Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Statehood Day Holiday

Originally posted by Jewlipino
    Ouch Kamuelakea..... Maybe that comparison to "Hawaiians erwache!" isn't so inappropriate after all.
    Jewlipino
    You are just as Crazy as Paul!

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    Oh crap the shit hit the fan now...take cover everyone!
    I coming out of sedation medication. I will be back to address this with my full brain capacities.

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; August 23, 2006, 06:17 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I was suggesting to the individual(s) who were DEFENDING the innocent murder of men, women and children (kind of Nazi like), that if they are going to defend this type of behavior, may THEY be the first to suffer from their next attack.

Some historical leaders are revered for their brutality in many cultures throughout the world. Kamehameha, Gengis Khan, Caesar, and many others have killed in the name of righteous reasons. It's all still killing.

Kam, I think I have heard you bark when Kamehameha is villified for obvious brutal behaviors.

Just more cognitive dissonance.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
        Kam, I think I have heard you bark when Kamehameha is villified for obvious brutal behaviors.

Just more cognitive dissonance.
        Site it. I never defended Kamehameha's war crimes. I only defend the right of the population with a unique culture, unique values, unique language, unique physical characteristics, unique geography to self determination. Kamehameha's actions do not negate the right of the rest of the planet Earths Hawaiians to control their own destiny.

Might makes right is the law of the land, but America is based upon higher principles.
        Last edited by kamuelakea; August 23, 2006, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
          The overthrow, bayonet constitution, and all that, is pretty obviously wrong, at least by the high standards the US claims to adhere to. So let's assume we want to make things right and give the rule back to the rightful parties. Who is that exactly, at this point? Who was it even back then, when the actions took place?
          That is the question smart people ask. That is the queston Timkona should be asking. Not if but who?

Depends who you ask. In my opinion, Hawaiian means 100% Hawaiian. There might be 1000 of them left. Some might argue to dilute that, so fine, lets say 50% Hawaiian.

Anyone less than 50% Hawaiian has more non-Hawaiian ancestors than Hawaiian (including me), so to me they don't count.

That's where the anti-Sovereignty arguements should be directed if you ask me. Its WHO not If. That's the problem with the Akaka Bill. Anyone with one toenail drop is considered a Hawaiian. To me that doesn't serve the purpose of perpetuating Hawaiians.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
            If Hawai'i is to become its own democratic republic or whatnot separate from the US, then why is that any better than the situation you have now?

Depends what you mean by "better" and for who.

Hawaiians have lived happily for thousands of years in Hawaii prior to the "situation (we) have now". Not everyone needs the material things Americans need. Hawaiians lived their way for thousands of years. Americans have lived their way for only a few hundred. There is no question which culture PRODUCES more and CONSUMES more. But which culture is a "better situation"? I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
              That is the question smart people ask. That is the queston Timkona should be asking. Not if but who?

Depends who you ask. In my opinion, Hawaiian means 100% Hawaiian. There might be 1000 of them left. Some might argue to dilute that, so fine, lets say 50% Hawaiian.

Anyone less than 50% Hawaiian has more non-Hawaiian ancestors than Hawaiian (including me), so to me they don't count.

That's where the anti-Sovereignty arguements should be directed if you ask me. Its WHO not If. That's the problem with the Akaka Bill. Anyone with one toenail drop is considered a Hawaiian. To me that doesn't serve the purpose of perpetuating Hawaiians.
              You tell that to my 2 year old son who is 25% Hawaiian... he's going to kick you in the shin! (at least on my demand )
              Last edited by damontucker; August 23, 2006, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Linkmeister, where did you receive your education? I went to Hawaii public schools.

Are you kidding? You don't know what you're talking about. There is a little something called inflation. 365K today is not 365K in 1885. To use 365K in a discussion about the "controversial" high cost of the palace construction would be either misleading, inaccurate or just a lie.

If you don't agree with this, then put your money where your mouth is and sell me your home for what it cost in, ohhhhh, lets say 1929. Bet you wouldn't do it because you really do understand inflation more than you realize.
                The amount of money required in 1885 was $365K, not the $42M you're claiming would have to have come from taxes.

The inflation-adjusted amount you talk about is completely irrelevant to the source of funds needed at the time of construction.
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                  The amount of money required in 1885 was $365K, not the $42M you're claiming would have to have come from taxes.

