X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest: Game 3

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 18!
    Here are today's answers!

I don't know if you all thought this was fun, but I totally did. I was traveling with a friend a few years ago, and we were up late one night thinking these up...we came up with ten- or eleven-word phrases sometimes. It was fun composing them in our heads, reciting the clues to each other, and then trying to answer them. *sigh* She gets married in 27 days. To someone else. Probably someone who NEVER plays these games with her.
    1. Category: Two-Word Phrases
      A popular luau cocktail with added juice from a fuzzy fruit is a: peachy chi-chi.
      Palama Kid and Leo Lakio got that one!

A monarch's legumes are a queen's beans.
      SouthKona, Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, and Erika Engle got that one!

2. Category: Three-Word Phrases
      A blacker felt-tip pen that has fewer ornaments or decorations is a: darker starker marker.
      Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, and Erika Engle got that one!

A person, such as Saddam Hussein, who is crazy, who is from Tikrit, and who exhibits poor taste, is a: wacky tacky Iraqi.
      Palama Kid and Leo Lakio got that one!

3. Category: Four-Word Phrases
      Kindly solidify into ice the Confederate General's infused herbal beverages:
      Please freeze Lee's teas!
      SouthKona, Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, and Erika Engle got that one!

Accidentally drop Bryant's modest scrambled word game:
      Fumble Gumbel's humble Jumble!
      Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, and Erika Engle got that one!

And now, totally in the spirit of fun (so please don't be offended or insulted or hurt if yours is one of the ones I reprint), here are some of my favorite wrong answers!

Good Cool Lee Tea
    Tripped Gumbel jumbled Boggle
    Beach Peach

Sooooooo Close:
    darker marker sparser
    Tumble Gumbel humble Jumble

I never thought of a kiwi fruit as being fuzzy, but of course it is:
    kiwi chichi
    maitai kiwi

and my two favorite:
    Goony loony Sunni (I actually had to consider accepting that one from Surfingfarmboy!)
    Non-urbane insane Iranian (my tummy's sore from giggling at that one from Erika Engle!)

Holy cow, I had a blast with these. Thanks for being game, all of you brave enough to attempt the answers! You can probably expect another Will-Shortz-inspired set of puzzles sometime before the end of this game.

Aaaaaaaaaand here are the current standings!
    43.5: Surfingfarmboy
    38.5: Palama Kid
    25.5: Moto
    20: helen, mel
    19: Leo Lakio
    17.5: pzarquon
    9: Erika Engle
    7: localgrl
    5: Cranberee
    3: Mike_Lowery, SouthKona
    2: tutusue
    1.5: jdub
    1: Madazza, craigwatanabe

New questions, next post! And as always, feel free to contest the judge's rulings.
    Last edited by scrivener; September 3, 2006, 09:40 PM.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      New questions, next post!
      Fall asleep writing the questions again, Scriv?

That was a fun set. I never did sit down to try them, but I love Will Shortz and Sunday Puzzle. Some of 'em I just run away with, some of 'em I barely figure out before they're already done with the set!

Comment

I didn't fall asleep this time -- I just had problems with my net connection. Sorry. I considered driving around in search of a decent signal, but decided we could all just take Labor Day off.

Not that I'm taking the day off. I've got a ton of work to get done.

So, new questions around 9:00 this evening. Happy Labor Day.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I remember way back a newspaper game, printed with the daily crosswords, comics, and other diversions, in the Chicago Tribune, called "Wordy Gurdy". It played in a similar way Scriv presented the questions in the last round of the trivia contest; the only difference, if I recall correctly, was that solvers of the questions were given the worded clues and the number of total syllables per word in the final answer.

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 19!
            Here are today's questions!

I know, I know. I ask far too many television, rock and roll, and comic-strip questions! They're just easiest for me to think up, and I've had a crumby day. So when you send in your answers, please also include something nice that's happened to you recently. I think that would do a lot for my foul mood.
            1. Category: Buy Me Some Peanuts
              Who plays shortstop on Charlie Brown's baseball team?

2. Category: Pasture of Muppets
              On The Muppet Show, which character is almost always Kermit's partner in the popular "At the Dance" sketches? (hint: not Miss Piggy!)

3. Category: Three Scoops of Aloha
              What is usually the phrase one uses when ordering a plate lunch with an extra scoop of rice in substitution of macaroni salad?

Please send your answers and your "nice thing that happened to you" to me as PRIVATE MESSAGES by 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 5! Good luck, and have fun!
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 19!
              Here are yesterday's answers!

