropics says she's gotta have it whenever she comes home, and Kalei99 scolds me for mentioning it--"Now you made me ono for squid luau!" Well double-helpings go to ZZType, Kalei99, EastCoastTropics, Moto, and Surfingfarmboy for getting their slimy tentacles around that one!

question 2
                              Which of U2's hits did the band mostly write during the soundcheck for a Hawaii concert?

"Pride (in the name of love)," which is interesting for a few reasons. First, this is an Irish band and they wrote this great song about an American leader, Martin Luther King. Also, U2 almost became crusaders for the MLK holiday in January, focusing a lot of disappointment at Arizona; what a lot of people don't seem to remember is that Hawaii was also one of the last states to adopt the holiday. U2 did a special concert in Arizona to call attention to the cause; did the band pay any attention to Hawaii, the birthplace of this song, which became something of a rallying cry on behalf of instituting the holiday? It did not. In fact, it has yet to return to the islands for another show. There is NO justice in this world. ZZType, Moto, Surfingfarmboy, EastCoastTropics, and Kalei99 had enough Edge to get that one right!

question 3
                              What local organization provides for runaway and homeless youth (emphasis on youth), among other services, a place for showers, meals, lockers, and laundry?

I used to work there, and chances are, you know someone who has made use of the many services provided by Hale Kipa. Congratulations to ZZType, Moto, Surfingfarmboy, and Kalei99 for getting that one right.

Okay. With only one day left, here are the current scores:

69.1: Kalei99
                              66.8: Helen
                              59.1: Moto
                              36.8: EastCoastTropics
                              30.85: ZZType
                              25.6: Surfingfarmboy
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

WHAAAA?????? NANIKA, DESU?

Scores, day 27:

66.1: Surfingfarmboy
                                63.8: ZZType
                                57.1: EastCoastTropics
                                33.8: Moto
                                30.85: Helen
                                22.6: Kalei99