Statehood Day Holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Statehood Day Holiday

I honestly believe all Hawaiians should get some kind of declaration and constitution ready for use when that fateful day comes because I believe there will be more bickering when it happens.

I think if the United States of America can see that Hawaii is in fact ready for self-rule, the process will take on a life of it's own. But if there's a lot of in-house bickering as to whom will take the throne, nothing will move forward and when sovereignty is handed back to the Hawaiians on a silver platter, that "Crab in the bucket" mentality will prevail and the opportunity will be lost forever.

Like I've been saying for decades: Hawaiians, get your act together. Form political civic and commerce groups. Get your people in government offices to plant the seed of change from within the political walls that oppress you.

Take charge of the commercial, industrial, agricultural and retail sectors so when it happens you have an economic engine to run your government.

In otherwords take over all the seats of power that keep you from being independent. When the US sees that all power sectors have been filled by Hawaiians, then it's a simpler task of handing over control because you did the work for self-rule, not some act of Congress.

It won't happen? Of course it won't if nothing is done. Why do you think the Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, Korean and virtually all other races that immigrated here have taken over...because they formed networks and sat in those power seats that gave them control. Be united and regain the power and prestige of a once great and respectful monarchy or divide and fail.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
      Ah, but love is blind.
      True, Tim, very true. And let's hope that love continues to be stronger than any measurement of blood quantum.

Comment

Probably a bad time and place to bring it up, but anyone wanna join my militia and invade ni'ihau?
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
          Hitler thought that blood quantum and race were excellent ways to define and separate people. Race was used as the defining criteria during 400 years of slavery also. Even today, in other places besides Hawaii, race is being used as a wedge between the people, often resulting in bloody conflict. History shows clearly that race is not a good criteria for any decision making.

Everytime you guyz run out of ammo, you go to Hitler. I learned that one freshman year of college (yes UH). You can do better than that with your mainland edgumakation Timkona.

Why are you so intolerant. Intolerant of people who don't want to live the way you do. Most of the world doesn't want to marry out of their ethnicity and make mixed race babies. MOST OF THE WORLD. That doesn't make them Nazi's.

Funny how your view that the world should just become one big melted pot of mixed asian, caucasian, black, etc single race planet. Personally, I think the world would be a more boring place.

So you should stop being so intolerant of people who want to retain their ethnic identity and maintain a certain level of diversity in this world. They don't want to kill you (like you keep implying), they just don't want to be like you.

As always, when your type thinks only one race should be the way of the world they expect everyone to follow. Now when Timkona decides that the whole world must amalgamate into one uniform new master race, we should all follow again. And if we don't, we're Nazis.

Hah.
          Last edited by kamuelakea; August 24, 2006, 05:52 PM.

Comment

My question stands, what would a sovereign Hawaii look like? Who would be Hawaiian? What happens to all those not Hawaiian? Jewlipino and his/her cohorts don't seem very enthusiastic about the idea, that doesn't mean they're right though. I've watched this issue grow, but it's never seemed to go in one particular direction. Kamuelakea, Sinjin, & company, what is your vision for Hawaii?

Comment

Originally posted by Deep Thought
              My question stands, what would a sovereign Hawaii look like? Who would be Hawaiian? What happens to all those not Hawaiian? Jewlipino and his/her cohorts don't seem very enthusiastic about the idea, that doesn't mean they're right though. I've watched this issue grow, but it's never seemed to go in one particular direction. Kamuelakea, Sinjin, & company, what is your vision for Hawaii?
              They don't know Deep, that's why no one's saying anything. I used to believe that Hawaiians needed sovereignty or some form of it, but all they do is bicker about whose fault it was and who gets to sit on the throne when they throw all the haoles out.

Jewlipino

Comment

That's what the sovereignty people don't seem to understand...that as long as they stay fractured and bicker among themselves, the likelihood of their ever being able to have their own government is nil. And that's what the non-kanaka maoli who have vested interests in land ownership, businesses, etc. in Hawai'i are counting on. There are lots of non-kanaka maolis who are on the side of the sovereignty movement, but in some ways they are being told the kanaka maoli don't need their help, which is sad.

A journey of a mile is completed in approximately 5,280 steps. The first step is ho'oponopono among the different groups and then an agreement to work for the good of all...put the "WE" (as in one unified movement) back into this and get rid of the "we" (what's good for only my particular group).