The inflation-adjusted amount you talk about is completely irrelevant to the source of funds needed at the time of construction.

You are a fool. Can I buy your home at 1885 prices? Just let me know.

Comment

Angry aren't we? OK deep breath everyone ('specially you Kamuelakea).... what were we talking about again?

Jewlipino

Comment

Angry aren't we? OK deep breath everyone ('specially you Kamuelakea).... what were we talking about again?

Jewlipino
                      Nah, I'm not mad. I'm amused. Our friend K raised the question as follows:
                      Just asking, where did "government funds" (especially big money) come from in the 1880s if not the sale of land?

But then throws in bafflegab about inflation adjustments to bring the cost up to today. It's completely irrelevant to his (her?) question: What was the source of the funds in 1885?
                      Last edited by Linkmeister; August 23, 2006, 09:03 PM.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                        Here's how I keep 'em straight --- imply is outward, infer is inward. I can imply something out towards another person, or they can imply something out towards me. But as to how I read the message internally, that's when I infer something from what they said (or they can infer from what I said.)

Since I am picking up a signal INternally, I am INferring.

Okay, it's a weird mnemonic --- but if it helps...

Cool - thank you!
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Jewlpino, quit crying about the Holocaust everytime you get in a debate. It cheapens the memory of your ancestors and the historical importance of the sad chapter in human history.

Calling for the rightful independence of a Hawaiian Nation for Hawaiian people is a far cry from calling for mass murder. How you make that quantum leap, I don't know.
                          Doesn't change the fact that your reasoning is frighteningly similar. People move, demographics change, Hawaii's location at the center of the Pacific Ocean made it a natural center for cultural exchange and colonization. Given the history of the past 20 years it is painfully apparent that focus on the issue of land has impeded attempts by Hawaiian Nationalists to have their, sometimes, very reasonable requests met. The feudal-tenurial system that Queen Ka'ahumanu and her party subverted followed the same course (very abbreviated tho) that led feudal England to land ownership as we know it today. It is fair to say that it is the Hawaiians themselves that initiated the change since they were the only ones in a position to do so. In essence the modern Hawaiian Nationalists are second-guessing the decisions made by their forebears, and to justify their questioning philosophies that have undercurrents of racism are brought to bear. I ask you this, Kamuelakea, "If a person of caucasian descent, lived as a traditional Hawaiian in EVERY way, lived in the State of Hawaii, had been born in Hawaii, was raised in Hawaiian ways, and spoke Hawaiian, would you distinguish between them and a Hawaiian of the blood?"

Jewlipino
                          Last edited by Jewlipino; August 24, 2006, 12:16 AM. Reason: bad grammar

Comment

It is fair to say that it is the Hawaiians themselves that initiated the change since they were the only ones in a position to do so. In essence the modern Hawaiian Nationalists are second-guessing the decisions made by their forebears, and to justify their questioning philosophies that have undercurrents of racism are brought to bear. I ask you this, Kamuelakea, "If a person of caucasian descent, lived as a traditional Hawaiian in EVERY way, lived in the State of Hawaii, had been born in Hawaii, was raised in Hawaiian ways, and spoke Hawaiian, would you distinguish between them and a Hawaiian of the blood?"
                            Would a caucasian born and raised in Japan and who can write kanji be considered Japanese? Would a black man born and raised in Ireland be considered Irish? Would a South Korean born and raised in captivity in North Korea and who speaks Korean be considered North Korean? Would a Bosnian born and raised in Serbia be considered Serbian?

Yet another example of Jewlipino ignorance. I didn’t even address your Nationalist point, but I’m sure someone will. Ask a stupid question ...
                            Last edited by TuNnL; August 24, 2006, 04:18 AM. Reason: one point at a time

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

I ask you this, Kamuelakea, "If a person of caucasian descent, lived as a traditional Hawaiian in EVERY way, lived in the State of Hawaii, had been born in Hawaii, was raised in Hawaiian ways, and spoke Hawaiian, would you distinguish between them and a Hawaiian of the blood?"
                              You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway.

YES.

Donkey.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                                Would a black man born and raised in Ireland be considered Irish?

As a matter of Fact, yes. Phil Lynott (R.I.P) from Thin Lizzy was Black / Irish. And he was very proud of his Irish heritage.
                                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                                X