X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iraq War Called Illegal by Hawai‘i Army Lieutenant

Originally posted by glossyp
    What I don't understand is why he joined the Army in the first place. His father protested Vietnam, he had an uncle who died in Korea and the Iraq war was already underway when he signed up.
    Short answer: a free education. He is learning the hard way that nothing is free in this world.
    You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
      Short answer: a free education.
      You have any evidence to support that? His father said he joined out of patriotism after 9/11.
      Last edited by Linkmeister; June 7, 2006, 11:23 AM.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I was just down in Tacoma, where the Lt. was supposed to appear at a news conference. Unfortunately, he was confined to quarters and couldn't attend, but he did issue a video statement. I was standing outside with a crowd of about 30 other people (I was the only Asian looking person there, although there were 3 or 4 African Americans and some Vietnam Vets for Peace in the crowd too). The room where the news conference was being held was really crowded and hot, so I elected to just stand outside with the larger group of people. In the pieces of conversation I overheard from the crowd outside, not once was mention made of his ethnicity; and only once did I hear anything about his being from Hawai'i.

I was listening to and watching the TV news guys as they reported their stories and some of the background information they were reporting included the fact that Lt. Watada had been stationed in Korea prior to being reassigned to the Stryker Brigade so he has not seen any combat, he is the first active duty officer believed to be openly opposed to the occupation of Iraq and there have been fewer desertions (like 8,000) since Iraq was invaded than there were in the Vietnam conflict.

Some other news event around his announcement is supposed to happen at 6 p.m. this evening, but I decided not to stick around.

Miulang

P.S. there were no anti-Watada protestors in attendance, and Tacoma is a biiiiig military town.
        Last edited by Miulang; June 7, 2006, 11:29 AM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

According the Advertiser article that was linked here Watada graduated from HPU and then joined the Army for a 3 year enlistment.

I have to give him some credit for the path he is choosing, he could have gone AWOL. Here at least he is trying to press the issue, with the worse that can happen to him is jail time.

Comment

Here's a news story and part of the video statement released by Lt. Watada. He is supposed to appear in person in Tacoma at 6 p.m. this afternoon. He was ordered by the Army not to attend any meetings or press conferences during business hours, so he will be appearing on his own time later today.

Here's some insight into why Lt. Watada believes it is his obligation and duty to refuse to deploy to Iraq.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Lt. Watada did show up around 6:15 this evening in Tacoma for a news conference. The audience was comprised mostly of the media. He was asked by a reporter if there was a difference between what was happening in Iraq and what was happening in Afghanistan. Interestingly, he said he was only opposed to what was going on in Iraq after doing a lot of homework and studying the reasons why the US got involved in that action (he said that he had been trained as a leader, and he had to learn as much as he could about the situation so he could protect his men). He said he would not have any qualms about being shipped to Afghanistan and lead a unit there. He also said he had some support from the squad that was under his command, but there was tension in the unit (understandably so).

He still hasn't been charged with anything by the Army and probably won't be until he refuses to board the plane to Iraq. He really shouldn't be shipped to Iraq now, at least not with the unit that he was supposed to command because "accidents" might happen to people in that unit once they get to Iraq. The Army could ship him to Afghanistan, though, and he would not resist being shipped there.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by waioli kai
                Wars that are criminal, wars that are illegal, wars that are immoral should be opposed by the soldiers, marines and airmen who are ordered to engage in such wars. US's U.S. War on Iraq is just such a war that should be opposed.
                Right. And I'm sure the great warrior Kamehameha would have granted clemency to any of his troops who chickened out -- er, "opposed" killing those they were fighting.

"Y'know, Kammy, it just doesn't seem right to push these guys over the cliff just because you're insane with the lust for conquest and land grabbing -- AAAAAAAAIIIEEEE!!!!" <thud>
                Last edited by MadAzza; June 7, 2006, 10:51 PM.

Comment

I would hate to think that someone signed up for the military without fully appreciating that when a country goes to war -- for whatever reason, things happen that are unspeakable and ugly.

Our fathers, uncles and brothers who served in WWII, the Korean War, Vietnam and other conflicts all know this. And if pressed, might talk about it. But generally not. There's times that were tedious, nerve wracking and horrendously dangerous. But that's war. That's what happens when you live in a situation where a whole bunch of people are doing all they can all day long to exterminate you.

