Quiz: Hawaii company names inspired by songs and movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quiz: Hawaii company names inspired by songs and movies

Nooo. That was named after a Dead Kennedys song.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      Nooo. That was named after a Dead Kennedys song.
      Nonsense - Irving Berlin never went to Cambodia (at least, that was what Henry Kissinger told me.)

Comment

re; Kissinger's utterances; believe half of whatcha see and none of what ya hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1
          Or a florist whoze name is the same as a 1937 song by Harry Owens, which won an Academy Award in the movie "Waikiki Wedding")
          Sweet Leilani Florist

Comment

Sole Mio (an Italian song and an optical place at Ala Moana)

Rumours (loved that song!)

Comment

This is the second or third time Kimo55 has slammed me for minor errors in my posts.
              You could return the favor. Kimo's a notoriously sloppy typist/writer with little or no room to criticize you or anyone else. He misspells everything —and justifies it by calling it "pidgin."

heee!

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy
                Sole Mio (an Italian song and an optical place at Ala Moana)

Rumours (loved that song!)

"O Sole Mio" is a popular song of Naples. The song was composed in 1898 by Eduardo di Capua and became known all over the world when Enrico Caruso sang the song as part of his repertoire.

Rumours - are you thinking of the album by Fleetwood Mac? I don't know of a song with that name, although there very well may be.

Sweet Leilani was a 1937 song by Harry Owens, which won an Academy Award in the movie "Waikiki Wedding")

Comment

"O Sole Mio" is a popular song of Naples. The song was composed in 1898 by Eduardo di Capua and became known all over the world when Enrico Caruso sang the song as part of his repertoire.

Rumours - are you thinking of the album by Fleetwood Mac? I don't know of a song with that name, although there very well may be.

Sweet Leilani was a 1937 song by Harry Owens, which won an Academy Award in the movie "Waikiki Wedding")
                  Ooopss...meant to say....Rumours....love that album!

Any more hints for us?

Comment

We've gotten about 15 companies so far:

A House Without A Key
                    Arirang Korean restaurant
                    Bali Hai
                    Brew Moon
                    Cheeseburger in Paradise
                    Cinnamon Girl
                    Dew Drop Inn
                    Elephant Walk
                    Holiday Inn
                    La Bamba
                    Rosie's Cantina
                    Ruby Tuesday
                    Shogun Restaurant
                    Sole Mio
                    Sweet Leilani

New Clues:

A store, once at Ward Warehouse, was named for a 1985 Sidney Pollack film that won seven Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director. Meryl Streep and Robert Redford starred.

A 1962 Jack Lemmon movie about a bachelor who didn't want to settle down gave this chain its name. They had locations in Kahala, Ward Center and Aikahi.

Outstanding clues:
                    A Maui place immortalized in a 1964 Paul Weston song.

A Don Ho song about a sailing condition led to this store's name at Ala Moana, Kahala, and Beverly Hills.

A restaurant's name came from a movie that was on TV Sunday night.

Comment

A store, once at Ward Warehouse, was named for a 1985 Sidney Pollack film that won seven Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director. Meryl Streep and Robert Redford starred.

Out of Africa?

A 1962 Jack Lemmon movie about a bachelor who didn't want to settle down gave this chain its name. They had locations in Kahala, Ward Center and Aikahi.

Yum Yum Tree?

A Don Ho song about a sailing condition led to this store's name at Ala Moana, Kahala, and Beverly Hills.

Following Sea?
                      Early morning brain strain.

Comment

Welcome to HT Creative-1. I think you should change your HT name to CRE*IVE-1. And no the asterik wasn't a mistake if you notice everything is in upper case and the "*" sign is uppercase for the number "8" which phonically represents the AT in creATive. Now that's creative! Kinda like my license plate: WH_ _ LS...buy a vowel!

Practically everyone here has been slammed by each other but we're still friends...um...yeah. But like Lava Gal indicated, Kimo can be a real piece of Ohia splinter in da Okole or your best honing tool when it comes to accuracy.

But getting back OT here, how about Sunset Grill?
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hey Cre*tive! I might have one!!!

A store at Ala Moana sports the same name as a soggy 1984 movie!
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Speaking of Ala Moana Shopping Center, how about Bubba Gumps!
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                              Hey Cre*tive! I might have one!!!

A store at Ala Moana sports the same name as a soggy 1984 movie!
                              OK, to answer myself "Splash!" (Splash Hawaii)
                              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                                Welcome to HT Creative-1. I think you should change your HT name to CRE*IVE-1. And no the asterik wasn't a mistake if you notice everything is in upper case and the "*" sign is uppercase for the number "8" which phonically represents the AT in creATive. Now that's creative! Kinda like my license plate: WH_ _ LS...buy a vowel!

Practically everyone here has been slammed by each other but we're still friends...um...yeah. But like Lava Gal indicated, Kimo can be a real piece of Ohia splinter in da Okole or your best honing tool when it comes to accuracy.

But getting back OT here, how about Sunset Grill?

Thanks for the feedback, Craig. Creative-1 is my company name. There used to be three of us (and we argued about which of us was the creative one).

I've thought of getting the vanity licence plate CR8V1...

But back to the quiz...I didn't know until you nominated it, that there was a Sunset Grill movie (in 1993, according to the Internet Movie Database).

Splash was a 1984 movie in which Tom Hanks fell for Mermaid Darly Hannah. Thanks for that, Lavagirl.

The 1985 Sidney Pollack film that won seven Oscars was Out of Africa.

The Jack Lemmon movie about a guy who didn't want to settle down likened bachelorhood to living Under The Yum Yum Tree.

Pam Ross, who owned Following Sea said a Kalapana song with that name inspired her store's name. Don Ho sang it first, I believe.

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. was on TV Sunday night. Another Tom Hanks movie.

Here's the updated list of correct answers:
                                A House Without A Key
                                Arirang Korean restaurant
                                Bali Hai
                                Brew Moon
                                Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
                                Cheeseburger in Paradise
                                Cinnamon Girl
                                Dew Drop Inn
                                Elephant Walk
                                Following Sea
                                Holiday Inn
                                La Bamba
                                Out of Africa
                                Rosie's Cantina
                                Ruby Tuesday
                                Shogun Restaurant
                                Sole Mio
                                Splash Hawaii
                                Sunset Grill
                                Sweet Leilani
                                Yum Yum Tree

That's 21! (Did I miss any already mentioned??)

Still looking for a Maui place immortalized in a 1964 Paul Weston song.

How about a 1959-63 private detective TV series with Connie Stevens (playing Cricket), Poncie Ponce, Doug Mossman and Troy Donahue? Dr. John Corboy added a word and opened branches on every island.

No one's mentioned a King Street restaurant, now gone, named the same as a 1937 song later sung by a guy with shakey knees.

Also, a rental place with the name of a 1940 Glen Miller song.

A 1929 song by Irving Berlin that has the lyrics: Dressed up like a million-dollar trooper, Tryin' hard to look like Gary Cooper.

Have fun with CRE*IVE-1
                                (my new slogan)
                                Last edited by Creative-1; February 28, 2006, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X