• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest: Game 3

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 26!
    Here are today's questions!
    1. Category: No Way Are You Getting This
      Where are you most likely to see this symbol? For a half-point bonus: What is it?

2. Category: Lost in Honolulu
      What Honolulu neighborhood do you live in if your street address says Dickson Circle?

3. Category: Tuvalu Ra Tuvalu Ra Yay!
      What is island nation Tuvalu's unique contribution to the Internet?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 13! Good luck, and have fun!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 26!
      Here are today's answers!

Category: No Way Are You Getting This
      Where are you most likely to see this symbol? For a half-point bonus: What is it?

I knew this was going to be tough, but I also know that there are discussion boards on the Web where if I posted this as a trivia question, I'd be laughed out of town. Almost everyone I hung out with in high school would have gotten this, too, which takes us back to the question of what trivia really is.

This symbol is the signature of artist Derek Riggs, who did the artwork for most of the classic Iron Maiden albums. The logo is hidden somewhere on almost every Maiden album from the first part of their career. The logo you see at Riggs's website is the symbol he uses now, a simplified version of what was a mirrored D, an R, and a few extra lines and circles thrown in for looks.

Congratulations to nobody for getting it right!

Category: Lost in Honolulu
      What Honolulu neighborhood do you live in if your street address says Dickson Circle?
      Did you know I was a military brat? I was, and I once lived in the military housing area known as Catlin Park. I believe "Camp Catlin" is what that area was called before it became a housing area, but I'll take that as an answer, too, since I know some people still call it that. Moto, Surfingfarmboy, and Mel got that right.

Category: Tuvalu Ra Tuvalu Ra Yay!
      What is island nation Tuvalu's unique contribution to the Internet?
      Tuvalu's country code top-level domain is .tv, which for obvious reasons could be considered by some, including Roger Ebert and Richard Roeper, to be a desirable domain. Masters of their own domains include Moto, helen, Surfingfarmboy, mel, and Palama Kid, who got that right.

Here are the current standings!

65: Surfingfarmboy
      51.5: Palama Kid
      41: Moto
      34.5: mel
      30.5: helen
      29: Leo Lakio
      23.5: pzarquon
      9: Erika Engle, Cranberee, localgrl
      6: SouthKona
      4: manoasurfer123
      3: Mike_Lowery
      2: tutusue
      1.5: jdub
      1: Madazza, craigwatanabe

New questions, next post!
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 27!
        1. Category: Ladies First
          What are the next three names in a list that includes Florence, Grace, Lou, Anna, and Elizabeth, in that order?

2. Category: Poll Vault
          In the state of Hawaii, what can a registered voter do if he or she cannot present a picture I.D.?

3. Category: It's Not a Mike Salta Pontiac
          What animal would old Mother Goose ride upon, according to the popular nursery rhyme?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, September 14! Good luck, and have fun!
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 27!

Category: Ladies First
          What are the next three names in a list that includes Florence, Grace, Lou, Anna, and Elizabeth, in that order?
          Sheesh. I thought this would be more challenging than apparently it was. Yes, it's a list of first names of United States First Ladies:
          Florence Kling Harding
          Grace Anna Goodhue Coolidge
          Lou Henry Hoover
          Anna Eleanor Roosevelt
          Elizabeth Virginia Wallace Truman
          Mamie Geneva Doud Eisenhower
          Jacqueline Lee Bouvier Kennedy
          Claudia Taylor Johnson

I was hoping "Elizabeth" and "Lou" would throw people off, since nobody thinks of Bess Truman as Elizabeth, but oh well. Surfingfarmboy, moto, helen, mel, Leo Lakio, and Palama Kid got that one.

Category: Poll Vault
          In the state of Hawaii, what can a registered voter do if he or she cannot present a picture I.D.?
          If you can recite your birthdate and the address to which the voter registration card was mailed, you're good to go. I've worked the polls several times, and so I know this one for sure. Surfingfarmboy, Moto, and Leo Lakio got that one!

Category: It's Not a Mike Salta Pontiac
          What animal would old Mother Goose ride upon, according to the popular nursery rhyme?
          Old Mother Goose,
          When she wanted to wander,
          Would ride through the air
          On a very fine gander.

Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, Mel, and Leo Lakio got that one!

And here are the current standings!
          68: Surfingfarmboy
          53.5: Palama Kid
          45: Moto
          34.5: mel
          32: Leo Lakio
          31.5: helen
          6: SouthKona

New Questions, Next Post!
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 28!
            1. Category: I Just Had One and it Was Heavenly!
              You put down a slice of bread. Then you lay some roast turkey on the bread, then some sliced ham on the turkey, then some Swiss cheese on top of that. You cover it with another slice of bread and dip the entire thing in an egg batter and grill or deep-fry it. You serve it with maple syrup or grape jelly. What delicious dish have you just assembled?

