Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Health Department: Sayonara, Sandwiches!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Health Department: Sayonara, Sandwiches!

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
    [...] and the open contempt for the smoking ban thing, and so on. Things like that = an abysmal level of respect for between my friends and I versus the DOH leadership.
    Aaaah, jeez, AlohaKine. Please don't start any rants about your smoking issues in this thread as it's for and about Sharon Black and the Kau Kau Wagon. You already have a lengthy smoking thread.

Thank you. Thank you very much. (Elvis)
    Thank you...very much. (Lex Brodie)
    (tutusue)

Comment

LOL Sue, ehhh thanks for the support SIS!!!
      pssssss U need to make another home visit here and see the grand pup before the buggah grows any faster. LOL

Lynn wonderful pics and stuff. Thanks Sis!!! U da best. So funny.
      Ehhh why u take that pic on me at a side angle showing all my lumps and bumps? LOL geeeez! I owe u one. LOL

So glad u were there with us. Ur such an awesome part of this program!

And to all of u that have supported us in so many wonderful ways....WOW thanks so very much!!!

Our success is urs!!!!!!!!! Their hope is OURS!!!!! As a team we can't be beat!
      One heart is powerful but several speaks and does volumes!!!!!!!

MAHALO AGAIN TO ALL OF U!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        (tutusue)
        Very VERY funny, Tutu!!! [/high five]
        And congrats to Sharon and Auntie Lynn, as always. I was glad to see the story in the paper this morning too.
        Please tell us again -- exactly where and which days and what times do you do the feedings?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Every Sat accept the last Sat of the month. The church has adopted that one.

Please know we welcome volunteers all the time.

If u need any further info where we meet and prep, let me know.
          U can e-mail us at KauKauWagon@aol.com

Thanks so much for the support!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Aaaah, jeez, AlohaKine. Please don't start any rants about your smoking issues in this thread as it's for and about Sharon Black and the Kau Kau Wagon. You already have a lengthy smoking thread.

(tutusue)
            Point taken. DOH still s*cks however.

Comment

From Sharon Black:

"All of sudden the City is now demanding A K A enforcing it's rule that IF u have any gathering in a City Park of 50??? or more u have to have a permit, be a non profit and come up with $200.00.

I dunno what the heck we're gonna do about this permit crap.
              We're not selling anything, or promoting anything, we clean up behind ourselves, the City has come out and asked the businesses in the area if they had complaints and the answer was no. We're serving anyone who wants to be served. NOT just homeless, many fixed incomes, many handicap, veterans, seniors, families, ANYONE who needs a meal.

There's NO way we can afford to spend 200 every week and get a permit every week. This is so cruel and only days before Christmas. I get the feeling after this year IF we even get to do it this year, the HILTON will decide to end it. It's not worth the stress. I wouldn't blame them!! Maybe it will be our last Christmas out there.

BUT U CAN BE DAMMM SURE I AM GOING TO FIGHT THIS with all the time and energy I have. I will sign the permit and I will pay the 200 for Christmas even though time and financially it will burden us super hard. But this is something I believe in too much to not have happen.

Gawd I am so sick to my stomach!!! All these years 20 plus there's always something to fight us for trying to better the living space of this WHOLE community. We are not the problem we are a part of the solution.

Get real, u mean every group that is over 50 will have to now get a permit to be in the park and pay 200?????? That's nuts!!!
              It's a public park!!! The one we ALL pay taxes to enjoy.
              Just because many of the people we serve don't have a voice doesn't mean u get to push them around and kick them cause they are down. What kind of low life junks is that? GEEEEZ!!!!"

We are there to feed and bring HOPE. We VOLUNTEER. Please call your Council Members and Mayor to show support for KauKau Wagon!!

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I've got mixed feelings about the permit part. On one side it seems to be a violation of one's constitutional right to peacefully assemble. On the other it does establish an orderly system on who's go dips on the spot.

The $200 sucks outright. What is their rational for that? Is that a security deposit or a payment?

