Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hui ordered to return objects to Bishop Museum

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    Jonah... thanks for the info... the reason I asked and thought... was because we all are eventually tied to them in some way some how. From this post... I automatically assumed that you might be related to my wifes family.

Would it be too much to ask what your lineage is to the "artifacts" and/or Iwi.
    While I'm probably not related to your wife, Pua'i Mana'o and I are most likely distant relatives; however, I'm also related to a certain Irishman that liked to dabble in real estate on O'ahu.

I understand this is a touchy issue...and believe me... I don't know why I'm getting into this... I just wanted to say that it hurts inside for those that are close to the situation to know whats going on...
    I agree that it's a touchy issue. Hopefully, Hui Malama, Nā Lei Ali'i Kawānanakoa, the Royal Academy of Arts, and several other groups that have an interest in this matter can reach a resolution that's acceptable to all.
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

once you marry a hawaiian... your'e married to the whole ohana.
      I don't think that's exclusive to Hawaiian families...and I think that's a good thing. Lucky are those who are accepted by a culture that is distinct from the one you were born into.

Comment

Back to square one...

The squabble between the Bishop Museum and Hui Malama over the repatriation of cultural artifacts from Forbes Cave on the Big Island has been resolved.

A settlement reached yesterday in the long dispute over Forbes Cave artifacts requires Bishop Museum and the group Hui Malama I Na Kupuna o Hawai'i Nei to share the $330,000 cost of recovering the objects from a Kohala Coast cave.

The agreement appears to bring to a close a chapter involving the fate of the 83 cultural items, which are among the most cherished Hawaiian cultural objects known to exist and include a famous wooden female figure and several renowned stick 'aumakua.
        The artifacts were returned to Bishop Museum in Sept. Their ultimate disposition still is uncertain, however. The news story said that the repatriation proceedings among the 14 Native Hawaiian groups that claim ownership will probably restart soon.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Back to square one...

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          The squabble between the Bishop Museum and Hui Malama over the repatriation of cultural artifacts from Forbes Cave on the Big Island has been resolved.

The artifacts were returned to Bishop Museum in Sept. Their ultimate disposition still is uncertain, however. The news story said that the repatriation proceedings among the 14 Native Hawaiian groups that claim ownership will probably restart soon.

Miulang
          Were these artifacts ever displayed before? It seems the debate on claims still goes on. What are museums for? They share collections and educate . The public should be able to see these priceless cultural wonders and learn about them and thier history.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Resurrecting this thread because of the 14 huis who claim ownership of the Forbes Cave moepu, one particular family may have evidence of the clearest claim to the artifacts.

Now (Hui Malama's Executive Director Edward) Ayau says he can prove who has a true claim to the moepu. "Here we have a document and it's from the Commission of Boundaries for the island of Hawaii," Ayau said while referring to a document he found in the state archives.

The document is dated January 10, 1876. It includes sworn testimony from a woman named Kaneahiku. She was married to a chief from the Kawaihae area of North Kohala named Mahi. Kaneahiku told the commission of boundaries, "My husband Mahi was buried in the pali of Honokoa."

The cave where Forbes is believed to have stolen the items was on a pali, or cliff, in Honokoa gulch. And because Mahi was a chief, it is reasonable to believe he was buried with lots of moepu.

Ayau told KGMB9 Kaneahiku's statement to the Commission of Boundaries is evidence burial items stolen from the cave by Forbes 102 years ago were put there when Mahi was buried and thus belong to the Mahi ohana.
            The ironic thing is Ayau has discovered that he is also related to ke ali'i Mahi. Will this document be sufficient evidence for the courts and Bishop Museum to allow the Mahi family to be make the ultimate decision about disposition of the moepu?

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; April 12, 2007, 02:28 PM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X