Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Statehood Day Holiday

Originally posted by anapuni808
    Said "Annexation" treaty was then pulled from congress by President Cleveland and was not to be re-submitted.
    Aha. And this is why we have a McKinley High School in Honolulu, not a Cleveland High School.

Comment

Thank you so much, Anapuni, for your learn-ed answer!
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
        The majority of voters voted FOR Statehood....right?

Maybe the holiday should be called "Your Grandparents Were Idiots Day"

I wonder if the protesters go home and scream at Grandma and Grandpa because them old folks were so stupid in 1959?? I bet not.
        The majority of the native Hawaiian population were dead from Western disease, poverty and displacement by 1959, timkona. So are you saying those kupuna were idiots because they didn’t live long enough? You pretend to be a kama‘aina and yet you still post your ignorant, racist cr*p on these boards. Maybe you need to retake Hawaiian history 101.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
          Let's see.....the decision to become a State was a VOTE by the people....right??
          And the majority of voters voted FOR Statehood....right?

Maybe the holiday should be called "Your Grandparents Were Idiots Day"

I wonder if the protesters go home and scream at Grandma and Grandpa because them old folks were so stupid in 1959?? I bet not.

Wrong again. This should sink in if I keep repeating it right?

Statehood was voted upon by Japanese immigrants and their children, Chinese immigrants and their children, filipino immigrants and their children and few Haoles.

Statehood was not voted upon by the majority of Hawaiians.

Comment

I agree with Sam Slom on many fiscal issues. But he was a rude, inconsiderate baffoon for wanting to hold a statehood day celebration at Iolani Palace. He was, typical Haole, looking for a fight.

I'm all for celebrating Hawaii Statehood for the majoity of Hawaii's residents who are very happy with Statehood. But to use Iolani Palace as the staging ground is offensive. He could have used the State Capitol or just a beautiful area like Ala Moana Park for a picnic. He could have had flags, hot dogs and apple pie along with Kalani Band playing patriotic tunes. Instead he chose Iolani palace so say F#&@ Y$@ Hawaiians. Thats unfortunate for anyone but especially for a Senator.

At least Kalani's Band leader was smart enough to recognize the mistake. Slom, typical Haole, wanted to argue and debate his way out of his.

Oh, and I hope Barbara Muramoto realizes how foolish she looked in her silly costume. Poor lady.
            Last edited by kamuelakea; August 19, 2006, 04:59 PM.

Comment

What happened to the Kalani kids was awful. My mom's a booster for them, and it really was an unpleasant experience for earnest band students who thought they were just showing up for another community event. The counter-demonstrators who harassed them were total asses, to be sure.

It was clear, though, that the band wasn't as familiar with Sam Slom's agenda as most folks are, and didn't know the context of what they were walking into. The man wanted to incite something, either to make a statement or to make himself a martyr, and he brought on several folks to get shouted down with him, just to have some heartstrings to yank on.

Slom apologized to the band director and kids, but he got exactly what he wanted. I don't expect they'll accept another invitation from that office.

A Statehood Day rally at, oh, gee, the State Capitol would have made perfect sense. A few yards away, he'd have all the flag waving patriots he wanted. But he wanted to stick his finger in the eye of those who don't see statehood as something to celebrate (or even acknowledge), and now wants to act indignant about the reception he got.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                Slom, typical Haole, wanted to argue and debate his way out of this.
                What kind of ignorant RACIST crap is THAT?!?
                Last edited by LikaNui; August 19, 2006, 09:31 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

My understanding is that the Palace was where the whole statehood ceremony took place to begin with, (since I think it was the residence of the Legislature at the time...) thus it seems to me appropriate that any subsequent celebrations of statehood be held there. The Palace has been the site of many historic events in Hawaii's history some famous and some infamous. We can't change the way the Statehood vote went and frankly I wouldn't want to. Yes the Hawaiian population was vastly reduced by the time of the Statehood vote, but that does not diminish the fact that (according to Wikipedia) 93% of voters voted in favor. The Hawaiian counter-argument seems to go (more than willing to accept corrections here) that, since the native Hawaiians had very little power and influence at the time of the vote the vote itself is under a cloud. What would the alternative have been? Do the Hawaiians propose that they should have received 20 votes for every 1 cast by a non-Hawaiian?! For that matter what about those non-hawaiians who held Hawaiian citizenship at the time of the overthrow? Should they have gotten extra votes too? Last time I checked the concept of 1 person 1 vote in elections and referendums is one of the fundamental principles of our democratic republic, and 93% is much, much, much more than a super-majority. It seems kind of silly to have sour grapes over a referendum that occurred 47-years ago. One of the things that makes the American Republic (notice I didn't say democracy.... that's really stretching facts) work is that when we lose an election it generally isn't thought appropriate to brood over the loss, or worse start a civil war simply because things didn't go the way we thought they should. Just remember, the last time a State tried to leave the Union the end result was the Civil War , we cannot change the fact that Hawaii was admitted to the Union and it is a shame that Hawaiian sovereignty activists cannot show fellow law abiding citizens the same respect toward their ceremonies and celebrations that they themselves receive from the majority of non-hawaiian Hawaii. Double-standards of behavior are no way to advance the cause.