Sometimes the best way to fight stupid rules is to force them to try and enforce them against you. But that is a path full of stress.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  The $200 sucks outright. What is their rational for that? Is that a security deposit or a payment?

Sometimes the best way to fight stupid rules is to force them to try and enforce them against you. But that is a path full of stress.
                  Payment.

I don't need Stress but I'll fight to my death for the Hungry and the Homeless!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Kalona's HOT!

She went and paid the $200.00, it's a deposit so she'll get it back.....

in 3 to 6 months.

There's no way she can cough up $200.00 per week and have it pending return for months at a time.

Comment

In The Advertiser this morning:
                      http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...H9VEEMEtqEE%3D

Dana Takahara-Dias, deputy director of the city's Department of Parks and Recreation, said the regulation has been on the books since the mid-1980s but hasn't been strictly enforced because there had been almost no complaints.

However, "we have been receiving concerns about large picnic holders and large events," she said. "That's why we are addressing it at this time and being consistent across the board islandwide.

"Takahara-Dias said the deposit covers any damage that may occur at the park during the event. Otherwise, the full deposit is refunded. The idea is for the park to be returned to its original condition after the event.

"And I have to admit that many of our user groups bring the park back to even better condition than it was," she said. "And we love them. We appreciate their help."

Black went through a similar problem with the state in fall 2005 after the Department of Health ordered her to halt her thrice-monthly sandwich and juice handouts because she lacked a required permit and her food was not prepared in an approved kitchen. When an approved kitchen was found at the 11th hour, Black was able to get the needed DOH permit.

Yesterday, even after paying the deposit, Black said she was given no assurance that the permit would be approved in time.

"They aren't even going to guarantee us Christmas right now," said Black.

But Takahara-Dias said she was reasonably certain the Christmas permit would be signed in time.

"It looks like she's got everything in," Takahara-Dias said. "So it's a safe assumption that if she has all the requirements completed, there will be no reason not to issue her a permit for this event."

This whole episode is KAKAS! Right at Christmas time too. I spoke with Sharon last night and told her "Let's picket City Hall!" But then I realized bumby we going get arrested and what would happen to the MWH Slippah Wish Celebration and The Distribution of Slippahs to the Leeward Coast.

Nah. I believe God is our strength and our victor in all things...especially for those whom we bring Hope to. If our own City Officials can't have compassion for those less fortunate than ourselves than we must look forward to the day when we can put into office people who care.

Love and Aloha

Alyn Vasquez

Comment

I noticed that the word had made it to the Advertiser, but I didn't have time to read it (yet). I think that will help things move along.

Comment

From Kalona808:

"I got a letter from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. They will NO longer be doing the Christmas dinners for the Kau Kau Wagon.

It wasn't a big surprise to me. I kinda saw that coming from last year after all the permit hassels and other challenges. Kinda sad but at least we have a good amount of notice. We are thankful they helped us for all these years. They have a wonderful staff and I am sure they will find a program that has less challenges.

We have plenty of time to decide what and if we will do anything for that day. There are many other programs on Christmas day out there. And the whole point of our program from day one was to meet the need.

I was thinking maybe we should do like we do for our Thanksgiving of Hope and instead of Christmas Day, do our meal the Sat after. That way we can give all the people something extra special and meet the ongoing need.

People are in need every day of the year not just the holidays. That was the big reason we switched our Thanksgiving to the Sat after. I love the message that every day is a day of need for many. I love that we can be a part of making that difference.

So now it's time to rethink what we can or will do for that holiday to make it the best it can possible be.

Plus I think getting volunteers for that event would be easier. I believe this could possibly be an opportunity to do more and do better.

The interesting part here is I was actually thinking about making some changes last year on the Christmas celebration.

Anyone have any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

Hope u all have a wonderful weekend! "

I suggested to Kalona808 for us to serve Hawaiian Foods!

Dreams and Wishes comes true; you just gotta BELIEVE!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                          X