2. Category: Jingle-Jangle Mornin'
              What local business boasted in its many commercials that it "served you right here in town?"

3. Category: All the Marbles
              What popular board game is played with marbles on a six-pointed star?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Friday, September 15! Good luck, and have fun!
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 28!

Category: I Just Had One and it Was Heavenly!
              You put down a slice of bread. Then you lay some roast turkey on the bread, then some sliced ham on the turkey, then some Swiss cheese on top of that. You cover it with another slice of bread and dip the entire thing in an egg batter and grill or deep-fry it. You serve it with maple syrup or grape jelly. What delicious dish have you just assembled?
              How is it that so many of you knew about this little bit of heaven AND NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT IT? I had my first last night at Kenny's in Kalihi and it blew me away. Now I want to eat every Monte Cristo in sight. In fact, I'm walking across the parking lot as soon as I've put up tonight's questions and having another. Extra grape jelly to SouthKona, helen, Palama Kid, moto, Surfingfarmboy, and Leo Lakio for their excellent knowledge of sandwichology.

Category: Jingle-Jangle Mornin'
              What local business boasted in its many commercials that it "served you right here in town?"
              Amazing. I thought this was going to be the easy one, and nobody got it! Several of you remembered that it was a car-dealership, but no, it wasn't Windward Nissan ("right here in town?") or Honolulu Ford (two guesses for that one!) or Cutter Ford. It was Downtown Honda, as in "Downtown Honda, yeah! Serves you right here in town!"

Category: All the Marbles
              What popular board game is played with marbles on a six-pointed star?
              Chinese Checkers. Not a game I ever thought was very difficult, but it could be kinda fun if you had more than three people playing. Big ups to SouthKona, helen, Palama Kid, moto, Surfingfarmboy, mel, and Leo Lakio for getting that one right.

So with three days left to play, the current standings are:
              70: Surfingfarmboy
              55.5: Palama Kid
              47: Moto
              35.5: mel
              34: Leo Lakio
              33.5: helen
              8: SouthKona

New questions, next post!
              Last edited by scrivener; September 15, 2006, 09:39 PM.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 29!
                1. Category: Owner of a Lonely Art
                  A world-famous author was on his way to donating his vast collection of Asian prints to the Metropolitan Museum of Art when a grouchy policeman gave him a hard time about parking and then wrote the author a ticket. Some years later, the same author was in another city, where a very helpful policeman helped him find parking near another famous museum. The author decided then to bequeath his collection to this second museum. Who is the author, and where did this amazing collection finally find its home?

2. Category: Axe Me No Questions; I'll Tell You No Lies
                  What annual game between long-time college rivals awards a handle-less axe to the winning side?

3. Category: Camptown Races
                  On a certain mountain in Haleiwa, teenaged summer residents of one campground are said to test their mettle by sneaking over to another campground on the same mountain. What are the names of these two campgrounds, and who are the summer residents of each?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 16! Good luck, and have fun!
                Last edited by scrivener; September 15, 2006, 10:05 PM.
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

There are nights when I am not exactly proud of either the quality of the questions as they're written or the interestingness of the questions; this is one of those rare instances where I'm quite pleased with both. There's a certain, well, flair, I guess you could call it, that I strive for here. I'm very satisfied with the interestingness of these questions and I think the way they're written is exactly what I usually shoot for. That doesn't happen often, as I don't always have the thirty minutes or so it generally takes to come up with three good ones and to write them this way.

I'm saying this not to toot my own horn ('though I certainly would if I could, as Letterman says all the time) but to say that I really appreciate your participation in this silly game. The challenge of writing the questions is the main appeal for me, like a kind of mental gymnastics exercise that gets rewarded by your answers in pmail and the nice comments many of you leave me. So thanks.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                    How is it that so many of you knew about this little bit of heaven AND NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT IT? I had my first last night at Kenny's in Kalihi and it blew me away. Now I want to eat every Monte Cristo in sight. In fact, I'm walking across the parking lot as soon as I've put up tonight's questions and having another.
                    I never knew the sandwich existed until you possed the question last night. From the description you gave it sounded like some version of French Toast, maybe the original for all I know. Looked up French Toast in Wikipedia and sure enough there was an entry for it.

Comment

Some RI trivia about the Monte Cristo sandwich: Around these parts of the woods, currant jelly is most commonly served with the sandwich.

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 29!

