This day in Hawai'i's history...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This day in Hawai'i's history...

On Aug. 24, 1927, a $250,000 memorial dedicated to the memory of Hawai'i's WWI casualties was opened on Oahu. What was its name?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      On Aug. 24, 1927, a $250,000 memorial dedicated to the memory of Hawai'i's WWI casualties was opened on Oahu. What was its name?

Miulang
      Nataorium and I like SNAP when I think about this thing. I could start ruining did thread so I won't say anyting else. But Shame on the condition of a WWI "memorial".

Okay, I shut up.

Comment

You're correct, Kamuela. The Oluwalu/Pali tunnel on Maui was the first tunnel constructed on a public road. My dad helped build it, and my grandpa was a civil engineer on that project.

Miulang
        Pretty much garanz your ohana knows my ohana. My father and grandparents are from Maui and lived there at that time as well. It was a very small place so I'm sure they knew or were related to each other somehow. Don't ask me who, I not telling. I still like shoot my mout off.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
          Nataorium and I like SNAP when I think about this thing. I could start ruining did thread so I won't say anyting else. But Shame on the condition of a WWI "memorial".

Okay, I shut up.
          Yeah, it really is pathetic that this memorial has been allowed to deteriorate to the sorry condition that it's in now. Small kid time, my parents would take me there to dip my toes after a hot day at the zoo.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

On March 19, 1904, the Waikiki Aquarium opens. It is the 3rd US aquarium and the 12th in the world. What company built it, and who owned that company?

Miulang

Comment

On March 19, 1904, the Waikiki Aquarium opens. It is the 3rd US aquarium and the 12th in the world. What company built it, and who owned that company?Miulang
              The Honolulu Rapid Transit Authority.

Castle?
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                The Honolulu Rapid Transit Authority.

Castle?
                No foget da "& Cooke" part!

Miulang

Comment

Speaking of the HRT&L, it began street car service on Aug. 31, 1901 (replacing horses and buggies) and had 20,000 riders on its first day of service. By 1910, 9 million riders paid a fare of a nickle to ride the line, which extended from where to what "suburbs"? HRT&L bought out a competitor in January, 1903. What was the name of that competitor?

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; June 10, 2006, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Speaking of the HRT&L, it began street car service on Aug. 31, 1901 (replacing horses and buggies) and had 20,000 riders on its first day of service. By 1910, 9 million riders paid a fare of a nickle to ride the line, which extended from where to what "suburbs"? HRT&L bought out a competitor in January, 1903. What was the name of that competitor?

Miulang
                    The routes ran from Kalihi to Kaimuki,Waikiki and Manoa. HRT&L bought out Hawaiian Tramways in 1903.

Miulang

Comment

On May 4, 1990, 65 residents out of Milolii's (Big Island) 125 residents travelled to Honolulu to protest the building of a $700 million resort in their village. What was the name of that resort that never got built? The proposed plans called for 3 hotels, over 1,000 rooms and a marina.

Miulang

Comment

On May 4, 1990, 65 residents out of Milolii's (Big Island) 125 residents travelled to Honolulu to protest the building of a $700 million resort in their village. What was the name of that resort that never got built? The proposed plans called for 3 hotels, over 1,000 rooms and a marina.

Miulang
                        The answer is "Hawaiian Riviera". Mahalo ke akua this thing ran out of steam before it was built! Miloli'i is called the last true Hawaiian fishing village, and the residents there are proud of their heritage and the legends that surround its survival in the past.

Miulang

Comment

On January 25, 1917, 'Ainahau, the 12-acre Waikiki home of Archibald Cleghorn, is sold and divided into house lots. In 1921, the house of James Pratt, which was built on that estate land, burns down. What is eventually built in its place?

Miulang

Comment

On January 25, 1917, 'Ainahau, the 12-acre Waikiki home of Archibald Cleghorn, is sold and divided into house lots. In 1921, the house of James Pratt, which was built on that estate land, burns down. What is eventually built in its place?

Miulang
                            The building that now exists on that site is the Sheraton Princess Kai'ulani Hotel.

Miulang

Comment

On Oct. 3, 1968, EK Fernandez announced plans to develop Koko Head Crater. What was he going to put in there?

Miulang

Comment

an amusement park?
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X