Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This day in Hawai'i's history...

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
    Hackfeld & Co - changed to Liberty House (Hackfeld's was confiscated when the US entered the war) - now Macy's.

The AF from Kane`ohe worked for Liberty House downtown, long, long ago.

(Seattle in da house this morning! Questions & Answers both.)
    Hackfeld & Co. had originally built their store as B.F. Ehlers & Co. It was seized in 1918 under the 1917 Trading with the Enemies Law, which prohibited German ownership of American businesses. American Factors (which later became Amfac) was the new company that bought out Hackfield and renamed the store The Liberty House because it sounded patriotic. For many years after the "purchase", Hackfield protested the amount they received for the purchase ($7.5 million) was inadequate, but lost the battle for additional compensation.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

What Honolulu school opened on Sept. 11, 1908? It had been created originally in 1865 as Fort Street English Day School, and in 1895 is renamed Honolulu High School.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        What Honolulu school opened on Sept. 11, 1908? It had been created originally in 1865 as Fort Street English Day School, and in 1895 is renamed Honolulu High School.

Miulang
        Honolulu High School eventually became McKinley High School (right, Auntie Pupule? )

Miulang

Comment

Next question: A new hospital opened in Honolulu on September 27, 1918. When it was first established in July, 1900, it was called Japanese Charity Hospital because of a donation from the Japanese Imperial Family and because it gave free medical care. When the hospital opened at its new site in 1918, what was its new name?

Miulang

Comment

Next question: A new hospital opened in Honolulu on September 27, 1918. When it was first established in July, 1900, it was called Japanese Charity Hospital because of a donation from the Japanese Imperial Family and because it gave free medical care. When the hospital opened at its new site in 1918, what was its new name?
            Japanese hospital in Honolulu? Gotta be Kuakini.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              Japanese hospital in Honolulu? Gotta be Kuakini.
              Yup. That's the one!

Miulang

Comment

On July 3, 1935, a radio program to promote Hawai'i as a tourist destination was first aired nationally and internationally. What was it called, and who created the show? Who was the musical director?

Miulang

Comment

"Hawai`i Calls" - Webley Edwards - Al Kealoha Perry

Comment

"Hawai`i Calls" - Webley Edwards - Al Kealoha Perry
                    You got the name of the show and the creator correct, Leo, but the first musical director was Harry Owens. It ceased airing on Aug. 16, 1975 when the State of Hawaii and the Hawaii Visitors Bureau ceased funding the show.

Interesting sidenote about Webley Edwards: When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, his was the voice on the radio that said, "Attention. This is no exercise. The Japanese are attacking Pearl Harbor!....All Army, Navy and Marine personnel to report to duty".

Miulang

Comment

You got the name of the show and the creator correct, Leo, but the first musical director was Harry Owens.
                      Ah, well --- two out of three --- that's still enough to get Carl Kassel's voice on my answering machine, isn't it?

Comment

On Nov. 9, 1953, the first section of what is to later become the H-1 Freeway is open. 3 westbound lanes go from where to where?

Miulang

Comment

On Nov. 9, 1953, the first section of what is to later become the H-1 Freeway is open. 3 westbound lanes go from where to where?
                          I love Hawaii highway trivia! (Though I haven't done anything with HawaiiRoads.com for a while.) Your answer comes most succinctly from The Honolulu Advertiser: "The first mile of the six-lane Lunalilo Freeway (formerly the Mauka Arterial) was opened to Ewaibound traffic in 1953 and stretched from Old Waialae Road to Alexander Street." There's a picture from around that time on my friend Oscar Voss' great site, HawaiiHighways.com.
                          Ah, well --- two out of three --- that's still enough to get Carl Kassel's voice on my answering machine, isn't it?
                          Ha! Another "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!" fan, eh? I swear, if I had the chance to do a local radio quiz show on HPR, I'd call it, "Try Wait, I Get Um!"

Comment

Correct, Ryan!

Now here's another piece of highway trivia: Where was the first tunnel in Hawai'i on a public road opened on Oct. 10, 1951?

Miulang

Comment

Correct, Ryan!

Now here's another piece of highway trivia: Where was the first tunnel in Hawai'i on a public road opened on Oct. 10, 1951?

Miulang

1951 don't know. But the word public must be critical since the Kahala tunnel through Diamond Head was built in the 1940s. Must have been private.

As far as public in 51? I dunno. How about the one when you headed to Lahaina from Wailuku.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                                1951 don't know. But the word public must be critical since the Kahala tunnel through Diamond Head was built in the 1940s. Must have been private.

As far as public in 51? I dunno. How about the one when you headed to Lahaina from Wailuku.
                                You're correct, Kamuela. The Oluwalu/Pali tunnel on Maui was the first tunnel constructed on a public road. My dad helped build it, and my grandpa was a civil engineer on that project.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X