Jewlipino

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                    Originally Posted by kamuelakea
                    Slom, typical Haole, wanted to argue and debate his way out of this.
                    Originally posted by LikaNui
                    if the shoe fits ...

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                      if the shoe fits ...
                      If the shoe fits, it's OK to be racist?

Must be another "Only in Hawaii" thing that some people seem so proud of.

"Well, if he was acting like what I, in my limited experience, think a (pick one: haole, nigger, spic, etc.) acts like, then it's OK to call him one!"

Not for me, your grey-and-pink poodle fascism! (One of my favorite lines ever. Tell me where that's from and I'll buy you dinner. But not if you Google it. And especially not if you're a racist ass-hat.)

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                        If the shoe fits, it's OK to be racist?

"Well, if he was acting like what I, in my limited experience, think a (pick one: haole, nigger, spic, etc.) acts like, then it's OK to call him one!"

Not for me, your grey-and-pink poodle fascism! (One of my favorite lines ever. Tell me where that's from and I'll buy you dinner. But not if you Google it. And especially not if you're a racist ass-hat.)
                        I don’t go for this Fuzzy Zoeller vs. Tiger Woods self-righteousness. Stereotypes are part of Hawai‘i culture. Maybe it’s an important rule on the mainland, where people get lynched for looking at someone of another ethnicity the wrong way.

Here in the Islands, making fun of others ethnicity has historically been part of getting along. Every big comedian from Frank DeLima to Mel Cabang to Andy Bumatai have done it and done it often. I’m offended that you would compare the term “haole” to “nigger” or “spic.” It’s not even in the same hemisphere. It literally means “foreigner,” and the term is often used with loving affection like, “Eh, wussup, haoleboy! Nevah see you long time, brah!”

If I was too “chang” to buy you lunch because I’m such a tightwad pake and you said that to my face, I would not have a problem with it. Obviously you were offended both by Kamuelakea’s comment, as well as my attempt to quell LikaNui’s criticism of it. But hey I think I'm perfectly qualified to identify age-old stereotypes that have rung true through the logic of my experience without being scolded by you. Welcome to typical Hawai‘i social interaction. It’s not about to change anytime soon.
                        Last edited by TuNnL; August 20, 2006, 02:31 AM. Reason: This one’s hot!

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                          You know what is also "Only In Hawaii"? Haoles who lose control and cry RACISM in Bold 36 Font letters when someone has the audacity to call someone a "typical Haole".

Call da cops. He called me "typical". Ooohhhhh, it hurts so bad. How could you insult me with such a racist, vulgar, inconsiderate, hurtful term like "typical".
                          Sam Slom was a "typical Haole" in his F-You-Hawaiians-Celebrate-Statehood-Day. He was arrogant, insensitive, loud and self righteous as he literally and figuratively wrapped himself in the American Flag in front of the site of the overthrow of the Hawaiian Government and the prison used to detain the legal Hawaiian Leader.

Maybe we should have a "Convert to Islam Day" and celebrate it at the former site of the World Trade Centers in New York City? How’s that for a good idea all you "typical" people out there? What's wrong with that. Its a great place to discuss Muslim vs. Western cultures isn't it?

Or how about a "Military Appreciation Day" over by that Kakaako Memorial to the Ehime Maru fishing boat that was sunk by a U.S. Submarine?

Or maybe, some Japanese can have a "Japanese Pride Day" on the Arizona Memorial?

Can't change history right? What has happened at WTC, Pearl Harbor or Ehime Maru happened. You can't go back and change it, so if we have those celebrations at those venues, all of you would be fine with it, right? Yeah right.

Some types can dish it out but they can't take it back.

TYPICAL!
                          Last edited by kamuelakea; August 20, 2006, 07:13 AM.

Comment

I'm much too lazy to check if Slom or Marumoto is up for re-election. But if they are ~ will it have any effect on the votes.

You bet your sweet bippy it will!!!

Hawai'i Voters get over things like dis!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally Posted by LikaNui
                              if the shoe fits ...
                              What the fu*k??? If you (or anyone else) can find even one single post of mine that has ever had a racist comment in it, I'll give you $5,000 in cash. Go ahead, punk. You think you can do it, I'll give the cash to Ryan to hold as a mediator/trustee.
                              Who the hell you think you are to say something like "if the shoe fits" to me?!?

Comment

I’m offended that you would compare the term “haole” to “nigger” or “spic.” It’s not even in the same hemisphere. It literally means “foreigner,” and the term is often used with loving affection like, “Eh, wussup, haoleboy! Nevah see you long time, brah!”
                                But the words under discussion are "Slom, typical Haole, wanted to argue and debate his way out of this." You call that "loving affection"? Hell no. It was a racist slap at all haoles.
                                Your attempt to twist it wasn't even close.

Obviously you were offended both by Kamuelakea’s comment, as well as my attempt to quell LikaNui’s criticism of it. But hey I think I'm perfectly qualified to identify age-old stereotypes
                                Gee, you'd be okay if you didn't have such a huge inferiority complex.

Comment

Working...
                                X