With all the excitement last night, I totally forgot about the game! Thank goodness I'm not a contestant, or I'd probably be out of the running by now!

Category: Buy Me Some Peanuts
              Who plays shortstop on Charlie Brown's baseball team?
              Snoopy, because he was the most talented player, even though, as Linus once observed, he couldn't throw the ball! Everyone who submitted answers got this right: Cranberee, Helen, Moto, Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, and Mel. Palama Kid submits this roster, for those of you (like me) who love to know these things:

Allowing for occasional changes, the "official" roster of the team is as follows:
              • Pitcher (and Manager): Charlie Brown
              • Catcher: Schroeder
              • 1st Base: Shermy
              • 2nd Base: Linus (or Pig-Pen, at least once)
              • 3rd Base: Pig-Pen
              • Shortstop: Snoopy
              • Left Field: Patty (or Rerun, during his one attempt)
              • Center Field: Frieda
              • Right Field: Lucy

Category: Pasture of Muppets
              On The Muppet Show, which character is almost always Kermit's partner in the popular "At the Dance" sketches? (hint: not Miss Piggy!)
              Kermit didn't always dance with Miss Mousey, but she was definitely his preferred partner (he appears with her ALMOST every time he's in this sketch), and in one episode of the show, he confesses to Miss Piggy that he has a little crush on her! I have this dream where I'm on Jeopardy! and it's really close, and the Final Jeopardy! category is THE MUPPETS, and I bet it all and the answer is the question I posed here. Of course, in my dream, I write "Who is Miss Mousey" and take home the money!

One point each for the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational Mel and Surfingfarmboy for dodging the tomatoes on that one!

Category: Three Scoops of Aloha
              What is usually the phrase one uses when ordering a plate lunch with an extra scoop of rice in substitution of macaroni salad?
              "All rice," as in, "Chicken katsu, all rice!" Don't you think "All Rice" would be a cool thing to put on a tee-shirt to sell at the Flea Market?

Cranberee, Palama Kid, and Surfingfarmboy all got that one. Palama Kid called a sister to get the answer!

Here are the current standings!
              46.5: Surfingfarmboy
              40.5: Palama Kid
              26.5: Moto
              22: mel
              21: helen
              19: Leo Lakio
              7: localgrl, Cranberee

New questions at 9:00!

ps: "Pasture of Muppets" is my FAVORITE FAVORITE FAVORITE FAVORITE category title so far! I just wish I'd come up with a question that better matched it!
              Last edited by scrivener; September 6, 2006, 08:33 PM.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 20!
                1. Category: Independent Claws
                  What are the only two species of wildcat that climb down trees head-first?

2. Category: Sulky Smooth
                  What is the Kentucky Derby's harness-racing equivalent?
                  (there are a couple of acceptable answers, but there's one really good one!)

3. Category: This Land is My Land
                  What was the hawaiian name for an unofficial division of land that stretched from the mountains to the sea, usually using ridgelines or other natural features as boundaries?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, September 7! Good luck, and have fun!
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 20!

Category: Independent Claws
                  What are the only two species of wildcat that climb down trees head-first?
                  Something you probably didn't know about me is that I'm fascinated by little-known animals, and the margay and clouded leopard definitely fall into that category! It probably surprises nobody that Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, and Moto all got this one right! Let's pelt them.

Category: Sulky Smooth
                  What is the Kentucky Derby's harness-racing equivalent?
                  (there are a couple of acceptable answers, but there's one really good one!)
                  The answer I really wanted was the Hambletonian, which is the crown jewel in the Triple Crown of Harness Racing for trotters, but the Little Brown Jug is usually considered the equivalent in the Triple Crown of Harness Racing for pacers. Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, and Mel gave me one or the other of those answers!

Category: This Land is My Land
                  What was the hawaiian name for an unofficial division of land that stretched from the mountains to the sea, usually using ridgelines or other natural features as boundaries?
                  That would be an ahupua`a. Until the Great Mahele, this was how parcels of land were generally designated, if I understand correctly. Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, and Mel all got that one right!

49.5: Surfingfarmboy
                  42.5: Palama Kid
                  27.5: Moto
                  24: mel
                  20: Leo Lakio

GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 21!
                    1. Category: Play that Funky Music
                      At the sides of Big Island roads, there are often signs that say, "Buying cherry." What are they asking for?

2. Category: Scrivener 1, Everyone Else 0
                      What are the next three numbers in the sequence that begins:
                      1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 3, 3, 1, 1, 4, 6...