Once committed, a soldier has little choice but to comply. He or she could back out of his sworn duty to country. But he has to also be willing to pay the price of disobedience, no matter how harsh the penalty. Because at its most basic level, the soldier isn't there just to defend or support his country, but to support and defend his fellow soldier. Abandon your post and you abandon those who put their trust in your allegiance. And you'll have to live with that label and legacy forever after.

Comment

Supporters have set up a website: http://www.thankyoult.org/

Comment

I coulda sworn there were others (not many, but still a few) who refused to be deployed. I think those people (if I am not disremembering this) were dishonorably discharged. I suspect that because this case is getting publicity, Watada may face a harder penalty. The military is already stretched thin with lagging recruitment and having to stop loss or even recall back to active duty military people who should be or have been discharged from the military. The military might not think it can afford opening the door to individual soldiers trying to tell the military where to send them or what they will or won't do (within a legal context) or trying to get out before their enlistment time is up.

I wonder if the war is "legal" as well but Watada will have a hard hard time proving that it isn't especially given the amount of scrutiny the issue has already had. I also wonder if it makes a difference that this isn't really a war ~ I think we haven't had a officially declared war since WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                        I coulda sworn there were others (not many, but still a few) who refused to be deployed.
                        According to television news reports last evening, there have been around ten or eleven other cases, but they all refused deployment for "family reasons." This may be the first test of "moral grounds."

Comment

ah, yes, I think there was at least one publicized case (I think where both husband and wife were going to be deployed and there was an issue about who would care for their children) so the wife was trying to stay in the military but not be deployed. But I also think there were at least a couple of cases where people objected to the validity of this particular war and were quietly dishonorably discharged. It might be that those cases (again, if I am not disremembering) were quietly disposed of because the people involved did not make a public challenge to the validity or morality of the our (by "our" I mean the generic America under our current leadership, not each and every individual *g*) actions in Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                            I also wonder if it makes a difference that this isn't really a war ~ I think we haven't had a officially declared war since WWII.
                            President George Bush said he did not regret his "mission accomplished" speech aboard an aircraft carrier on May 1, 2003, in which he declared the Iraq war over.

As of yesterday, the death toll is rising...continuing taking the lives of our brave men and women.
                            http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

As citizens, we can argue the facts and grumble about the War in Iraq. It is our right. As for soldiers who enlist, it is another story. They volunteer on their own Freewill. They know and understand what they are getting into. No and's, if's or but's.

There is no Daddy or Mommy to hold their hand or hide behind a skirt because their scared shitless. No, it doesn't work that way. However, I wouldn't want none of my children to be led into battle with someone of LT. Watada's character. He may have the rank but he doesn't have the heart to lead any unit into battle on a dangerous mission, especially in Iraq.

My views are my own. I hate this war too. That is beside the point. Many soldiers past and present have gone willingly and left their families to fight for our Freedom never questioning why. They follow orders, obey and carry their missions with pride and dignity and they were trained.

We boast that we have the best Military Personnel in the World. I believe we still do. LT Watada is a mere pimple that needs to be taught a lesson so that others will not follow in suit. If he wants to pursue his stand against our involvement in Iraq ~ by all means do it, after he pays his dues back to Uncle Sam.

Lynn Vasquez
                            Proud Mom of Heros!

My #1 Hero, My Son - Staff Sgt. Conrad Vasquez
                            Hooha!

btw: My son-inlaw, Justin, leaves for his second tour in Iraq soon.
                            Last edited by 1stwahine; June 8, 2006, 11:49 AM.
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Auntie;

Nice looking boy you got there. With that salad bar, it would have been a comfort to serve with him.

I am former military officer of AJA. I served in Desert Storm. Watada is a disgrace to all the AJA that served before him. If you have not served or are not close to someone who served, then you cannot begin to understand the implications of Watada's actions.

Time is not on his side. If he misses his movement at the end of the month, then the gears will start turning. And he will be between the teeth. It is not a question of "if" it will a question of "when" he gets locked up.
                              You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

"We boast that we have the best Military Personnel in the World. I believe we still do."

even after napalming 3 million vietnamese women and children and the my lai massacres and invading grenada,panama,nicaragua,and any other small poor third world country and invading iraq and torturing prisoners in abu gharaib and shooting mothers holding their babies in haditha.
                                america's volunteer army is composed of lower class welfare kids who cant afford college so end up corporate mercenaries for the military-industrial complex killing people around the world for exxon and halliburton and to put gas into america's suv's.
                                every american soldier will be remembered by the world as the torturing baby killers forever.no surprise the world celebrates each one that gets blown up.

Comment

Working...
                                X