Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quiz: Hawaii company names inspired by songs and movies

Originally posted by Creative-1
    This is the second or third time Kimo55 has slammed me for minor errors in my posts.

It's really diminished my enthusiasm for participating here at Hawaii Threads.

I thought I was doing something positive for the group and instead, I get criticized for using "is" instead of "are."

I'd prefer a gentle reminder, if I'm in error. These aren't felonies....

Bob
    Bob:
    Don't get yer panties in a wad! Kimo likes to play rough but he's all heart and just wants you to be damn good at what you get paid for. If Kimo's paying attention, you've engaged one of our toughest critics on the list. He's a crack up. He's a pussy cat. Don't pout! Bite back! He loves to be ENGAGED!

Which reminds me of one of my favorite lines in one of my favorite movies:

"BOB! IT'S TIME TO ENGAGE!"
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

This is the second or third time Kimo55 has slammed me for minor errors in my posts.

It's really diminished my enthusiasm for participating here at Hawaii Threads.

I thought I was doing something positive for the group and instead, I get criticized for using "is" instead of "are."

I'd prefer a gentle reminder, if I'm in error. These aren't felonies....

Bob
      Bob:
      Don't get yer panties in a wad! Kimo likes to play rough but he's all heart and just wants you to be damn good at what you get paid for. If Kimo's paying attention, you've engaged one of our toughest critics on the list. He's a crack up. He's a pussy cat. Don't pout! Bite back! He loves to be ENGAGED!

Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
        Bob:

wo! a double submission! how did that happen? anyway, Bob, I'm a writer, too, and man, you have to take care around these parts as there are a lot of readers!! hahahahaha.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

only the third?! either I am slackin, or yer not readin all my posts!

Comment

visualise a multitude of green chiklets cascading down upon lavagal.
            Last edited by kimo55; February 26, 2006, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Bob, ... you have to take care around these parts as there are a lot of readers!! hahahahaha.
              Bobster would rather turn red than be read.

Comment

This is a tough audience!
                Bob, you should be so lucky to get a tough audience. When my book(s) come out, I want you to read them, And lock and load. and empty both barrels.
                and I will be sittin here sayin; "bring it, bitch!"
                auwe, that hurts so good.
                and we'll all be the better for the excercise, doncha know.

(and c'mon, ya know I say this in all affection and admiration for your undertakings and efforts...)
                Last edited by kimo55; February 26, 2006, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55

and we'll all be the better for the excercise, doncha know.
                  (eh Kimo, only one "c" in exercise)

Arirang Korean Barbecue restaurant in Hilo (Korean love song)

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    visualise a multitude of green chiklets cascading down upon lavagal.
                    I feel the love!
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

wo! a double submission! how did that happen? anyway, Bob, I'm a writer, too, and man, you have to take care around these parts as there are a lot of readers!! hahahahaha.
                      Two for the price of one! It's your lucky day, lavagal!

HawaiiThreads is what it is...an online forum for talking story. IMNSHO, professional writers should not be held to the same standards here as they are for their paychecks. My pet peeve is seeing 'that' used instead of 'who'...Do you know Dick and Jane that live down the street? Wrong!!! But, ya know what? So what! I would never, ever think to correct that person here. HT is a place we should be able to just chat without feeling the need to drag out good ol' Bill Strunk or Merium Webster for feer's of comitting a speling or gramattical airer's. Tolerance rock's!

Bob, your one of the realy fun and intresting conttributtor's hear at HT and you desserve too get as much fun out've it as you poot in to it. Have you accquaitted yerself with the 'ignore' feechur of HT yet? If not, chek it out!

Comment

Ok, we can all hold hands now and sing Kumbaya.

There are still 20 companies left to guess.

How about the North Shore place whoze name is loosely based on a 1960 Marty Robbins song?

Or a florist whoze name is the same as a 1937 song by Harry Owens, which won an Academy Award in the movie "Waikiki Wedding")

Or a Maui place immortalized in a 1964 Paul Weston song.

Comment

How about the North Shore place whoze name is loosely based on a 1960 Marty Robbins song?
                          Humm El Paso, Oahu?

Comment

.....Rosie's Cantina!

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
                              .....Rosie's Cantina!

Egggsalent, South Kona.

Bob Lee Jr (one of the L's in L&L Drive-Inn) said he took the name of his North Shore place from the song El Paso -

Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
                              I fell in love with a Mexican girl
                              Nighttime would find me in Rosa's Cantina
                              Music would play and Felina would whirl

Lee modified the name of his place to Rosie's.

So here's what we've to so far:

A House Without A Key
                              Arirang Korean restaurant
                              Bali Hai
                              Brew Moon
                              Cheeseburger in Paradise
                              Cinnamon Girl
                              Dew Drop Inn
                              Elephant Walk
                              La Bamba
                              Rosie's Cantina
                              Ruby Tuesday
                              Shogun Restaurant

Here are a couple more clues:

A Don Ho song about a sailing condition led to this store's name at Ala Moana, Kahala, and Beverly Hills.

A restaurant's name came from a movie that was on TV last night.

A 1942 Bing Crosby/Fred Astaire movie where they fall for the same woman, and sparks fly - as do their feet. A hotel chain took the movie's name. As an aside, Irving Berlin's "White Christmas" was introduced in this film.

Comment

A 1942 Bing Crosby/Fred Astaire movie where they fall for the same woman, and sparks fly - as do their feet. A hotel chain took the movie's name. As an aside, Irving Berlin's "White Christmas" was introduced in this film.
                                Holiday Inn, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X