Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 19 year old seeking a job

Originally posted by adrian View Post
    I went to Queen's and Kapiolani's websites, and so far they don't have any openings for computer-related positions unless I have a few years of experience repairing hospital-type equipment (plus, I thought hospitals contracted their tech support to outside companies?)
    nope. i once dated a former network admin from KMC and am friends with a system admin at KAI.

my most favorite people where i work are in our IT dept, and they work really hard and long hours. i will warn you that hospitals, even those with endowments, are running very tight ships nowadays and are concentrating hiring for positions directly related to patient care.

i should also say that one of the IT guys i work with also works weekends at CompUSA.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Hawaii Business Magazine comes out with a issue of lists. Get your hands on a copy and go down the top 100 companies in Hawaii. All of them that size probably have an internal help desk.

That's the way our sales people find companies to sell to.

Comment

Adrian, in a way our lives are about the same. Except I'm about 12 years older than you. The major difference is you have a college degree, I don't. I went to college for a year and dropped out back in 1995. I hear the song and dance from my parents that I need to take charge or my life,there is this window of opportunity regularly.

My dad especially has been trying to get me to apply for TSA. I have 9 years of x-ray background from when I worked for USDA-APHIS.At this point I really
        don't know what to do with my life (and I'm 31).I really don't want to work for TSA for a lot of reasons. Nor do I want to work in management in retail.

I'm not trying to feel sorry for myself for the situation I'm in. I'm just trying to give some perspective that you are not the only one going through this.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

I suggest that the both of you travel the world, with packpacks.
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Adrian, go to the state employment office on Punchbowl Street. They have job listings, will work with you on a resume and help you find the right job. and it's all free.

There are jobs out there and many of them are in hi-tech fields. All you have to do is go down to their office and ask for some help.

What have you got to lose???
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              Adrian, go to the state employment office on Punchbowl Street. They have job listings, will work with you on a resume and help you find the right job. and it's all free.

There are jobs out there and many of them are in hi-tech fields. All you have to do is go down to their office and ask for some help.

What have you got to lose???
              I'll check it out on Tuesday.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I'll check it out on Tuesday.
                What's wrong with Monday?
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                  Why don't you lay off and let the guy live his own life?

Comment

Susie...Adrian's been given so advice of late that he could've easily filled his Monday already. Just a thought...

Comment

• Re: 19 year old seeking a job

I work on monday.

(yay. I made the 100th post in this thread!)

Comment

I work on monday.
                        Hope that works out for you - I know that they provide those types of services here, but I didn't know if Hawai`i offered something similar. Thanks for the confirmation, Fran, and I hope you get some inspiration, Adrian.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                          Why don't you lay off and let the guy live his own life?
                          Adrian, you know - PJ is right! We all need to quit giving our versions of what your life should be like and let you make your own decisions.

Best of luck to you in finding a new job!!!
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

when your spirits are down and you're looking for a job, it's really not helpful to hear people make snippy, critical remarks. i congratulate you on being to handle such comments with more grace than i would have, and i'm roughly ten years older than you. by even posting here for suggestions, you're doing better than a lot of people i know would have in your place.

from what i've seen here, adrian, you might be only 19 but you likely have a better head on your shoulders than many of us here did when we were your age. the other thing i might note is that you probably are a more valueable employee in different fields than you think you are.

maybe some career counselling might help?

fran pointed out that the state employment office can be helpful. i recently found out that you don't have to go to punchbowl street; you can also go to any of the oahu works links sites which are located in different places on the island.

additionally, if you're interested, you can also check out the following job listings bank, which i found on via the old version of ehawaii.gov. i'd used it before, and even though ultimately i didn't find a job from those listings, it's still a useful resource. just by reading what's available there, i realized how my skills could be parlayed into jobs/industries i would not have previously considered. plus you can easily see what jobs are available outside of hawaii, too, if you're curious.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                              Adrian, you know - PJ is right! We all need to quit giving our versions of what your life should be like and let you make your own decisions.

Best of luck to you in finding a new job!!!
                              <snob>yeah, leave me alone!</snob>

Comment

There's one other State resource that might be helpful to you, Adrian. I can't remember if I already told you about Career Kokua, but that website has ukapila information about different occupations and other useful information like interviewing skills, writing resumes and cover letters, etc. Take some time and wander around this website.

Up here, the equivalent to Career Kokua (Worksource) also has onsite classes which are required by those who are collecting unemployment, but anyone can sit in them for free. Don't know if Hawai'i has something similar. Sometimes it's useful to actually sit in a class with others in your situation. Kind of reassuring to know that you're not the only one going through this, and it's a way of networking with people, too. If you go to the State Employment Agency, you might want to ask if they have onsite classes that you could take on searching for your next job.

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X