Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest: Game 3

Originally posted by scrivener
    Hello. I know this is just a game, but could we please not contribute interesting facts about the questions until after answers are posted? One thing lots of participants like to do is send the interesting facts in private messages, and then I post them when the answers go up. Thanks for your interest, though.
    Oh. I thought we just couldn't post the actual answers to the questions. I was unaware that interesting facts were also forbidden. I took a look at the rules and didn't see anything about that.

Deeply chagrined, I am going to my room now. I feel the need to weep in private.

Comment

Hi. Please don't misunderstand me. There's no "rule" about it. However, posting a link to an image of the logo is giving more information than I intended when I wrote the question; when I write a question, I take into consideration the Googlability of the question and try (most times) to word it so that it's not too easy to find in a search engine. For example, when I posted the picture of Paulina Porizkova last October and simply asked, "who is this?" I was sorta counting on participants not posting such comments as, "I don't know her name, but she looked hot in Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue!" Yes, she did, and yes, it was an interesting fact, but yes, it also would have given participants more information than the question was designed to offer.

I usually (not always) try to make sure there's one easy, one medium, and one difficult question in each set of three. I considered this one the medium question, and wrote it in such a way as to be appropriate for the player of medium ability to track down.

So, please don't be chagrined or upset or even chastened. I'm merely asking this little favor for future reference.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

So, please don't be chagrined or upset or even chastened. I'm merely asking this little favor for future reference.
        Okay. I see your point.

I got in touch with the "alleged" assailant who was wearing the Rhino shirt. He told me what the logo meant. BTW, he's a really grumpy guy but I promised him cigarettes and he caved.

I guess you're right---posting such a pic COULD have led to a contestant having an unfair advantage over others, especially if they went to the trouble of contacting the wearer of the logo...J/K....

Now go have fun.

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 22!
          Here are today's answers!

Category: Mnemonic Possession
          I don't know if this is common at all, but when I was in school, some friends and I in a social studies class developed the mnemonic SHO ME to help us remember the order of something very familiar to us all! Can you figure out what SHO ME helped us nail on the test?
          Some participants mentioned that they used HOMES, but I contend that HOMES is a far, far inferior mnemonic, because it doesn't provide the correct order:

Going from West to East, it's Superior, Huron, Ontario in the north and Michigan and Erie just to the south. SouthKona, Moto, Helen, and Surfingfarmboy got that one!

Category: Water You Doing?
          What animal is supposedly so difficult to train that its only trick at Sea Life Park is to walk through a gate, take its turn hopping through a hoop, and then continue through another gate that leads back to its holding area?
          The cute penguin! They are my favorite animals in the shows at Sea Life Park, which is too expensive to go to very often, but definitely worth it every few years or so. I love that place. Moto, Helen, Surfingfarmboy, Cranberee, and Mel got that one! Thanks go to SouthKona for the funniest answer of the week: Canadian Tourists.

Category: Horny
          What company's logo is this?

*ecko unltd. Yes, it is a popular brand with youth culture, particularly the graffiti and hip-hop set. I personally never understood the appeal, but then I only teach fifteen-year-olds; I don't pretend to understand them! SouthKona, Helen, Surfingfarmboy, and Cranberee got that one!

Palama Kid missed the day's game because he was running around in wine country, that lucky jerk. Bring me back something, PK! I'm picturing PK grabbing the spittoon with both arms and pouring it over his head, ala Sideways, which you really should see if you haven't already.

Here are the current standings!
          55.5: Surfingfarmboy
          44.5: Palama Kid
          30.5: Moto
          27: mel
          23: Leo Lakio, helen
          17.5: pzarquon
          9: Erika Engle, Cranberee
          7: localgrl
          5: SouthKona
          3: Mike_Lowery
          2: tutusue
          1.5: jdub
          1: Madazza, craigwatanabe
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 23!
            Here are today's questions!
            1. Category: Do Not Open this Question!
              What non-existent virus sharing the name of a popular 1970s television series was warned about in emails that spread, virus-like, across the Internet community in the mid-nineties?

2. Category: With Six You Get Angioplasty
              What wildly unpopular hamburger, introduced in the mid-nineties, was supposed to appeal to a more mature, more sophisticated demographic that McDonald's wanted a piece of?