I'm not sure an absolute monarchy is practical, but having a constitutional monarchy (a government where a King/Queen is an official head of state but shares the powers with an elected Prime Minister and Parliament) might actually work.

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; August 24, 2006, 03:49 PM.
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Miulang sez:
                  I'm not sure an absolute monarchy is practical, but having a constitutional monarchy (a government where a King/Queen is an official head of state but shares the powers with an elected Prime Minister and Parliament) might actually work.
                  Ah, but who gets to vote?
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                    Miulang sez:

Ah, but who gets to vote?
                    The kanaka maoli (don't know about the blood quantums though, because that's a US designation) and non kanaka maoli (meaning the descendants of the missionary families and the few Asian families that arrived in Hawai'i prior to 1897) who could prove lineage back to 1897 in Hawaii and who still lived in Hawaii would get to vote. Every other American citizen and others from other countries would be required to have visas and carry a passport. That way the kanaka maoli government could determine immigration quotas and criteria for legal residency. I know they couldn't totally prevent non kanaka maoli from becoming legal residents, because Hawai'i cannot just overnight go back to being an agricultural society. It will still need a skilled workforce in order to create an economy that can sustain the people.

The government would also not deprive current land owners of their land, but all State-owned land would revert to the kanaka maoli government and it would be responsible for stewardship of the land and its resources (malama 'aina). That way, the government could strictly manage future growth.

The only sticky part is how much Hawaiian blood would you be required to have...I think there are only something like 1,000 pure blooded kanaka maoli left.

There's a whole generation of highly educated kanaka maoli who are now ready and willing to participate in creating this vision. I think it's high time to let them have their chance to see if they can create a viable government that will be fair and just to all people who live under their rule.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Just thought of something interesting. If you determine Hawaiian-ness via blood quantum then the area with the highest concentration is Ni'ihau. It would be the Kingdom of Niihau

Comment

Originally posted by Jewlipino
                        They don't know Deep, that's why no one's saying anything. I used to believe that Hawaiians needed sovereignty or some form of it, but all they do is bicker about whose fault it was and who gets to sit on the throne when they throw all the haoles out.

Jewlipino
                        Jewlipino - You are so badly mis-informed that its almost laughable!

Miulang, Not all "Sovereignty" folks are fighting. There are many who are coming together, planning the nation - both by visualizing what it would actually look like and then starting to put things in place to follow up on the vision. One major thing being done right now is the push to register Hawaiians to vote. Lets face it - you can't take over anything from the outside - you have to be in a position of power to do that.

It's hard to see whats really going on, quietly, when you aren't present. Please, come home when you can & help out. You have so much wisdom and experience to share.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808

It's hard to see whats really going on, quietly, when you aren't present. Please, come home when you can & help out. You have so much wisdom and experience to share.
                          Oh, believe me, when I return to the 'aina for good, I know where one of my priorities will be. In the meantime, I get lots of information from Uncle Williama who is very very close to the pulse of the kanaka maoli movement in Hawai'i. Everytime I see him, I talk story and listen to what he's heard via the coconut wireless from home. And I'm especially interested now to know that OHA has set as its main goal to put itself out of business.

Miulang

Comment

Just thought of something interesting. If you determine Hawaiian-ness via blood quantum then the area with the highest concentration is Ni'ihau. It would be the Kingdom of Niihau
                            Whack Whacks!!!!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Should just call up the Ni'ihauans and turn over Hawaiian Homelands and all the rest of the funding and let them decide what to do with it. It's probably the largest concentration of 100% Hawaiians in the world. Then all the sovereignty groups can argue with Ni'ihau instead of the State.

Jewlipino

Comment

Should just call up the Ni'ihauans and turn over Hawaiian Homelands and all the rest of the funding and let them decide what to do with it. It's probably the largest concentration of 100% Hawaiians in the world. Then all the sovereignty groups can argue with Ni'ihau instead of the State.

Jewlipino
                                That's not very fair. Miulang's suggestion about descent from a subject of the kingdom at the time of the overthrow seems better. Would that entitle descendants of members of the committee, the ones who were subjects, to benefits and a say as well?

Comment

Working...
                                X