California wildfires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: California wildfires

I have friends in Lake Forest and Trabuco Canyon (with livestock) that I've not been able to reach. I just hope they are all ok. I was living in OC in early 1996 (or maybe 95?) when the Laguna fires were going on. We were watching the flames from our 10th floor office windows in Costa Mesa. It was scary from that far a distance - I can't even imagine what it would be like to see the flames from a closer place.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Thanks for posting that, Tutu. Excellent photo of a scary scene.
      One quick question, if I may. There's a light on the top of a mountain near the right-hand side of the photo. If memory serves (which it rarely occasionally does), that's Mt. Wilson, yeah? Usually only visible from Laguna when Santa Ana winds blow.
      Ya know what? I don't know but, in the very deepest recesses of my brain, a vague familiarity is trying to surface! Looking at this map (ya need to zoom out), it appears to be a stretch but possible, I guess.
      Continued best wishes for your spawn.
      Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        I would think the scent of smoke must have entered the plane via passenger's clothing or while the plane was on the ground and it's cabin doors open.

I would shudder to think that smoke at a cruising height of 20,000 feet and 1000-miles out at sea is entering the cabin thru a "vent" as most airline cabins such as those flown by Hawaiian Airlines are sealed and pressurized.

Come on LikaNui I thought you were smarter than that
        I would think the aircraft has some means to bring fresh air into the cabin even though it is pressurized. The air would get pretty stale if there was no fresh air coming in with all those people in such a small space.
        "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
        Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          I have friends in Lake Forest and Trabuco Canyon (with livestock) that I've not been able to reach. I just hope they are all ok. I was living in OC in early 1996 (or maybe 95?) when the Laguna fires were going on. We were watching the flames from our 10th floor office windows in Costa Mesa. It was scary from that far a distance - I can't even imagine what it would be like to see the flames from a closer place.
          October 1993...a real nail biter. My elderly dad was atop his steeply pitched roof with a garden hose only trickling water, trying to save his home. The police finally evacuated my parents. I was watching the news from Hawaii and the helicopter coverage was focusing on the community in which my parents lived. I often saw their home and the proximity of the flames. The fire eventually burned down to their cul-de-sac and took a couple of homes. Theirs was spared. How, I'll never know.

Comment

wow - i didn't think it was that long ago. that must have been really hard to see your home, and be so far away. I worked for a law firm at the time & one of our attys. lost his house in that one. Our office was right next to the 405 and looked south towards the airport. My office window faced south and I remember looking out early in the afternoon and noticing smoke. Pretty soon word went around the office that there was a very bad fire. It's good to know that your home was saved and your parents were ok.

I don't know which I hated more - the earthquakes or the Santa Ana winds. Both helped me decide it was time to come home.
            Last edited by anapuni808; October 24, 2007, 06:51 PM.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              This photo was taken last night just inland from Laguna Beach, looking northeast to Irvine. Eldest spawn lives mid photo far left. She was driving home at about the same time a friend of hers took this photo. We were on the phone at the time when she turned a corner and saw the flames. The smoke, ash and soot are blowing directly over her area.

Needless to say, the air quality is horrible and ash and soot have permeated the entire interior of her home. That's certainly a small price to pay compared to what others are experiencing.
              Wow unreal picture! Prayers to all involved and especially to the one's fighting the flames.

Comment

did you guys see this?

off of CNN's website:

October 26, 2007
                FEMA under fire for 'faking' news conference

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House scolded the Federal Emergency Management Agency on Friday for staging a phony news conference about assistance to victims of wildfires in southern California.

The agency — much maligned for its sluggish response to Hurricane Katrina over two years ago — arranged to have FEMA employees play the part of independent reporters Tuesday and ask questions of Vice Adm. Harvey E. Johnson, the agency's deputy director.

The questions were predictably soft and gratuitous.

"I'm very happy with FEMA's response," Johnson said in reply to one query from an agency employee.

pax

Comment

I just received this stunning photo of the fire. Expand the photo as much as you can. The marina in the foreground is Dana Point Harbor, a few miles south of Newpoert Beach:
                  Last edited by LikaNui; March 9, 2008, 11:33 AM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Incredible photo, LN. My brother lives in Dana Point, which is about 12 or so miles south of Newport. I have a lot of good memories from time spent at that harbor...fun restaurants! Is that the fire near Camp Pendleton? The flames look to be in the San Clemente area but I didn't hear any reference to SC during all the media coverage. Or did I just miss it? I don't know how many miles Pendleton is beyond SC but I think it's half way to Oceanside. Any idea which fire that is?

Comment

Looks like they finally found who started the wildfires ...

A 10-year-old boy?!! I certainly hope his parents aren't too attached to their jobs. They may have to pick up and move out of state. And that's if their son isn't prosecuted and sent to juvie. *sigh* *shakes head*

Story here (free registration).
                      "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

That would be the Malibu fire, not all the fires...right, MPB? At least that's what I heard on the news last night.

Comment

The Buckweed fire, according to the article. But you're right, Tutusue -- not all the fires.
                          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Working...
                          X