Category: Owner of a Lonely Art
                        A world-famous author was on his way to donating his vast collection of Asian prints to the Metropolitan Museum of Art when a grouchy policeman gave him a hard time about parking and then wrote the author a ticket. Some years later, the same author was in another city, where a very helpful policeman helped him find parking near another famous museum. The author decided then to bequeath his collection to this second museum. Who is the author, and where did this amazing collection finally find its home?
                        James Michener and the Honolulu Academy of arts. Read about it here. As Surfingfarmboy so nicely puts it, "This demonstrates that a little aloha spirit, no matter where one is at or where one lives, can go a long way...let NYC take that as a hard-learned lesson!"

Free parking for SouthKona and Surfingfarmboy, who don't even live close enough to visit this excellent collection.

Category: Axe Me No Questions; I'll Tell You No Lies
                        What annual game between long-time college rivals awards a handle-less axe to the winning side?
                        Of course it's The Big Game between Stanford and Cal-Berkeley. The Axe goes to the winning team, and if you don't know anything about the Axe, click the link. I was howling with laughter when I read this. The way it was first stolen and then the way it was stolen back is the stuff of movies. They should make a movie about this history of the Axe. Here's video of The Play, probably the greatest play in football history, which of course happened at the end of the 1982 Game.

Cheerleader hugs and kisses to SouthKona, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, Moto, Palama Kid, manoasurfer123, and Mel for getting that one right!

Category: Camptown Races
                        On a certain mountain in Haleiwa, teenaged summer residents of one campground are said to test their mettle by sneaking over to another campground on the same mountain. What are the names of these two campgrounds, and who are the summer residents of each?
                        Camp Pupukea (Boy Scouts) and Camp Paumalu (Girl Scouts). Everyone always talks about sneaking over to Paumalu from Pupukea, and everyone says he knows someone who did it, but I have never heard anyone say he actually did it. This is the basis for a novel I wrote for NaNoWriMo two years ago and hope to publish someday. The summer someone actually does it.

Marshmallows and graham crackers to SouthKona, Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid (half a point), manoasurfer123 (half a point), and Mel (half a point).

Here are the current standings with two days left to play!
                        73: Surfingfarmboy
                        57: Palama Kid
                        48: Moto
                        36.5: mel
                        35: Leo Lakio
                        34: helen
                        11: SouthKona
                        5.5: manoasurfer123

New questions: Next Post!
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 30!
                          1. Category: What's the Good Word?
                            What word is represented by this series of numbers?

2. Category: Names and Faces in Crazy Places
                            Whose name could complete the list beginning with Fran Tarkenton, John Ritter, Freddie Mercury, [insert name here], and Alec Cooke? A lot of names could do it, so submit a name and explain your choice!

3. Category: He's Steel the One
                            What American subject of many a tall tale could be called a sort of Paul Bunyan for steelworkers?
                            (please note: "steelworkers," not "steel-drivers")

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, September 17! Good luck, and have fun!
                          Last edited by scrivener; September 16, 2006, 10:07 PM.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

this was supposed to be a pm!!!

So sorry scrivener
                            Last edited by damontucker; September 16, 2006, 10:32 PM. Reason: OOOPS!

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 30!

Category: What's the Good Word?
                              What word is represented by this series of numbers?
                              If you're text-messaging someone on a regular 10-key phone keypad, you hit the 4 key once for G. Then you hit the 7 key three times for R. Then it's the 3 key twice for E...keep going, and you find that GREASE is the word! Geez. Only Surfingfarmboy was brave enough to guess a word: "Sunshine." There were two guesses for "the numbers on Lost" (hello! the question asks what WORD is represented!) and a few "I have no ideas." So nobody gets this one. I'm going to ask my high-schoolers tomorrow and see how many get it.

Category: Names and Faces in Crazy Places
                              Whose name could complete the list beginning with Fran Tarkenton, John Ritter, Freddie Mercury, [insert name here], and Alec Cooke? A lot of names could do it, so submit a name and explain your choice!
                              Nobody got this one, either, so I'm going to extend it until tomorrow and add a hint: John Ritter is on this list only because of the name of the character he played on Three's Company.

Category: He's Steel the One
                              What American subject of many a tall tale could be called a sort of Paul Bunyan for steelworkers?
                              (please note: "steelworkers," not "steel-drivers")
                              This would be Joe Magarac, who once defeated a rail-making machine in a contest by squeezing molten steel through the spaces betwee his fingers! manoasurfer123, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, Palama Kid, and mel got that one right!

Here are the current standings with one day left to play!
                              74: Surfingfarmboy
                              58: Palama Kid
                              48: Moto
                              37.5: mel
                              36: Leo Lakio
                              34: helen
                              11: SouthKona
                              6.5: manoasurfer123

New questions: Next Post!
                              Last edited by scrivener; September 17, 2006, 09:22 PM.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I would have never gotten the 1st one since I don't own and never plan to own a cell phone. No text me$$aging for me.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X