This day in Hawai'i's history...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This day in Hawai'i's history...

For those interested in Hawaiian historical information, I recommend a writer who has been doing features for the past year-and-a-half for our monthly newspaper here in the Pacific NW, Roy Alameida (who has returned to the Islands, after some time on the Mainland.)

His series of articles can be found at http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/history2.htm

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
      Easy one! The Moana, now called the Sheraton Moana Surfrider.
      Perfecto, Lika! Now here's another one that's a little tougher, but an interesting note in Hawai'i's history:
      What group of immigrants first arrived in Hawai'i on January 2, 1901? There were 21 in this original group who went to work at C. Brewer's Wailuku Plantation. Over the next few years, more members (about 200) of this ethnic group arrived to work on the plantations, but the 1903 Federal Labor Report noted that most of them had left Hawai'i because the cost of living was too high.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        What group of immigrants first arrived in Hawai'i on January 2, 1901? There were 21 in this original group who went to work at C. Brewer's Wailuku Plantation. Over the next few years, more members (about 200) of this ethnic group arrived to work on the plantations, but the 1903 Federal Labor Report noted that most of them had left Hawai'i because the cost of living was too high.

Miulang
        The answer to this question is African-Americans. The first 21 came from Nashville, TN. I find it ironic that the reason they gave for leaving the islands after only a few years was because the cost of living (even back then!) was too high.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Another group of 110 immigrants first came to Hawai'i on Feb. 19, 1906. They emigrated from their homeland and came to America to escape religious persecution, and travelled from California to Hawai'i to work on the Makee Plantation on Kauai hoping to buy land. By 1910, 1,800 of these immigrants had arrived, but soon left because they were prohibited from buying land. What ethnic group is this?

Miulang

Comment

Another group of 110 immigrants first came to Hawai'i on Feb. 19, 1906. They emigrated from their homeland and came to America to escape religious persecution, and travelled from California to Hawai'i to work on the Makee Plantation on Kauai hoping to buy land. By 1910, 1,800 of these immigrants had arrived, but soon left because they were prohibited from buying land. What ethnic group is this?

Miulang
            The answer is Russians.

Comment

Which Hawai'i TV station first went on the air with live programming on Dec. 1, 1952? It was seen by 10,000 viewers and had Carl Hebenstreit as its announcer. What was Carl Hebenstreit's TV name?

Miulang

Comment

Which Hawai'i TV station first went on the air with live programming on Dec. 1, 1952? It was seen by 10,000 viewers and had Carl Hebenstreit as its announcer. What was Carl Hebenstreit's TV name?

Miulang
                Kinipopo! Now works for Trade Publishing, I believe. Still kicking. Recent news article:

http://starbulletin.com/2006/01/17/b...s/story01.html
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                  Kinipopo! Now works for Trade Publishing, I believe. Still kicking. Recent news article:

http://starbulletin.com/2006/01/17/b...s/story01.html
                  Correct, Blaine. Now what was the name of the TV station?

Miulang

Comment

Correct, Blaine. Now what was the name of the TV station?

Miulang

KGMB was first on the TV airwaves. They didn't want to be second, as they were on the radio airwaves in 1922 (to KGU).

What does the GMB stand for. Hint: It's NOT Greater Mormon Broadcasting!

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1
                      KGMB was first on the TV airwaves. They didn't want to be second, as they were on the radio airwaves in 1922 (to KGU).

What does the GMB stand for. Hint: It's NOT Greater Mormon Broadcasting!
                      George M. Bowles, the station's first chief engineer

Miulang

Comment

What series of natural events occurred on November 29, 1975? This trifecta had not occurred since April 2,1868.

Miulang

Comment

Kilauea eruption, Kalapana earthquake and subsequent tsunami?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                            Kilauea eruption, Kalapana earthquake and subsequent tsunami?
                            Yup. The tsunami killed 2 people and the 7.2 earthquake caused $4 million in damage.

Miulang

Comment

On Aug. 2, 1918, a venerable Hawai'i retail institution was renamed from its original German name. What was the original name of that department store, and why was its name changed? It recently changed hands again.

Miulang

Comment

Hackfeld & Co - changed to Liberty House (Hackfeld's was confiscated when the US entered the war) - now Macy's.

The AF from Kane`ohe worked for Liberty House downtown, long, long ago.

(Seattle in da house this morning! Questions & Answers both.)

Comment

Working...
                                X