Iraq War Called Illegal by Lt. Watada - Chapter 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rummy's "snowflakes"

Though he has been away from power for a year now, new revelations about Donald Rumsfeld's management style are now surfacing.

In a series of internal musings and memos to his staff, then-Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld argued that Muslims avoid "physical labor" and wrote of the need to "keep elevating the threat," "link Iraq to Iran" and develop "bumper sticker statements" to rally public support for an increasingly unpopular war.

...Under siege in April 2006, when a series of retired generals denounced him and called for his resignation in newspaper op-ed pieces, Rumsfeld produced a memo after a conference call with military analysts. "Talk about Somalia, the Philippines, etc. Make the American people realize they are surrounded in the world by violent extremists," he wrote.

People will "rally" to sacrifice, he noted after the meeting. "They are looking for leadership. Sacrifice = Victory."

The meeting also led Rumsfeld to write that he needed a team to help him "go out and push people back, rather than simply defending" Iraq policy and strategy. "I am always on the defense. They say I do it well, but you can't win on the defense," he wrote. "We can't just keep taking hits."
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Iraq War Called Illegal by Lt. Watada - Chapter 2

Today's news. Excerpts:

A U.S. District Court judge today granted a preliminary injunction that bars the Army from proceeding with a second court-martial trial of 1st Lt. Ehren Watada, the first Army officer to face prison for refusing to deploy to Iraq.

In his written decision, Judge Benjamin Settle of Tacoma found that the Army judge "likely abused his discretion" in the court-martial, and that Watada's District Court case about violations of Fifth Amendment protections was likely to succeed on merit. He ordered the U.S. Army not to proceed with a Fort Lewis court-martial that could result in up to six years in prison for failing to deploy and conduct unbecoming an officer.

The Army Office of the Staff Judge Advocate — in a statement released late today — said it plans to file additional briefs on the double jeopardy issues.

Watada's attorneys hope that Settle eventually will opt to issue a permanent injunction, which would prevent any retrial of Watada unless the Army was able to overturn the decision on appeal.

Comment

So I'm doing a Yahoo search of my name and come across this forum from a Japanese website listing not only me but a few of us that reside in this forum. Check poster Beckchurnside's second posting. Bechchurnside comments on a reply:

Quote:Originally Posted by nice gaijin

looks like that answers a lot of questions; interesting that the ones who mention his ethnicity refer to him as Hawaiian, and not Japanese. Also, it seems that he is willing to accept his punishment, which makes seeking asylum a moot point.

And the reply

No, I want to tell him to take up Japanese nationality. I want to convince him that this is a good idea. To this effect, I even opened up an account on Hawaiiforums, and told them about this idea. I want them to come here and join us on the discussion. People such as Craigwatanabe, 1stwhinie, Miulang, and the whole entire gang, on that forum. I want to just talk to him about it. It is more about the child having a father. The baby deserves a father that is there, be it in Canada or in Japan. I only say Japan because it would be the easiest for him to get under political problems. I would be just as happy to see him get a Swiss passport, but that would be too hard for him at this point.

Oh I guess he/she was banned on that site as indicated by the words "banned" Amazing that the Yahoo search engine shows more links than Google. Found a few other's linked to my name as well that were pulled from HT's forum. One even used my avatar!
        Last edited by craigwatanabe; January 22, 2008, 10:37 AM.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'm not 1stwhinie!! I'm 1stwahine!!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            I'm not 1stwhinie!! I'm 1stwahine!!

Auntie Lynn
            yeah yeah same ting... and we're all Hawaiian too! I better stand in line at KSBE den yeah?
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The Honolulu Advertiser weighed in this week, on the continuing legal limbo for Lt. Watada. How long does the U.S. Army have to prepare a response to Judge Settle before the preliminary injunction becomes permanent? I’m not a lawyer, but it stands to reason there would be some sort of statute of limitations.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                How long does the U.S. Army have to prepare a response to Judge Settle before the preliminary injunction becomes permanent? I’m not a lawyer, but it stands to reason there would be some sort of statute of limitations.
                "Statute of limitations" isn't the term that would apply in this type of case, but I know what you are asking - some sort of timeline that would apply to the status of the injunction.

