Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 19 year old seeking a job

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    Are there such things as 'professional resumé writers' in Hawaii? Ones that, for a fee, will sit you down and write ou something that looks good and outlines your talents?
    I'm sure there are - but in many places, you can get that service for free; unemployment offices have been shifting over to help-find-employment offices in many states.

Comment

What about Adrian joining the military?
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

What about Adrian joining the military?
        I could barely survive parts of the Police training when I was in the Law Enforcement Explorers Program. I'll die in military training.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

K-den...you got ukapila talents foa computers. You keep asking for ADVICE! Get going and DO something instead of sitting on your arse and dreaming. Everyday is the same old thing from you...complaining about dis and dat. Get a grip. Lucky you have an Ohana, a Hale and food every day. You have skills, brains and youth.

Use it!

Don't complain.

Good luck.

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
            I could barely survive parts of the Police training when I was in the Law Enforcement Explorers Program. I'll die in military training.
            Pray that the draft isn't reinstated.

You never know, Adrian, it might force you to really take a good look at yourself. The military had always neen the time-honoured way for boys to grow into men. And these days, they are desperate for good people...you might even be able to negociate a job with them where your skills could be used, and honed.

My own dad was drafted, and then went on to Officer Candidate School. He made a career out of it, and then retired to use those skills in private industry.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Pray that the draft isn't reinstated.

You never know, Adrian, it might force you to really take a good look at yourself. The military had always neen the time-honoured way for boys to grow into men. And these days, they are desperate for good people...you might even be able to negociate a job with them where your skills could be used, and honed.

My own dad was drafted, and then went on to Officer Candidate School. He made a career out of it, and then retired to use those skills in private industry.
              That's why I respect our military men and women who are fighting for our country (even though I don't believe in our president) - them, and nurses and doctors. Since I don't have the 'guts' to go into those professions, I respect them enough to let them do their job.

Comment

here's an updated resume I revised thanks to another forum.
                That link didn't work for me. But I went to the top of your site and found a copy. Not bad. A couple of things I'd change. "replaced nonworking hardware with new hardware" and "repaired and reinstalled damaged software" doesn't strike me as "right". You do want to say you took care of hardware and software problems, but the way these are phrased doesn't seem right. I think it's diminishes the skill. "Board swapper" is hardly a term of endearment. "Troubleshoot and repair hardware and software" would be what I'd use.

Any other achievements, or awards? You might want to make some mention of how closely supervised you were. Employers look for people that don't have to be constantly watched. Repairing things at customer's home suggests you can you work unsupervised, but you might want say more about it.

As far as moving away, there's pros and cons. I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but study that angle carefully. If you move away, you'll need enough to move and live while you look for a job. My hunch is that with your new car this isn't a good time to do that. Given Hawaii's low unemployment, I'd think you'd be able to find something.

Comment

Adrian:
                  Sometimes working with an employment agency works, too. They don't charge you anything for their help and they very often know about jobs that you would never find. Most jobs are temporary (anywhere from 3 months on up), but sometimes they do have permanent or temp-to-perm jobs. They will also evaluate your resume for you and redo it so it works to at least get you interviews (they do this for a living, and how well they do it determines how much they get paid).

I just PM'd you with another tech support position. It's a temporary to permanent position. This one partially pays for parking, which would be a good thing.

You left all your healthcare experience off this resume, which is good if you want a technical job. But maybe you should do another resume with your healthcare experience on it, in case you decide you want to get out of the techie stuff for awhile? I know you've got the training and you certainly have the experience, with helping your Mom and all...

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

With your experience, have you sent your resume into any of the ISPs in the area? You might end up starting in tech support or some grunt type position but at least it's in your field and after a few years you can go someplace else if there's no advancement or pay raises.

If anything you can learn what else you may need to increase your skill levels by watching and learning from your co workers.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                      This one partially pays for parking, which would be a good thing.
                      Partially? All the jobs I've had that require me to use my car pay my parking in full. That includes all the crummy entry-level stuff. If they don't expect you to use your car for work, then that's a nice benny.

I'd send the resume out to any company of sufficient size to have a help desk. It's not just ISPs that need help.

Comment

Hospitals need techy types too.

Comment

I just came back from my own job hunt by going to 4 computer repair places (compared to us, our place looks small, but very nice ) and I gave my resume to 2 of them - the rest aren't hiring ATM.

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                          You left all your healthcare experience off this resume, which is good if you want a technical job. But maybe you should do another resume with your healthcare experience on it, in case you decide you want to get out of the techie stuff for awhile? I know you've got the training and you certainly have the experience, with helping your Mom and all...
                          Like I stated earlier, I have the utmost respect for healthcare workers. I know what they go through and I don't see myself going through it - even if its for pay.

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                          With your experience, have you sent your resume into any of the ISPs in the area? You might end up starting in tech support or some grunt type position but at least it's in your field and after a few years you can go someplace else if there's no advancement or pay raises.
                          With the way its been going, I might do that. Hopefully the actual company will support us more instead of like how we were treated back when Hawaiian Telcom was starting up. I just fear that if I want to go that route, then my only choice is to work for Hawaiian Telcom, as Oceanic's HQ isn't bus accessible.

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                          Hospitals need techy types too.
                          I went to Queen's and Kapiolani's websites, and so far they don't have any openings for computer-related positions unless I have a few years of experience repairing hospital-type equipment (plus, I thought hospitals contracted their tech support to outside companies?)

Comment

(plus, I thought hospitals contracted their tech support to outside companies?)
                            So be sure you are contacting those companies, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              So be sure you are contacting those companies, too.
                              But the hard part is finding those companies.

The way I got into Hawaiian Telcom, was from a flyer that was passed out at school.

Comment

But the hard part is finding those companies.

The way I got into Hawaiian Telcom, was from a flyer that was passed out at school.
                                Why don't you take a little excursion over to Heald and check out their job boards over there? Don't they have a place near the counseling office that has information from different companies? Heald's website says they offer job placement for life. For all the money your family spent, you should get your money's worth by getting over to the counseling office and get some help!

You could also let your fingers do some more work...Google: "hospitals in Honolulu". Then look for the page with the listing of ALL Hawai'i hospitals (about the 4th entry down). Then when you get the list, go back and type in, for ex. "Kaiser Permanente employment" and it will take you to their career page. Google: "Employment Agencies in Honolulu" and see what turns up. Go to each company's website and you can tell what kinds of positions they recruit for.

C'mon, Adrian, start using your brain! Researching for things on the internet is a very useful skill! Finding another job IS a job in itself, and Google is your friend.

Miulang
                                Last edited by Miulang; July 28, 2007, 08:23 PM.
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X