Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest: Game 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest: Game 3

I'm going to ask my high-schoolers tomorrow and see how many get it.
    Do we get a bonus point if they can't figure it out...

I googled it...I yahood ...etc..

Scrivener....If any of your kids do get it...please deduct a point from me!

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 31!
      Here are today's questions! The last set!
      1. Category: Does that Star-Spangled Banner Yet Wave
        What ESPN SportsCenter host was thrown into uncontrollable hysterics during a broadcast where one "highlight" was Carl Lewis's awful performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"

2. Category: O'er the Land of the Free
        Who, when directed to bring some humor to her performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner," imitated the behavior of baseball players by grabbing her crotch and spitting just before being booed off the field?

3. Category: And the Home of the Brave?
        When a thirteen-year-old girl, right at her big moment, found herself frozen in front of a packed house before an NBA playoff game she was supposed to open with her rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner," who famously came to her assistance by placing an arm around her and singing along with her until they got through it together?

And don't forget about the extension on yesterday's question!

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Monday, September 18! Good luck, and have fun!
      Last edited by scrivener; September 17, 2006, 10:59 PM.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 31!
        Here are today's answers! The last set!

Category: Does that Star-Spangled Banner Yet Wave
        What ESPN SportsCenter host was thrown into uncontrollable hysterics during a broadcast where one "highlight" was Carl Lewis's awful performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"
        Check it out here. Charlie Steiner. Helen, Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, Moto, and Leo Lakio got that one!

Category: O'er the Land of the Free
        Who, when directed to bring some humor to her performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner," imitated the behavior of baseball players by grabbing her crotch and spitting just before being booed off the field?
        I'm sure this is on YouTube as well: Roseanne Barr. I didn't think it was that big a deal, to be honest. Anapuni808, Leo Lakio, Moto, Palama Kid, and Surfingfarmboy got that one!

Category: And the Home of the Brave?
        When a thirteen-year-old girl, right at her big moment, found herself frozen in front of a packed house before an NBA playoff game she was supposed to open with her rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner," who famously came to her assistance by placing an arm around her and singing along with her until they got through it together?
        Maurice Cheeks, man. He was the head coach of the Portland Trailblazers and it was a thing of beauty. Brings tears to my eyes just about every time I think about it. Read a great retelling of the incident here (scroll down to April 29, 2003). Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, Moto, and Leo Lakio got that one!

Category: Names and Faces in Crazy Places
        Whose name could complete the list beginning with Fran Tarkenton, John Ritter, Freddie Mercury, [insert name here], and Alec Cooke? A lot of names could do it, so submit a name and explain your choice!
        I'll bet if I'd made this one worth twenty points, someone would have gotten it. As it is, the results are pretty much set, so I don't think anyone was THAT motivated. *sigh*

Fran Tarkenton
        John Ritter
        Freddie Mercury
        [insert name here]
        Alec Cooke.

A Google of Alec Cooke immediately reveals that his nickame (as people mentioned in pmail) is Ace Cool.

Fran Tarkenton
        John Ritter
        Freddie Mercury
        [insert name here]
        Ace Cool

I gave the hint that John Ritter was ONLY on this list because of the name of his character on Three's Company: Jack Tripper.

Fran Tarkenton
        Jack Tripper
        Freddie Mercury
        [insert name here]
        Ace Cool

Well...what do you know? Now we have a Jack and an Ace...What could Freddie Mercury have to do with these names? Hm? Oh! That's right! He was the lead singer of QUEEN.

Fran Tarkenton
        Jack Tripper
        Queen
        [insert name here]
        Ace Cool

At this point, I don't think you'd even need to figure out what Fran Tarkenton is doing on this list, but for those still not getting it: Tarkenton's jersey number was 10.

Jack
        Queen
        [insert name here]
        Ace

You can see why I said a lot of names would fit here, yes? I was hoping someone would submit Elvis Presley.

aaaaaand here are the final standings!
        77: Surfingfarmboy
        61: Palama Kid
        51: Moto
        39: Leo Lakio
        37.5: mel
        35: helen
        23.5: pzarquon
        11: SouthKona
        9: Erika Engle, Cranberee, localgrl
        6.5: manoasurfer123
        3: Mike_Lowery
        2: tutusue
        1.5: jdub
        1: Madazza, craigwatanabe, Anapuni808

Surfingfarmboy and Palama Kid tired for the early lead and the game was really between them throughout, but Surfingfarmboy showed once again why he's the defending champ! Especially impressive was Moto's very strong finish as only a part-time participant -- he was always flying to other countries and islands and couldn't always participate!

Congratulations to the winners and to everyone, really, for participating. And thanks to you all for the words of encouragement over this past month! We'll get the prize situation straightened out in the next few days.

If you offered to donate a prize, would you please pmail me confirmation? Thanks!

edit: I won't pretend I meant to write that Surfingfarmboy and Palama Kid "tired" for the early lead, but I'm leaving it. Call it a Freudian dick!
        Last edited by scrivener; September 18, 2006, 10:13 PM.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
        X