3. Category: Women in Industry
              What does WI indicate when appearing next to a course number in the course schedule of the University of Hawaii at Manoa?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, September 20! Good luck, and have fun!
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

After seeing that name I thought about Mr. Ecko on LOST.

The link was informative. I would have never guessed or even looked at fashion, though the mislaid picture of the criminal cued me in on hip-hop....
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Dang it! It's that PM again...
                Last edited by SouthKona; September 10, 2006, 09:30 PM. Reason: arrrg

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 23!

Category: Do Not Open this Question!
                  What non-existent virus sharing the name of a popular 1970s television series was warned about in emails that spread, virus-like, across the Internet community in the mid-nineties?
                  That would be 1994's GoodTimes "virus." Surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, helen, moto, and mel were not taken in by this hoax!

Category: With Six You Get Angioplasty
                  What wildly unpopular hamburger, introduced in the mid-nineties, was supposed to appeal to a more mature, more sophisticated demographic that McDonald's wanted a piece of?
                  It was the Arch Deluxe, which some respondents loved and some hated! I liked it! Surfingfarmboy (loved it), pzarquon (liked it), moto (hated it), mel (hated it), helen (liked it), and SouthKona (liked it) deserve a break today for getting that one!

Oh, and if you haven't seen this McDLT commercial with Jason Alexander. Thanks for the cool link, pz! Great joke for Seinfeld fans: read the comment by LastStarfighter.

Category: Women in Industry
                  What does WI indicate when appearing next to a course number in the course schedule of the University of Hawaii at Manoa?
                  That would be writing intensive. Too many doctors and engineers were unable to communicate what they were doing, so UHM started a new rule about a certain number of WI courses (some of which had to be upper division) in order to graduate. I actually preferred the WI courses. How many school questions is this now?

Manoasurfer123, Surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, helen, moto, and mel got that one right!

58.5: Surfingfarmboy
                  44.5: Palama Kid
                  33.5: Moto
                  30: mel
                  26: helen
                  23: Leo Lakio
                  20.5: pzarquon
                  6: SouthKona
                  1: Madazza, craigwatanabe, manoasurfer123

New questions, next post!
                  Last edited by scrivener; September 10, 2006, 11:16 PM.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 24!
                    1. Category: To Get Her Poor Dog a Bone
                      There are many other names that belong on the list including Baker, Baldrige, Donovan, Heckler, and Pierce. What are three of them?

2. Category: Semi-Colonoscopy
                      The IRS mailed my family their tax refund.
                      What is wrong with this sentence, and how should it correctly be written?

3. Category: I Auto Teach You a Lesson
                      What do the numbers 1-3-4-2 mean when read under the hood of an automobile?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Monday, September 11! Good luck, and have fun!
                    Last edited by scrivener; September 10, 2006, 11:17 PM.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

• Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest: Game 3

It was the Arch Deluxe, which some respondents loved and some hated! I liked it! Surfingfarmboy (loved it)
                      In the name of truth, it shall be known to all concerned, that I never consumed an Arch Deluxe...the mere thought of eating that genre of food is abjectly repulsive to me!

Tofu, inari, and natto forever!

Surfingfarmboy

Comment

I like most hamburgers. The Arch Deluxe was not one of them. I miss the McDLT.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

It was the Arch Deluxe, which some respondents loved and some hated! I liked it! Surfingfarmboy (loved it), pzarquon (liked it), moto (hated it), mel (hated it), helen (liked it), and SouthKona (liked it) deserve a break today for getting that one!
                          NOT I do not eat there, at all, never .... ok, I had a soda there once in the last 5 years.

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 24!

Category: To Get Her Poor Dog a Bone
                            There are many other names that belong on the list including Baker, Baldrige, Donovan, Heckler, and Pierce. What are three of them?
                            These are names of members of President Ronald Reagan's cabinet. Would you believe that I was once playing Outburst with a bunch of teachers, and this came up as one of the categories. I nearly swept the cateogry, missing some very obvious names (Baker, Weinberger) because I was so bent on getting the lesser-knowns (Baldrige, Donovan, Pierce). My colleagues' jaws hit the floor! It was great for my rep.

Helen, Palama Kid (back from wine country!), Surfingfarmboy, moto, pzarquon, mel, and Leo Lakio all got that one! Mel declares you all "Honorable Republicans for a Day!" I want to know if that first part is an oxymoron! Kidding!

