Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thielen vs. Akaka

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    How is that interesting? They endorsed Ed Case. Thielen is positioning herself as the successor to whatever support base Case left behind.

Still... considering that Thielen hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell, I'm thinking of voting for her. I think slightly-left Republicans need to be encouraged as much as slightly-right Democrats. Even if Hawaii Democrats will flatten her at the polls, it's obvious to everyone that this run is a prologue to something bigger later.
    It's interesting from the standpoint that Thielen supports a lot of issues that Akaka (and the Dems) support. She is the kind of candidate a lot of independents and progressives could probably appreciate because she appears not to be taking a strong Republican party line. She is more like Linda Lingle in that sense.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

David Thielen, Cynthia Thielen's son and webmaster, just posted an essay to Daily Kos to answer the question, "How on earth could a liberal consider voting Republican?"
      The Republican party has a long and honorable tradition as a party of liberalism, moderation, and encompassing the best of this country. This tradition stretches from Lincoln to Teddy Roosevelt to Eisenhower to G.H.W. Bush (look at his record, not his speeches). It still exists today in politicians from Christine Todd Whitman to Colin Powell. My mom comes from that same strain of the Republican party. Yes that strain is not presently in control. But they are fighting to regain control of the party. And this country desperately needs them to be successful in their fight.
      He's actually blogged about national politics in his own corner of Daily Kos, commenting on the Foley scandal and the Iraq war. Still, he's got a unique perspective on his mother's campaign.

Comment

Hi;

I'm Cynthia Thielen's son. First of all thank you for all the nice comments here. I'ld like to answer some of the questions/comments above.

1) My mom is in this to win. She talked to me a lot before accepting and one of the main issues for her was did she have a real chance. She took it because she thinks she does - and I think she does too. Not a great chance but a real chance.

2) I think the Republican party (and this is totally my opinion with no real knowledge of what anyone was thinking) put her forward to see how the voters in Hawaii respond to a moderate and effective Republican. This is a way to see if Lingle was a unique event or if the state is open to electing Republicans.

3) I think electing my mom would be a very good thing for the country, the state of Hawaii, and the Democratic party in Hawaii (that is not a typo). Click here for my reasoning on this.

4) For those of you supporting her, please take a look at this and please email it to everyone you know in Hawaii.

5) Yes it took a bit of time to get her issues up. And her blog entries are sparse. And... I think she has had a grand total of 5 weeks since she received the nomination. It's been incredibly busy and there has not been enough time to even breathe. Or as my little brother said, by November 8 we'll know what to do and have everything in place. I actually feel pretty good about what we have accomplished. But next election - a little more time would be good.

Again, thank you - dave

Comment

Still no word from your mother to confirm or deny whether she disclosed to the Hawaii GOP (before they named her to replace Coffee) that she supports removing Rumsfeld as SecDef? This is an especially interesting question since earlier this week President Bush re-stated his intention to keep Rumsfeld around.

Is the Hawaii GOP using your mother as a proxy to put that anti-Rumsfeld message before Hawaii voters, or is Thielen's opinion another example of her crypto-Democrat-ness? Both are scenarios that the voters should be aware of.

It's not that difficult of a question. What gives, your mother doesn't answer your emails or phone calls?

Comment

I've met Cynthia Thielen before, and I like her. She's a smart lady, I agree with most of her positions, and she genuinely seems like Good People. But it's gonna be really really hard for me to vote to send her, as a Republican, to Congress if she ends up toeing the national party line once she gets there.

Comment

OK, I've read Dave Thielen's piece now.

Originally posted by DavidThi808 View Post
              3) I think electing my mom would be a very good thing for the country, the state of Hawaii, and the Democratic party in Hawaii (that is not a typo). Click here for my reasoning on this.
              I guess on the national level, the question is, what's more likely, and more doable -- changing Congress by making the Democrats the majority party, or changing Congress by keeping the Republicans in power but working to change the party platform? I am highly skeptical of the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                I guess on the national level, the question is, what's more likely, and more doable -- changing Congress by making the Democrats the majority party, or changing Congress by keeping the Republicans in power but working to change the party platform? I am highly skeptical of the latter.
                But that is where time zones are your friend. At 5:00 in Hawaii you'll know what the results are on the mainland. If electing my mom decides the balance of power, vote for Akaka. But if it doesn't change who is in charge, then vote Thielen.

