Name That Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Name That Food

What food, manufactured on the Big Island, has a name that sounds similar to a Chinese appetizer?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      What food, manufactured on the Big Island, has a name that sounds similar to a Chinese appetizer?
      One Ton Pi Chips, from Maebo Noodle Factory.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
        I think Maui onions beat Vidalias big time. But now, I'm curious about the Texas ones.
        And don't forget Washington State's own Walla Walla sweet onions.

Comment

what are the local equivalents of a French beignet. One you can find at many bakeries and at school carnivals and the other normally would be made at home? Both of these products originally came from different countries.
          Miulang, have you had the beignets from the little cafe in Seattle Center's Center House? Made from choux pastry, which has a high water content that causes them to puff up, it's the same dough used to make eclairs. They are generally lighter than most malassada and andagi doughs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
            Regarding the Malasada, of course we all know that originated from Portugal.
            More specifically, the Azores. From "The History of Fried Dough" ---
            São Miguel in the Azores is credited with being the ancestral home of the Hawaiian malassada. The Portuguese likely brought the recipe with them when they colonized the Madeira Islands around 1420 and later the Azores. It is on the island of São Miguel that the term name malassada seems to first appear. The other islands in the Azores called them filhós.

Comment

Name dis food: These delectable delights have meat or vegetable stuffed inside a little case.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                Miulang, have you had the beignets from the little cafe in Seattle Center's Center House? Made from choux pastry, which has a high water content that causes them to puff up, it's the same dough used to make eclairs. They are generally lighter than most malassada and andagi doughs.
                Yeah, I have (and gotten all the powdered sugar all over my clothes, too). The dry dough mix they use is from Cafe du Monde, which is where the original beignets are fried up in the millions in NO, served with hot chicory coffee.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by LocoBoy
                  Name dis food: These delectable delights have meat or vegetable stuffed inside a little case.
                  empanadas,potsickers, samosas?

Comment

Originally posted by LocoBoy
                    Gyoza? Shu mai? Lumpia?

Everybody stuffs food inside little cases!

Comment

Originally Posted by LocoBoy
                      Or...
                      Gyoza, Shumai or Wonton?
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Stuffed Cabbage, Stuffed Aburage, Stuffed Tofu............
                        I the Winna Yeah???? OGGBOY
                        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Manapua? Mai tai siu? springrolls?
                          Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                            One Ton Pi Chips, from Maebo Noodle Factory.
                            Correct! I was so scared that they would never rebuild the factory when it burned down a couple of years ago, but thank god they started up again after only a few months and I can still get my One Ton Pi fix!

Miulang

Comment

Those One-Ton Chips are great as a topping on a chicken salad with oriental sesame dressing.

They have that perfect salty-sweet-deep fried crunch. Love the stuff!
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

posted by Miulang

All great answers everyone, but I'm looking for a specific kind. Back wen we were keikis, used to get um from da "Manapua Man's" wagon/van. Think in terms of our ocean tides . G/L

Comment

Working...
                                X