Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quiz: Hawaii company names inspired by songs and movies

Originally posted by Creative-1
    A 1929 song by Irving Berlin that has the lyrics: Dressed up like a million-dollar trooper, Tryin' hard to look like Gary Cooper.
    Puttin on THE RITZ

Comment

How about a 1959-63 private detective TV series with Connie Stevens (playing Cricket), Poncie Ponce, Doug Mossman and Troy Donahue? Dr. John Corboy added a word and opened branches on every island.

Hawaiian eye center
      kapiolani

A 1929 song by Irving Berlin that has the lyrics: Dressed up like a million-dollar trooper, Tryin' hard to look like Gary Cooper. Sooper dooper!

ritz camera
      Ritz-Carlton Kapalua

Comment

Also, a rental place with the name of a 1940 Glen Miller song.

That would be Tuxedo Junction.

Comment

Movie with Clint Eastwood - Pink Cadillac - club located in Waikiki

TV Movie - Scruples - nightclub with same name

Comment

[...]
            Brew Moon
            [...]
            Yum Yum Tree

That's 21! (Did I miss any already mentioned??)[...]
            Nope...but I sure did! I'm so bad at quizes and I actually have close ties to this movie and song. Oh wait..."Blue Moon"..."The Moon is Blue". Not the same. Why I didn't think of 'Under the Yum Yum Tree', I'll never know! Probably 'cuz I'm so lousy at quizes!

Comment

re: Holiday Inn

Originally posted by kimo55
              Nooo. That was named after a Dead Kennedys song.
              There was also an Elton John song with the same title... on the album Madman Across the Water from 1971.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

"Sunset Grill" was also the name of a hit single recorded by Don Henley of the Eagles.
                "Rumors" was also a title to a top 40 dance hit recorded by the group Club Nouveau.
                "Puttin on the Ritz" was also remade into a dance hit by some guy named Taco in 1983.
                "Pink Cadillac" was also the name of song recorded by Bruce Springsteen in 1984 which originally appeared on the B-side of his hit single "Dancing in the Dark."
                Last edited by mel; February 28, 2006, 11:02 PM.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy
                  Movie with Clint Eastwood - Pink Cadillac - club located in Waikiki

TV Movie - Scruples - nightclub with same name

Very good, Alohacandy. I had not thought of Scruples, a 1981 TV program and 1989 book by Judith Krantz.

Pink Cadillac was first recorded on 1952 by Paul Bascomb; and later by many others, including Natalie Cole, Bette Midler, and Bruce Springsteen; It was also a 1989 Clint Eastwood movie.

Tuxedo Junction was the name of a 1940 Glenn Miller song.

The 1959-63 private detective TV series with Connie Stevens (playing Cricket), Poncie Ponce, Doug Mossman and Troy Donahue was called Hawaiian Eye.

Dr. John Corboy added Center and opened branches on every island.

A 1929 song by Irving Berlin that has the lyrics:

Dressed up like a million-dollar trooper,
                  Tryin' hard to look like Gary Cooper. Sooper dooper!
                  If you're blue and you don't know
                  where to go to why don't you go
                  where fashion sits
                  Puttin' on the Ritz

The name came from Cesar Ritz, who opened the first Ritz hotel in Paris in 1898.

Updated clues:

The Maui place immortalized in a 1964 Paul Weston song is in Hana.

The restaurant on King Street was named for a 1937 song and a movie filmed partly on Kauai starring a guy with shakey knees. In the first part of the film, he came to Oahu, lived with a houseboy at (a deserted) Hanauma Bay, and everyone thought he was a genius when he came up with the idea of offering van tours to tourists.

There's also a drink with this name.

New clues:

Hawaii's leading cosmetics company carries the name of 1924 film and a 1930 song.

A Kailua store has the name of a 1928 Ray Meany song that combined astronomy and dance.

