Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Name That Food

Originally posted by Pomai

Surfingfarmboy, you got me. The only product from the mainland who should have the RIGHT to use "Hawaii's Favorite" as their slogan would be SPAM.
    Hint: It's marketed by a mainland company. For all I know, it may be actually be made in Hawai'i. One more hint: "Hawaii's Favorite" is printed on the package it is sold in.

Comment

Another giveaway...

This makes Vidalia, Texas and the Valley Isle oh, so SWEET.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Another giveaway...

This makes Vidalia, Texas and the Valley Isle oh, so SWEET.
        I've had sweet onions from both Vidalia, Georgia (onion growers in that area have a trademark right to the name "Vidalia Onion") and Maui. I didn't know Texas grew the sweet varieties as well; generally speaking, Texas grows the the really hot ones that make 'ya cry when you cut them.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy

This tasty confection, marketed by a company based in Los Angeles, proclaims itself as "Hawaii's Favorite". What is it?
          King's Bakery sweet bread?

Comment

Heard about that on a Food Network show showcasing the Onion. It's called the Texas SpringSweet and Texas 1015 SuperSweet.

This could be your "Rhode" to wealth and fame... Surfingfarmboy's RHODE TO SWEET ONION!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
              King's Bakery sweet bread?
              The "tasty confection" I'm looking for, marketed by the Christopher Candy Co. of Los Angeles, is none other than: the "Good News" bar..the chocolate/peanut/caramel candy bar, which can be found at most Long's, Pricebusters, and mom & pop corner stores, for around 50-55 cents. It's sold in the red mylar wrapping, with "Good News" and "Hawaii's Favorite" printed in yellow and silver. (The "Hawaii's Favorite" part is in a yellow exclamation-type jagged balloon) The only place I've ever seen this candy sold is in Hawai'i!
              Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; May 14, 2006, 10:54 AM.

Comment

This could be your "Rhode" to wealth and fame... Surfingfarmboy's RHODE TO SWEET ONION!
                Yep..that's news to me about the Texas "sweet" onion crop. Around here, all we get are the Vidialia in the sweet onion department. Right now, the Vidalias are in season...the first one came to market here about two weeks ago, and they can be had for about 99 cents a pound. I don't think Vidalias are all that sweet though in comparison to Maui's crop; I think Maui onions beat Vidalias big time. But now, I'm curious about the Texas ones...I doubt I can get any here, but I do appreciate the link with info on them!

Comment

This disgusting candy is basically the inside of a Butterfinger, but rolled in toasted coconut rather than dipped in chocolate. It's awful.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                    This disgusting candy is basically the inside of a Butterfinger, but rolled in toasted coconut rather than dipped in chocolate. It's awful.
                    The Zagnut bar. Is it still around?

Comment

Oooh...that's not what I was thinking of, but yeah, I think it is still around.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                        Ubiquitous? Ho, I bet you live mainland, yeah? Must be something that sounds like loco moco?
                        Yeah, but what is it? I dunno if many peeps in Hawai'i ever heard of it, but I know it exists in areas where EVERYTHING from a pig is used! And it was "invented" way before loco moco was.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Scrivener, is that candy you're talking about called CHICK-O-STICK?

Bleck.. how I HATE Butterfingers. That weird peanut butter crap in it is aweful. Nothing beats the REESES Peanut Butter Cup.

Miulang, what else is in that "Chinese Pig's Blood" dish? Tofu? Stir Fry Vegetables?
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Miulang, what else is in that "Chinese Pig's Blood" dish? Tofu? Stir Fry Vegetables?
                            As far as I can remember, it was chopped up "chitterlings", blood, and a few spices (maybe Chinese 5-spice) but no vinegar or chili peppers. It had a kind of maroonish-brownish "sauce" and actually was very tasty.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

GlossyP, I've never seen canned Haupia either. Does that exist on the mainland?
                              I was referring to the use of canned coconut milk rather than fresh in the preparation.

Comment

Scrivener, is that candy you're talking about called CHICK-O-STICK?

Bleck.. how I HATE Butterfingers. That weird peanut butter crap in it is aweful. Nothing beats the REESES Peanut Butter Cup.
                                Wow, I thought I was the only person in this world who HATES Butterfingers! It's the candybar of choice for almost all of those around me. They make me feel like such an outcast.

Chick-o-sticks are popular around these parts too, it seems.
                                I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Working...
                                X