From Surfingfarmboy:
                            Trivia for you: An ice cream milk shake is known as a "cabinet" in Rhode Island. Example: "Go to Delectka's in Warren and get me a chocolate cabinet"

Category: Semi-Colonoscopy
                            The IRS mailed my family their tax refund.
                            What is wrong with this sentence, and how should it correctly be written?
                            "Family" is a singular, collective noun, and therefore requires a singular pronoun. Therefore, it should correctly be written: The IRS mailed my family its tax refund. There are times in common usage when, in American English, "family" can be used as a plural, as when individual members of the group are considered singly (as in this example cited by Palama Kid. However, this English teacher says this is sloppy usage even in this way. For the example above, since "refund" is singular and NOT plural, it should be assumed that the family received one refund; thus its members are not being considered singly. However, the point that I wanted everyone to get was that "family" is singular and "their" is plural, so if you mentioned that, you get the point. I'm giving half a point if you re-wrote the sentence correctly but didn't say what the problem was. Helen (half), Palama Kid, moto (half), Surfingfarmboy (half), pzarquon, mel (half), and Leo Lakio got at least part of it right! Thanks for the link, Palama Kid!

Category: I Auto Teach You a Lesson
                            What do the numbers 1-3-4-2 mean when read under the hood of an automobile?
                            This is the firing order of the pistons in a four-cylinder engine. Take a good look, those of you who said you've never seen it: It's almost always written there somewhere. Helen, Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, moto, pzarquon, and Leo Lakio got that one right!

Here are the current standings, with one week left to play!
                            61: Surfingfarmboy
                            47.5: Palama Kid
                            36: Moto
                            31.5: mel
                            28.5: helen
                            26: Leo Lakio
                            23.5: pzarquon
                            1: Madazza, craigwatanabe, manoasurfer123

GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 25!
                              1. Category: Magic Carpal Ride
                                We're all familiar with carpal tunnel syndrome, often a repetitive stress injury caused by excessive, improper, unhealthy typing habits. My friend has this condition in her foot. What is this foot condition properly called?

2. Category: Found You at Last
                                Which successful local musical duo met at Maryknoll Schools when its members were still in sixth and seventh grades?

3. Category: Cobra Kai Never Dies!!!
                                What uniform-wearing professional wrestler often put his opponents away with the Cobra Clutch?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 12! Good luck, and have fun!
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 25!

Category: Magic Carpal Ride
                                We're all familiar with carpal tunnel syndrome, often a repetitive stress injury caused by excessive, improper, unhealthy typing habits. My friend has this condition in her foot. What is this foot condition properly called?
                                I'm looking for tarsal tunnel syndrome. It's basically the same condition, but in the foot. Toes up to manoasurfer123, localgrl, moto, PalamaKid, Leo Lakio, and Mel for putting their best foot forward on that one.

Category: Found You at Last
                                Which successful local musical duo met at Maryknoll Schools when its members were still in sixth and seventh grades?
                                If you haven't heard Keahiwai's "Falling," you don't live in Hawaii. I'm not a huge fan of most local pop music, but this is a sweet, sweet song, totally sold by sincere performance of Mailani Makainai and Lei Melket. Available on iTunes and a great song. I believe that so many of the local covers are earnest but in some way insincere; they lack a certain soul. Not Keahiwai.

Guitar picks and Finger Ease for manoasurfer123, Surfingfarmboy, Moto, Palama Kid, and Leo Lakio for strumming their stuff on that one.

Category: Cobra Kai Never Dies!!!
                                What uniform-wearing professional wrestler often put his opponents away with the Cobra Clutch?
                                Oh, too, too, too easy! manoasurfer123, Surfingfarmboy, localgrl, Helen, Moto, Palama Kid, Leo Lakio, and Mel put the sleeper on that one!

63: Surfingfarmboy
                                50.5: Palama Kid
                                39: Moto
                                33.5: mel
                                29.5: helen
                                29: Leo Lakio
                                23.5: pzarquon
                                9: Erika Engle, Cranberee, localgrl
                                4: manoasurfer123
                                1: Madazza, craigwatanabe

Last edited by scrivener; September 12, 2006, 09:47 PM.
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X