3. Category: Stone and Register
                      I have taken lyrics from a popular classic rock song and replaced them with synonyms from a thesaurus. In some cases, the synonyms match the intended meaning in the song ("rock" could be replaced with "stone," which means the same thing), but in some cases, I chose a completely unrelated synonym ("roll" could be replaced with "register," which is a different kind of roll than used in "rock and roll"). Identify the song:
                      Minuscule coffee no way before bequeathed it abroad
                      The whole world had to fork over and render
                      A con game in this place and an enterprise yonder
                      New Amsterdam's the habitat where
                      People pronounced, "Yo, infant!
                      Catch a constitutional atop the untamed flank..."

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Friday, September 8! Good luck, and have fun!
                    Last edited by scrivener; September 7, 2006, 09:58 PM.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

In my part of the world, Paul and Al, two well-known and perhaps infamous radio personalities, who air weekday mornings on WHJY-FM in Providence, have an occasional, yet wildly popular call-in contests, in which they test their listeners' knowledge of common Rock and Roll songs presented with alternative lyrics, in the same fashion Scriv has done with the song with altered (but equivalent) lyrics..the one that's going to drive me crazy all day long trying to decipher it!
                      Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; September 8, 2006, 12:01 AM. Reason: ...it's still Rock and Roll to me.

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 21!

Category: Play that Funky Music
                        At the sides of Big Island roads, there are often signs that say, "Buying cherry." What are they asking for?
                        Coffee roasters in the area are buying fresh coffee beans, which are called cherries because of their skins' red color. Surfingfarmboy says he picked many a cherry in his time growing up on the Big Island. How many questions is this about coffee so far? An extra shot for Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, Moto, Leo Lakio, and Mel for getting that one.

Category: Scrivener 1, Everyone Else 0
                        What are the next three numbers in the sequence that begins:
                        1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 3, 3, 1, 1, 4, 6...
                        I really should have used "series" instead of "sequence," but nobody called me on it, so I'll pretend I did. These are number from Pascal's Triangle! Here's what the first part of it looks like:

Each number is the sum of the two numbers above it in the triangle. Those of you who are into computers should note the sums of each row, given in the right margin of this image. Why in the world does the triangle, with a very simple rule that itself has nothing to do with powers of 2, give row-sums that are powers of 2? It's baffling!

As you can see from this diagram, the next four numbers are 4, 1, and 1. Go to the head of the class, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, and Mel for nailing that one!

Category: Stone and Register
                        I have taken lyrics from a popular classic rock song and replaced them with synonyms from a thesaurus. In some cases, the synonyms match the intended meaning in the song ("rock" could be replaced with "stone," which means the same thing), but in some cases, I chose a completely unrelated synonym ("roll" could be replaced with "register," which is a different kind of roll than used in "rock and roll"). Identify the song:
                        Minuscule coffee no way before bequeathed it abroad
                        The whole world had to fork over and render
                        A con game in this place and an enterprise yonder
                        New Amsterdam's the habitat where
                        People pronounced, "Yo, infant!
                        Catch a constitutional atop the untamed flank..."
                        Little Joe never once gave it away
                        Everybody had to pay and pay
                        A hustle here and a hustle there
                        New York City's the place where
                        They said hey babe, take a walk on the wild side
                        They said hey Joe, take a walk on the wild side

Yes, it's "Walk on the Wild Side" by Lou Reed, one of the all-time greats. Also among the all-time greats: Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, and Leo Lakio!

52.5: Surfingfarmboy
                        44.5: Palama Kid
                        28.5: Moto
                        26: mel
                        23: Leo Lakio

GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 22!
                          1. Category: Mnemonic Possession
                            I don't know if this is common at all, but when I was in school, some friends and I in a social studies class developed the mnemonic SHO ME to help us remember the order of something very familiar to us all! Can you figure out what SHO ME helped us nail on the test?

2. Category: Water You Doing?
                            What animal is supposedly so difficult to train that its only trick at Sea Life Park is to walk through a gate, take its turn hopping through a hoop, and then continue through another gate that leads back to its holding area?

3. Category: Horny
                            What company's logo is this?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 9! Good luck, and have fun!
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

sorry, forgot the private message part of the game!
                            Last edited by SouthKona; September 8, 2006, 11:52 PM. Reason: should be a private message

Comment

I have no idea what the Rhino logo means but it seems that one of the "alleged" assailants accused of killing the man in Waianae likes it:

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...9100335&Ref=AR

Comment

Hello. I know this is just a game, but could we please not contribute interesting facts about the questions until after answers are posted? One thing lots of participants like to do is send the interesting facts in private messages, and then I post them when the answers go up. Thanks for your interest, though.
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X