There are so many variables; in some injunction matters, a trial must occur (and be won by the side seeking the injunction) before permanence can be assigned - in other cases, there is a timetable (such as thirty days) - in yet others, it is open to the interpretation of the Judge.

I wish I had a clearer answer for you in Lt. Watada's situation - it seems to have been in legal limbo since November of last year.

Comment

The Army has tied itself up in a knot on this case and has nowhere to go but either let Lt. Watada off the hook, which it is supremely loath to do, or as it is, let him twist in the wind forever, because to retry him will invoke double jeopardy, thus freeing him.

Just more of what is called Military Justice, but are in fact simply kangaroo courts. They do as they please, actual justice be damned, and have been getting away with it to an all time level under Bush's rule. They've proved it time after time with trials of horribly guilty troops from the Iraq/Afganistan theater that get off scott free or with nothing sentences and then have those commuted to nothing other than a slap on the wrist for major offenses and cover-ups.
                  But those they want nailed for simply standing up to them for thier rights and what is right, get it big time.

Here's yet another example of this totally corupt military in-justice system - http://www.truthout.org/article/army...trial-detainee
                  Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 31, 2008, 01:20 PM.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                    They do as they please, actual justice be damned, and have been getting away with it to an all time level under Bush's rule.
                    You may be right, though continual citation of the same website does your credibility little shine. A story last month in the Seattle Weekly cites an Army major as implying different soldiers would be given different treatment, depending on how their commander happened to feel that day. Talk about justice not being blind!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Thanx for the Seattleweekly info.

But, how does using a good web site lessen any credibility?
                      The truth is the truth, and this site provides it.
                      My oft use of the truthout site is simply because that is where tons of true news is posted daily and in one spot that you can most usually trust to the utmost. It's laid out nicely (even with the new format which I am now getting used to), and with limited time to search the net for real news, it's convinient.

You have to worry too much about the various net sites honesty and reliability, and truthout has proven itself over the years.
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

On the two-year anniversary of Lt. Ehren Watada’s announcement that he would refuse to deploy, the Star-Bulletin has some news to report. According to Watada's lawyers, the judge may finally resolve the injunction matter this fall. As Oregon Public Broadcasting notes, this could mean Watada will miss a second deployment by his unit.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Watada has company.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,367282,00.html

"a former sergeant [and current reservist] who was honorably discharged from the army after serving five years in Afghanistan, Japan, Germany, and the Philippines — has reportedly denounced the Iraq war, calling it "illegal and unconstitutional [and refused to deploy to Iraq]...."

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                            Watada has company.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,367282,00.html

"a former sergeant [and current reservist] who was honorably discharged from the army after serving five years in Afghanistan, Japan, Germany, and the Philippines — has reportedly denounced the Iraq war, calling it "illegal and unconstitutional [and refused to deploy to Iraq]...."
                            As I mentioned earlier, there are many enlisted men who have refused to deploy to Iraq. Why Fox News focused on this particular one, I have no clue.

What makes Watada’s case so unique, is he is the first active-duty commissioned officer to do so. His case sets a precedent, once it is resolved. Unlike enlisted men, who swear to obey the President, an officer instead promises to support and defend the U.S. Constitution. That is the crux of the Watada defense — that the law requires him to disobey an illegal order.

He and his family obviously want this to all be over, but much of world would like to see this case go all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. Many see this as a dispute between Lt. Watada and George W. Bush himself. Should Dubya choose to invoke “Executive Priviledge” it will create a media frenzy that would likely force Sen. Harry Reid and Rep. Nancy Pelosi to reconsider their “off-the-table” pledge for Presidential impeachment proceedings.

Watada recently gave his first interview in a year to The American Prospect, earlier this month.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

I suspect the difference as to why the case I quoted and the Watada case are not being handled quietly the way that perhaps other cases of people refusing to deploy are is that both Watada and the guy in the article were/are making public statements about their opinions about the (il)legality of our actions in Iraq.

Comment

Latest update in the case - Judge rules Lt. Watada can not be prosecuted again for refusal to deploy.

Source

Comment

Working...
                                X