Name That Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Name That Food

WowLauLau, yeah, the answer to that one was Balut. Easy.

These were served today at a going-away party for someone in our office. What are they (the specific name), and where are they from?....

Last edited by Pomai; September 7, 2007, 06:17 PM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

WOW, dat look so ONO!!!!! Wea dis from????
      OGGBOY
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
        WOW, dat look so ONO!!!!! Wea dis from????
        OGGBOY
        They're not from Maui, although I believe you can get something similar to it there.

Again..

These were served today at a going-away party for someone in our office. What are they (the specific name), and where are they from?....

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Liliha Bakery's cocoa puffs!
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
            Liliha Bakery's cocoa puffs!
            Roger that!

Coco Puffs from Liliha Bakery. IIRC, they're currently 85 cents each.

Here's a pretty good macro I got of one today...

Coco Puff from Liliha Bakery

It's a choux pastry (the "Puff") filled with chocolate pudding (the "Coco") and a buttery-sweet Chantilly frosting on top.

Actually I find the Chantilly too rich, overpowering and quantity-wise too much, so I scrape most of it off. Then it's perfect.

K, next.

What is this and who makes it?...

Last edited by Pomai; September 7, 2007, 07:33 PM.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

In response to post #95 above:

Those are One-Ton Chips, made by the Maebo Noodle Factory, in Hilo, on my home island, the Big Island!!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
                In response to post #95 above:

Those are One-Ton Chips, made by the Maebo Noodle Factory, in Hilo, on my home island, the Big Island!!
                Roger that. They're the BEST topping on an Oriental Salad.

K, next.

What is the name of the restaurant that sports this mural on their walls?...

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                  Roger that. They're the BEST topping on an Oriental Salad.

K, next.

What is the name of the restaurant that sports this mural on their walls?...

Isnt that, that 50's place in Kings' Plaza (not sure about the name) in Waikiki ?
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                    Isnt that, that 50's place in Kings' Plaza (not sure about the name) in Waikiki ?
                    Nope. But you're in the right area!

Tiki, I'll call you some time this weekend. Got your message a while back.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

• Re: Name That Food

I believe the mural is at Teddy's Bigger Burgers.

Another tasty use for one-ton chips is for scooping up poke. Sounds weird, but it is really delicious. I have converted many to this unique "chip & dip" combo.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                        I believe the mural is at Teddy's Bigger Burgers.
                        Roger that. Isn't that mural pretty cool? Dig how they incorporated the names of the waikiki surf breaks.

Another tasty use for one-ton chips is for scooping up poke. Sounds weird, but it is really delicious. I have converted many to this unique "chip & dip" combo.
                        I'm gonna' have to take you up on that! Never heard of it, but I'll take your word for it.. you.. you.. you FOODIE you!

This is giving me all kinds of creative thoughts.... like how about taking (raw) ahi poke and wrapping it in a wonton wrapper and sealing it, then deep-fry it quickly to crisp it. Then just as you pull it out, you dash just a little salt and just a tid-tat of sugar for flavor contrast. Hopefully the Ahi poke inside will remain mostly raw. I bet that would ROCK!

K, next.

What NEW Oahu restaurant sports these whimsical props in their establishment?...

Good gosh... if Bruce Lee were alive, I wonder HE'd have to say about this? lol
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post

right on! eric and i do that, too! well, sorta. we sometimes eat garden of eatin's organic black bean tortilla chips with our poke, esp if it's the jalapeno ahi poke from tamura's.

*hungry*
                          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

This is giving me all kinds of creative thoughts.... like how about taking (raw) ahi poke and wrapping it in a wonton wrapper and sealing it, then deep-fry it quickly to crisp it. Then just as you pull it out, you dash just a little salt and just a tid-tat of sugar for flavor contrast. Hopefully the Ahi poke inside will remain mostly raw. I bet that would ROCK!

alan wong already does something like this with his "poki pines". he takes a ball of ahi poke, places it on a won ton sheet and closes the won ton package. he then cuts into the won ton above the poke so that when they fry, they fan out. it's one of his appetizers, and we had the pleasure of eating it when i took eric to alan wong's for his birthday last month. full menu for that meal is in the what's for dinner thread, but i'll paste the poki pines description here:

"Poki-Pines”
                            Crispy Won Ton Ahi Poke Balls on Avocado with Wasabi Sauce
                            $15.00

oh, and the fish does remain quite raw. i imagine you'd have to make sure the oil is at the exact temperature that's hot enough to fry the won ton to gbd and keep the poki pines in only long enough to get the shell to that state. any longer, and the fish inside would cook.
                            Last edited by cynsaligia; September 8, 2007, 12:03 PM.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                              alan wong already does something like this with his "poki pines". he takes a ball of ahi poke, places it on a won ton sheet and closes the won ton package. he then cuts into the won ton above the poke so that when they fry, they fan out. it's one of his appetizers, and we had the pleasure of eating it when i took eric to alan wong's for his birthday last month:

"Poki-Pines”
                              Crispy Won Ton Ahi Poke Balls on Avocado with Wasabi Sauce
                              $15.00
                              I had a feeling that idea was already taken. lol Sounds ono! At least if I make it at home, it will cost me considerably less than that.

At a birthday party I recently attended at Washington Place (the Gov's mansion), Alan Wong was the caterer, where he served this Kalua Pig with Guacamole topping on Wonton appetizer...

Ono to da' max!
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Now I am really hungry! Must go out in search of some poke. The jalapeno chip with poke sounds very good.

Those props can only be from Senor Frog's - an inflatable shark with a bottle of tequila was the giveaway!

Comment

Working...
                                X