Thielen vs. Akaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thielen vs. Akaka

It's interesting (at least to me) that the Republicans selected a woman in her 70s. Apparently they're not buying Ed Case's "transition" idea any more than the voters did.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Excellent point, Link. I knew she had grandkids from her website, but my eyes just darted over the usual age disclosure in the articles. She's 73? She didn't strike me as being that old, and certainly gives the impression that she's got a lot of energy and a lot of good years ahead of her.

As I mentioned right off the bat, I expected the choice for Coffee's replacement to be a "next generation" candidate, someone of Djou's vintage, if not Djou. But only a day into my remedial Thielen education, I do think she's a good choice. Still stands a snowball's chance in hell, but no longer do I think she was picked because she's disposable. She probably represents a lot of what Lingle and the local G.O.P. want to emphasize about their party.

Comment

A huge problem with the Democratic Party (imho) is a loss of purpose. One faction feels that the party needs to re-establish a connection with its values of the past, while another says that those values are out-of-touch with today's America. The latter group is willing to sacrifice traditional foundations of the party in order to get elected at any cost, while the former prefers to "stay true" to those foundations - even if it means not being in positions of power.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          As I mentioned right off the bat, I expected the choice for Coffee's replacement to be a "next generation" candidate, someone of Djou's vintage, if not Djou. But only a day into my remedial Thielen education, I do think she's a good choice. Still stands a snowball's chance in hell, but no longer do I think she was picked because she's disposable. She probably represents a lot of what Lingle and the local G.O.P. want to emphasize about their party.
          Well, she's certainly not from the Mike Gabbard wing. I seem to remember (am I wrong?) that there was an attempt by the fundamentalists a while back to take over the local Republican party.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Excellent point, Link. I knew she had grandkids from her website, but my eyes just darted over the usual age disclosure in the articles. She's 73? She didn't strike me as being that old, and certainly gives the impression that she's got a lot of energy and a lot of good years ahead of her.
            Regarding her age, I heard it reported as 79, 76, 72 and now 73. Doesn't really matter as I got the impression of someone who is sharp with her wits about her. I did hear an odd bit which I haven't had a chance to confirm that the Akaka camp is saying no debates because she wasn't elected but appointed. What's up with that?

Comment

Whenever I listen to Akaka speak, it sounds real clear to me that having your wits about you does not matter in Hawaii Politics.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Remove the word "Hawaii" from your comment, Tim, and it still applies globally.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                  Well, she's certainly not from the Mike Gabbard wing. I seem to remember (am I wrong?) that there was an attempt by the fundamentalists a while back to take over the local Republican party.
                  I'm sorry to go off-topic here, but take it easy calling Gabbard a fundamentalist. "Fundamentalist" Christians are those with a conservative view of interpreting the Bible; rather than looking at scripture as having been written possibly from a that-message-for-that-time-and-place perspective, they see the scripture as being a sort of living word that applies even now, as it almost literally reads now (and if you believe in an all-powerful deity, this is not out of the question).

Mike Gabbard, love him or hate him, is not one of them. He may have the Fundamentalists' votes, but he's known for having religious beliefs that have absolutely nothing to do with Christian fundamentalism. I know you didn't say or even imply that he does, but it sounded pretty dang close to it. I'm just clarifying.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                    I'm sorry to go off-topic here, but take it easy calling Gabbard a fundamentalist. "Fundamentalist" Christians are those with a conservative view of interpreting the Bible; rather than looking at scripture as having been written possibly from a that-message-for-that-time-and-place perspective, they see the scripture as being a sort of living word that applies even now, as it almost literally reads now (and if you believe in an all-powerful deity, this is not out of the question).

Mike Gabbard, love him or hate him, is not one of them. He may have the Fundamentalists' votes, but he's known for having religious beliefs that have absolutely nothing to do with Christian fundamentalism. I know you didn't say or even imply that he does, but it sounded pretty dang close to it. I'm just clarifying.
                    Fine. I don't really care what religious beliefs he as an individual has, but he seems to motivate some of the, um...strict constructionists. Am I right in thinking there was an attempt to gain control of the Republican Party here by those folks, or am I misremembering?

Comment

$$ can buy a lot of propaganda maintenance Re: Thielen vs. Akaka

What a joke Thielen vs. Akaka !!! Ha aha ha ...choke gag...-puke and

Nothing against Cynthia ,,,, but really? Why should Akaka ever meet her/them in a debate? He should as well be debating some write-in candidate for the U.S. Senate. At least then it might be worth watching.

This "Republican challenge" (aka monopolization of "American" democracy/elections ideology) prefaced with"Cynthia Thielen for US's Hawaii U.S. Senate" seat propaganda is the norm in the United States: it's a staged show between corporatUSts humanUSt capitalUSt$ and corporatUSt$ nationalUSt fascUSt$, where $$ wins in effectively all matches. $US$ buys/appropriates/expropriates propaganda machinery, airspace and maintenance.
                      Last edited by waioli kai; September 26, 2006, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Snark for sure, but I gotta say that I laughed when I tried to read all that weird dollar sign mixed case goobledygook and then saw "last edited at..." Heh.

Comment

Props to Norman Lee for asking the tough questions ...

Nomination Process Under Question

...state law allows the GOP to handpick a replacement to run in the general election. The question is: did most people know this when they went to vote?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

My headquarters opening (Cynthia Thielen's Blog)
                            I am here to tell you that your chance to change politics in Hawaii is not lost. My message and spirit is much closer to that of Representative Case than the incumbent’s is. That’s why so many Ed Case supporters have already offered support for my campaign. That’s why I am asking you not to give up hope for bipartisanship and moderation in Hawaii.

Comment

The Star Bulletin endorsed Thielen this morning. Interesting.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

How is that interesting? They endorsed Ed Case. Thielen is positioning herself as the successor to whatever support base Case left behind.

Still... considering that Thielen hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell, I'm thinking of voting for her. I think slightly-left Republicans need to be encouraged as much as slightly-right Democrats. Even if Hawaii Democrats will flatten her at the polls, it's obvious to everyone that this run is a prologue to something bigger later.

Comment

Working...
                                X