How about the chain on several islands named for a 1935 song by McDiarmid & Noble? A woman from a Girls' Glee Club at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel Monarch Room in 1937 danced and sang the song, despite the composer's concern that it was too low-brow for the room. The crowd loved it and called her back for five encores.

Bonus points if you can conjure up the name of the Monarch Room from its 1927 opening, until it was renovated after WW II.
                  Last edited by Creative-1; February 28, 2006, 11:12 PM.

Comment

"Hasegawa General Store"! I finally get one.

I have a 45 of this song issued on Capitol Records by someone named Pua Alameida.
                    Last edited by mel; February 28, 2006, 11:23 PM.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Under a Hula Moon - Kailua store inspired by the song "Under the Hula Moon"

Blue Hawaii Surf - inspired by an Elvis Presley movie "Blue Hawaii"?

Comment

How about the chain on several islands named for a 1935 song by McDiarmid & Noble? A woman from a Girls' Glee Club at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel Monarch Room in 1937 danced and sang the song, despite the composer's concern that it was too low-brow for the room. The crowd loved it and called her back for five encores.
                        Song: "Hilo Hattie Does the Hilo Hop"
                        Store: Hilo Hatties

Comment

Bonus points if you can conjure up the name of the Monarch Room from its 1927 opening, until it was renovated after WW II.
                          The Persian Room.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                            The Persian Room.

Very good, Lurkah. What is today the Monarch Room was once called the Persian Room at the Royal Hawaiian. The architecture was inspired by Rudolph Valentino - the only actor to launch an architectural style. City Hall is also built in that Spanish-Moorish style.

In 1935, Don McDiarmid wrote Hilo Hattie Does the Hula Hop. McDiarmid thought it was a low-brow, novelty song about a sexy girl and not up to the Royal Hawaiian's standards.

Two years later, Clara Inter, a school teacher and member of Louise Akeo's Royal Hawaiian Girls' Glee Club found the song and performed it on a trip to Canada with the glee club.

In the summer of 1937, Clara Inter prevailed on McDiarmid to perform this song in the Monarch Room of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. To his surprise, the audience loved it and called her back for five encores.

Clara became so closely indentified with the song, that she adopted the title as her legal name.

Alohacandy is right: Under a Hula Moon is a Kailua store inspired by the song "Hula Moon"

The guy with shakey legs was Elvis Presley, and the movie was "Blue Hawaii"

Mel is correct about the Hasegawa General Store.

That makes 31. The only one I think we haven't gotten is Hawaii's leading cosmetics company. It carries the name of 1924 film and a 1930 song. Tao Miller is the 33 yo owner.

Here's the chorus:
                            My heart is sad and lonely
                            For you I cry
                            For you, dear, only
                            I tell you I mean it
                            Iā€™m all for you
                            "_____ _____ _____"

Like many old songs, few remember it, but the title has become an icon.

Here's the updated list of correct answers:
                            A House Without A Key
                            Arirang Korean restaurant
                            Bali Hai
                            Blue Hawaii
                            Brew Moon
                            Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
                            Cheeseburger in Paradise
                            Cinnamon Girl
                            Dew Drop Inn
                            Elephant Walk
                            Following Sea
                            Hasegawa General Store
                            Hawaiian Eye Center
                            Hilo Hattie
                            Holiday Inn
                            Hula Moon
                            La Bamba
                            Out of Africa
                            Pink Cadillac
                            The Ritz
                            Rosie's Cantina
                            Ruby Tuesday
                            Rumours
                            Scruples
                            Shogun Restaurant
                            Sole Mio
                            Splash Hawaii
                            Sunset Grill
                            Sweet Leilani
                            Tuxedo Junction
                            Yum Yum Tree

Any others???

Comment

Song by Billie Holiday and also a cosmetic company..."Body and Soul"

Comment

Mexican song about a cockroach.....and name of a Honolulu restaurant...."La Cucaracha"

Comment

Working...
                                X