• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glen Miyashiro
    replied
    Re: HawaiiThreads Mini-Contest: Logos, Buildings, and Art

Originally posted by scrivener
    What is it about bank logos? Are they so visible that they plaster themselves into our brains, or do the banks just do a really good job of selecting effective symbols?
    Hey, when you see that logo on an envelope -- one that you want to open and know the contents of -- once a month for years and years, it kinda seeps into your subconscious.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 13! Answers due by 9:00 p.m. June 29 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo: Not really a logo, but it'll have to do for today!

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 12 Answers!

Logo:
    What is it about bank logos? Are they so visible that they plaster themselves into our brains, or do the banks just do a really good job of selecting effective symbols? I don't know, but perhaps Glen Miyashiro, shave ice, helen, Surfingfarmboy, mel, AuntieNellieKulolo, dick, or kimo55, who all identified this logo, could answer.

Art:
    This is not very well shot. Don't laugh, dick--I took it in a hurry!
    This sculpture, by Mamoru Sato, is called Passage and is located on Punchbowl Street, near the parking garage. A close looks reveals that the side "entrance" of the passage is colored black, to represent the difficult periods we face. The face of the "exit" is mirrored, to illustrate our condition when we emerge from the difficult times. Congratulations to Glen Miyashiro, AuntieNellieKulolo, dick, and helen, who recognized the rather interesting (or "goofy" as Glen Miyashiro calls it!) work. Most popular wrong guess: The people standing around outside the UH Law Library.

Building:
    Easily the most recognizable building on the island, except for maybe Aloha Tower, the State Capitol Building symbolizes a volcanic island, complete with surrounding water, concrete palm tree pillars, and crater, opening up to the sky. Do you know that our Capitol building is the only capitol building in the country that doesn't have a rotunda? I say that makes it cool all by itself, don't you? By the way, does anyone know the story on that American Savings Bank building on Ward (hm...banks again) that looks like a miniature version of the capitol? Always was curious about that. Political favors go out to Glen Miyashiro, shave ice, helen, Surfingfarmboy, mel, Moto, Linkmeister, AuntieNellieKulolo, dick, kimo55, and Lavagal for correctly identifying the building.

H]ere are the cu]rrent] standings!
    24: Glen Miyashiro
    20: kimo55
    16: helen
    14: mel
    13: Surfingfarmboy
    10: AbsoluteChaos, dick
    6: cezanne, Linkmeister
    5: 1stwahine
    4: Lavagal
    3: AuntieNellieKulolo
    2: jdub, shave ice
    1: moto

New Photos, Next Post!]]]]]]]]]
    Last edited by scrivener; June 28, 2005, 10:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cezanne
    replied

I know nobody asked, but I always thought the components of this mural, taken separately, were much more interesting than the mural itself, so here are a few details.

[center][img]http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/contest/campuscenter4.jpg
    [img]http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/contest/campuscenter2.jpg
    [img]http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/contest/campuscenter3.jpg
    For those interested, the mural's title is Hawai`i Ka`u Kumu, which I think means "Hawaii, Our Teacher." It is credited to Calley O'Neill with Theresa Ho, Christopher Turco, and others, 1982.
    I remember them painting that.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 12! Answers due by 9:00 p.m., June 28 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 11 Answers!

Logo:
    AbsoluteChaos, Surfingfarmboy, Linkmeister, Glen Miyashiro, Moto, mel, kimo55, helen, and Lavagal all recognized the Central Pacific Bank logo; of nine respondants tonight, all nine of them knew this one! And look: A Moto sighting!

Art:
    Man, I hate this painting on the wall above the Queen Street / South Street Kinko's. The eyes in the mountains are kind of cool, but the shark (which intentionally is not seen in this picture) is all wrong, unless I'm getting the painting all wrong. Take a close look at it next time and tell me you don't see something wrong with how it's painted! Mountain apples go to Glen Miyashiro, kimo55, and Lavagal for recognizing one of the ugliest murals I've seen in this town.

Building:
    Ah, yes. The Board of Water Supply's Kakaako Pumping Station: highly visible, much-discussed, long-unused, and most interesting. AbsoluteChaos, Linkmeister, Glen Miyashiro, Mel, helen, kimo55, and Lavagal all recognized the venerable landmark. Additionally, mel provides this linke to a great article about the building. Personally, I always thought it would make a lovely playhouse, although I also like the brewpub idea!

Okay, the art photo from three days ago is the Nagasaki Peace Bell on the grounds of the city's municipal center, close to the Punchbowl / Beretania intersection and right behind the Early Education Center. If you went to Taste of Honolulu, you were very close to it. Apparently my clue about it being rung once a year is wrong. It seems that in addition to the the anniversary date of the Nagasaki bombing, the bell is also rung on Martin Luther King Day. My mother is a past and possibly current president of the Honolulu chapter of Nagasaki Kenjinkai, which is why she's rung the bell.

Surfingfarmboy and Glen Miyashiro scored on that photo's last day.

Here are the current standings!
    21: Glen Miyashiro
    16: kimo55
    13: helen
    12: mel
    11: Surfingfarmboy
    10: AbsoluteChaos
    7: dick
    6: cezanne
    5: 1stwahine, Linkmeister
    3: Lavagal
    2: jdub
    1: moto

N]ew P}hoto]s, next] post]], ]if th]is st]upi]d malf]u]nct]ining key]board doesn't] dri]ve me] b]at]t]y f]irst]!} T]his po]st] took an] hour t]o write]! ]]]]}]w]]
    ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
    Last edited by scrivener; June 27, 2005, 11:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 11! Answers due by 9:00 p.m., June 27 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

...and don't forget that the day-before-yesterday's art photo is still live!