thanks - dave

Comment

Originally posted by DavidThi808 View Post
                  If electing my mom decides the balance of power, vote for Akaka. But if it doesn't change who is in charge, then vote Thielen.
                  So...it isn't about who might be the best candidate for the job, or who better represents your interests...it's about the balance game? Wow. If even the candidate's own family tells you to consider voting for the opponent, that doesn't show a lot of confidence in the candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    If even the candidate's own family tells you to consider voting for the opponent, that doesn't show a lot of confidence in the candidate.
                    I think this may be the first time I’ve disagreed with you, Leo. But I actually respect David Thielen more because he’s not trying to persuade me to vote for his mother using any possible method he can. Instead, he’s giving me a pros and cons approach, which the average American is incapable of (most are simply swayed by emotion). That demonstrates he’s not biased based on family ties which is a major problem in Hawai‘i (cronyism). It must be difficult for him, and he deserves a lot of respect for taking the higher road.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

So, David's suggestion is that everyone wait until 5 PM to 6 PM Tuesday to vote?! That's ridiculous, frankly, and ignores the very large absentee and walk-in voting population, too.

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer View Post
                        So, David's suggestion is that everyone wait until 5 PM to 6 PM Tuesday to vote?! That's ridiculous, frankly, and ignores the very large absentee and walk-in voting population, too.
                        No, no, no. My suggestion is everyone go vote today for my mom. However... if concern over control of the Senate is a major issue for you, then I suggest that you wait and vote on the way home from work.

And like any trade-off in life, it depends on the level of concern, the likelihood of it happening, and the inconvience of waiting. My point is that if you really like my mom, but control of the Senate trumps that, then vote on the way home.

Personally, I wish they would eliminate absentee ballots for all except those that really need them (out of town, bedridden). It may be my age but to me part of the process is we all stand together in line on election day and talk to the others in line waiting to vote. There is something about it being a community activity that to me is an integral part of voting.

But I think those days are rapidly disappearing.

Comment

Mr. Thielen...

Thanks for participating on HawaiiThreads.

Just a quick question.... If your mom was elected... "What issue(s) would you want her personally to address in your preferential order?"

Sincerely,

Manoasurfer123

P.S. any chance you can convince your mom to participate on HT? (she might gain some votes!)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            So...it isn't about who might be the best candidate for the job, or who better represents your interests...it's about the balance game? Wow. If even the candidate's own family tells you to consider voting for the opponent, that doesn't show a lot of confidence in the candidate.
                            I have tremendous confidence in my mom. I know she would do an incredible job as a Senator. She doesn't view this as a "next step" or a "gret job." She views this as a means to eliminate our dependence on foreign oil. And as those who have watched her in Hawaii know, she is incredibly effective. So to me it's putting someone who would make a significant difference for this country in office.

But I also realize that everyone has their own criteria by which they decide on who to vote for. And even if your criteria are identical to mine, you don't know my mom as I do. And as a liberal Democrat myself, I understand the importance of Democratic control of the Senate. (Although I think the Republican party might find my mom a bigger pain than Harry Reid truth be told - they have to listen to her.)

So my point is, vote based on your judgement on who you think would be the better candidate. (a Hawaii blogger posts about my mom.) But if your vote is Cynthia Thielen only if it does not change control of the Senate, then consider voting on the way home - you will know then.

And I do understand that point of view. I wish I didn't and could just say vote for my mom no matter what. But I do.

thanks - dave

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                              Mr. Thielen...

Just a quick question.... If your mom was elected... "What issue(s) would you want her personally to address in your preferential order?"

Sincerely,

Manoasurfer123

P.S. any chance you can convince your mom to participate on HT? (she might gain some votes!)
                              Now there's a loaded question. First, what is HT? I live in Colorado so I'm not up to speed on what is going on there.

Ok, now this is my opinion, not my mom's, not the campaign - mine. And I think of this as what would get the most bang for the buck. Iraq is the most critical question in front of us and my mom has put a lot of thought in to her position on it. But I don't think focusing on that is the best use of her talents.

So I would say the environment followed by education. These are both issues on which she is very well versed, very passonate, and cares very deeply. And they are more critical to our long term future than anything else we face today.

And talking to her (the little time I get right now), that is what she will do. That is why I think her election is so important for this country. I think what she will accomplish is to get the country focused intensly enough on alternative energy that we will eleiminate our use of foreign oil in 10 years. (Keep in mind the U.S. produces 45% of it's oil so this is doable. Incredibly hard but doable.)

That's what I think we'll get with her. And that's definitely what I think she should work on too.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                                Mr. Thielen...

ps - thank you to all of you for the nice reception here. And please call me Dave.

Comment

Working...
                                X