19 year old seeking a job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 19 year old seeking a job

And don't forget, Adrian, you'll need $$$ to start with.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Adrian, some of the best fertilizer for growing up includes a demographic solution. Get away, be completely self-sufficient. Get to know new surroundings and cultural ways of doing things. Get to know yourself. Meet your soul mate (or at least one of them, heh).

How many family stories includes the lore of that young man who got on a boat/train/plane and headed for foreign lands, to meet his destiny? Head towards yours, dude.

You are such a smart young man. The world is your oyster!

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
        Adrian, some of the best fertilizer for growing up includes a demographic solution. Get away, be completely self-sufficient. Get to know new surroundings and cultural ways of doing things. Get to know yourself. Meet your soul mate (or at least one of them, heh).

How many family stories includes the lore of that young man who got on a boat/train/plane and headed for foreign lands, to meet his destiny? Head towards yours, dude.

Ditto that. Take your show on the road.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post

This is such wonderful advice, PM; in fact, this whole thread has brought more than one whimsical smile to my face. For what it's worth, I was just a little older than Adrian when I moved to Hawaii 34 years ago and landed my first job in advertising. It was a scary, exciting choice to leave my comfort zone(s). If I may offer a little bit of insight to Adrian, too: Adrian, I think you will discover that most of the time, the hardest thing about change is making the decision to change.

Comment

Adrian, don't believe the hype.

It's not necessary to move away to the mainland in order to "find yourself."

You just haven't found a career yet. Keep trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
              You just haven't found a career yet. Keep trying.
              I really love computers, and pursued that love after high school. Probably my lack of experience hurts me, but I gotta start somewhere. Maybe I'm stubborn to stick to computers when I'm in a desperate situation like this, but that's all I know.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
                I really love computers, and pursued that love after high school. Probably my lack of experience hurts me, but I gotta start somewhere. Maybe I'm stubborn to stick to computers when I'm in a desperate situation like this, but that's all I know.
                Adrian, you have almost 2 years of hands on, practical experience, plus you did that gig at HawTel on the Help Desk. You have more experience now than you did 2 years ago. There will always be jobs for which you will be underqualified, but if you don't even try to apply for anything more than WM cart retriever or sales clerk, you'll never get to do what you really want to do! Go apply for that Aloha Airlines job, pronto, before it's filled. My guess is you'd have a pretty good shot at at least getting an interview. You know your stuff; you just have to let some hiring managers know that too.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I don't know if I done this here, but here's my resume. If you see anything I need to change, please tell me.

(the email address in there is in the process of being made, so it'll be a few more minutes before it's active)

Comment

I don't know if I done this here, but here's my resume. If you see anything I need to change, please tell me.

(the email address in there is in the process of being made, so it'll be a few more minutes before it's active)
                    Your resume is impressive. How much experience with networks have you had? Any with web-based technologies? You've also had to coach/train some of your customers, so I would add customer training as one of the skills you have. What you have is a good description of what you've done in the past, now what kind of job are you looking for? You need to state that as part of your objective.

Other than that, it's well done. Good luck and get going with those job applications! One other suggestion: when you're looking at job descriptions, just skim over the part about what you'd be doing in the job and concentrate on the "requirements" part of the description. If the company website allows you, always write a cover letter and answer how you meet or exceed the "requirements" for the job. Do it in bullet points to make it easier for the hiring manager to read. If you know in advance what the name of the company is (you won't in most craigslist ads), do an online search of the company and learn something about it, so when you have your interview you will know to ask some questions about the company and what it does (hiring managers like that you already know about the company when you interview with them).

Miulang
                    Last edited by Miulang; July 27, 2007, 01:55 PM.
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

here's an updated resume I revised thanks to another forum.

Comment

here's an updated resume I revised thanks to another forum.
                        Have you had any experience with configuring TCP/IP? LAN/WAN? Wi-fi? IIS? Know anything about computer security?

You should also mention that your experience with HawTel was during its startup period so that the hiring managers know that you had to work under extreme pressure and yet were able to get the job done.

Start using the new resume now and you can tweak it as you go along. If there are certain jobs that have slightly different requirements than this basic resume, it's OK to modify your resume so that it better fits the job. Just don't lie about any skills you don't have because it will come back and bite you in the okole. It's also OK not to be a perfect fit for a job. If they say a certain requirement is "preferred", that means they will still consider you. Anything that's not listed as "preferred" means that they want you to have at least those minimum qualifications.

Don't list your references (props that you didn't say "references available on request" because they will always ask you for those anyway if you're a serious candidate), but make sure you have updated contact information for your references (and always ask permission to use them as references).

Good luck!

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                          Have you had any experience with configuring TCP/IP? LAN/WAN? Wi-fi? IIS? Know anything about computer security?
                          All that stuff was in school only.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                            You should also mention that your experience with HawTel was during its startup period so that the hiring managers know that you had to work under extreme pressure and yet were able to get the job done.
                            So, I should put "worked at Hawaiian Telcom during its startup period"? I don't want to mention I was part of the "problem" that the media reported.

Comment

Are there such things as 'professional resumé writers' in Hawaii? Ones that, for a fee, will sit you down and write ou something that looks good and outlines your talents?
                              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

All that stuff was in school only.
                                Do you play up the courses you took? How about any projects you worked on? A lot of the time employers will look at school projects as experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X