Good luck, and have fun!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

I know nobody asked, but I always thought the components of this mural, taken separately, were much more interesting than the mural itself, so here are a few details.

For those interested, the mural's title is Hawai`i Ka`u Kumu, which I think means "Hawaii, Our Teacher." It is credited to Calley O'Neill with Theresa Ho, Christopher Turco, and others, 1982.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 10 answers!

Logo:
    It's a pretty lame logo, if you ask me, but Surfingfarmboy, Glen Miyashiro, and mel all recognized it. Adds Surfingfarmboy: "I believe the first logo they used, back in their infancy, was 'Moki Man.'" Whew. Good thing he's not running the trivia contest, 'cause I'd never have gotten that right!

Art:
    "Oooooohhhh," some of you are thinking now, recognizing the art in its whole. Yes, it's probably the most visible art on the campus at UH-Manoa, right there in the heart of Campus Center. Full credit and no homework goes to Glen Miyashiro and that's it! I'm so fond of this mural that I'm including a few more shots of it in the next post.

Building:
    I don't think it's opened yet, but the day before yesterday they began moving the cars from the used-car lot on Automobile Row and from the main lot on Ala Moana Boulevard to this new Honolulu Ford location on Houghtailing. New Ford Mustangs go to Glen Miyashiro and mel for recognizing the new locale. By the way, New City Nissan is also moving to Kalihi, on the property that is currently the Kalihi Shopping Center. I don't know whether to be pleased or disappointed, to be honest.

And here's one more look at yesterday's still-unanswered art object, with another two clues:

clue 1: My mom, who is from Sasebo, Japan, has been invited to ring the bell, which is rung exactly once a year.
    clue 2: http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/140...00/8442487.jpg

17: Glen Miyashiro
    13: kimo55
    11: helen
    10: mel
    9: Surfingfarmboy
    8: AbsoluteChaos
    3: Linkmeister

New photos, post after next!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 10! Answers due by 9:00p.m., June 26 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art:

Building:

...and don't forget that yesterday's art photo is still live!

Good luck, and have fun!
    Last edited by scrivener; June 25, 2005, 11:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 9 Answers!

Logo:
    Fill-ups go to mel, Surfingfarmboy, AbsoluteChaos, Glen Miyashiro, and dick for recognizing the seemingly ubiquitous Tesoro logo.

Art: I was quite sure nobody would get this one, so here's a second look and a clue.
    Clue: That bird atop the bell is a crane.

Building:
    Here's another look at St. Andrew's Cathedral on Beretania and Queen Emma. If that guy looking at a map needs direction, he's headed in the wrong direction--he should be going INTO the building! Congratulations to helen, AbsoluteChaos, Glen Miyashiro, kimo55, dick, and mel for recognizing the Episcopal priory.

14: Glen Miyashiro
    13: kimo55
    11: helen
    8: Surfingfarmboy, AbsoluteChaos, mel

New photos, next post!
    Last edited by scrivener; June 25, 2005, 10:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 9! Answers due by 9:00p.m., June 25 in PRIVATE MAIL.

Logo:

Art: I will be shocked (shocked!) if someone gets this on the first day!

Building:

Good luck, and have fun!
    Last edited by scrivener; June 24, 2005, 11:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Father Damien is one of my favorite historical figures. In a world where people worry about being used or taken advantage of or ripped off, here was a man who just took care of others' needs.

and if... you want to witness a fairly good rendition of said life, rent da video.
    Has kristoferson among many others. Great story.
    will humble you into the life of a nun!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Day 8 Answers!

Logo:
    We've all seen the sign a million times, but it was only correctly identified by helen, mel, Glen Miyashiro, dick, and cezanne!

Art:
    It's one of my favorite sculptures ever, and Father Damien is one of my favorite historical figures. In a world where people worry about being used or taken advantage of or ripped off, here was a man who just took care of others' needs. Molokai mule rides to Glen Miyashiro, Surfingfarmboy, and cezanne for recognizing the good Father's statue in front of the State Capital building.

Building:
    Of all the photos I've posted so far, this is probably the least fair. Anyone familiar with the campus at UH-Manoa would know it immediately, while anyone else wouldn't have a prayer. Still, it's quite a building. Mortarboards to helen, Glen Miyashiro, kimo55, dick, and cezanne for recognizing Jefferson Hall, one of several buildings that comprise the East West Center.

12: kimo55, Glen Miyashiro
    10: helen
    7: Surfingfarmboy
    6: AbsoluteChaos, mel, cezanne
    5: 1stwahine, dick

Hey! If you haven't jumped in yet and still want to play, just play!
    New photos, next post!
    Last edited by scrivener; June 24, 2005, 11:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Originally posted by Linkmeister
    We have a hanging clay fish tank from Rare Discovery. Mom bought it for Dad's birthday or something, and I carted it home. The damned box tore a hole in my fabric-covered car seat.
    Whoa. That's super-cool, and exactly the kind of thing I loved looking at on those days I'd cruise Ward Warehouse after school. It was such a great store!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X