Christmas Wishlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas Wishlist

Wow, you miss so much if you don't monitor a thread here.

Anyone got any video from KHON2?

Oh, and bumbai I forget: Merrry Christmas everyone! and have a Happy New Year!
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I didn't get a copy Adrian. But I just wanted to tell you once again Mahalo for starting this wonderful magical thread! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Year too!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Mele Kalikimaka a me Hau'oli Makahiki Hou, kakou!

The best to all of you at Christmas.

Blaine
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Christmas Wish and HawaiiThreads.com (article)

I hope this is in the right place! Here's a SB article on da "slippahs"!!

http://starbulletin.com/2005/12/25/news/story01.html

Mele Kalikimaka everyone!
          Lovena

Comment

WOOT!!!

http://starbulletin.com/2005/12/25/news/story01.html

Mahalo everybody!

Comment

Re: Christmas Wish and HawaiiThreads.com (article)

That has to be the best thing I've ever read about on the internet. Ever!
              myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Re: Christmas Wish and HawaiiThreads.com (article)

Hi Tropics, I know you cannot see the front page of the "real" newspaper. Take a look here:

http://starbulletin.com/2005/12/25/news/a1.jpg

That's a screen shot of page A1 in today's Star-Bulletin.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                  Very cool! But ya know what, Blaine? I wish the article coulda been attributed to another SB writer so that the unnamed 'participant' coulda been named and received the credit he so rightly deserved. You were a major player in this heartwarming project...to the point of giving up sleep. So, for anyone who links to HT from the SB article and stumbles upon this message...

BLAINE FERGERSTROM IS THE UNNAMED PARTICIPANT!!!!!!

Mele Kalikimaka everyone!
                  Last edited by tutusue; December 25, 2005, 08:49 AM. Reason: D@mn typo!

Comment

An amazing story from beginning to end. Congratulations and thanks to Lynn, Blaine, and everyone else, online and offline, to make a simple wish become a reality for so many young (and almost young) people this Christmas.

Comment

• Re: Christmas Wishlist

Originally posted by zztype
                      One participant volunteered a connection to Waipahu slipper wholesaler Zori Zori Inc., distributor of Locals Footwear slippers.
                      [...]
                      On Thursday, one of the participants drove to the Waipahu slipper warehouse to pick up the order for delivery to Vasquez's Mayor Wright home for the community Christmas party scheduled for that evening.
                      I can understand why, for professional reasons, a certain person's name wasn't mentioned in the Honolulu Star Bulletin's article, but I don't see that it needs to apply here. Mahalo braddah "one of the participants" Blaine for being Auntie's chief behind-the-scenes Santa's helper without whose kokua the keiki might not have gotten such good-quality rubbah slippahs -- never mind that they only came in pink, purple, and green!

(Egads, TutuSue, you're just too fast for me! )

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                        [...](Egads, TutuSue, you're just too fast for me! )
                        Leseeeee...I slept in this morning and there's a 2 hour time difference between you and Hawaii. Yah...how'd that happen?!

No matter, tho'...all the better that Blaine gets more recognition rather than less. And, for those folks who will be reading this site because of the SB article...Blaine works nights and sleeps days. His slipper project participation had to take place during normal business hours. He was ordering and schlepping slippers when he shoulda been sleeping.

And let's not forget that Auntie Lynn was sick thruout most of this project and she never gave up.

Personally, I think the "slippah story" is a classic example of "Thoughts Become Things. Choose the Good Ones!" (Mike Dooley of www.tut.com)

Comment

So wonderful. I've been telling people around Seattle about how this all came together - you all made such a difference, with what began as small gestures.

One of our local halau has been involved in their own "adopt an `ohana" project for several years now, where people are given an empty basket, and asked to fill it up - with whatever they want (usually toys, children's clothes and treats) - and the baskets are then given to needy families in the area's Pacific Islander community; in recent years, it's also been expanded to include Native Americans from the tribes that have links to early Hawaiians who settled in the area (like in the town of Kalama.)

One of the alaka`i from the halau was recently at a store, and got to talking with the person in line in front of her; the woman in front had two cartloads of toys that she was buying for Christmas. They got to talking about "adopt an `ohana" --- to shorten the story: when the alaka`i got to the checkout, the clerk told her that the woman before her purposely left behind two of the toys she had bought, to be given to the project.

Now - how do we get more people into this mindset all year long, not just Christmas? Best way is to practice it ourselves (as many here on HT do), and it can be surprisingly infectious.

Comment

Ohhhh..da chicken skin Leo! Mahalo for sharing. All year round sounds like a perfectly good idea for everywhere. Infectious it is!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              Ohhhh..da chicken skin Leo! Mahalo for sharing. All year round sounds like a perfectly good idea for everywhere. Infectious it is!

Auntie Lynn
                              Indeed...great story.

Can you imagine the 'snowball' effect if each person in the world, during the course of each day, did just one 'random act of kindness'? It can be as simple as you say, Auntie...a smile and a 'hi'. Or, how 'bout giving a shoeless child a pair of slippers...or handing a pizza to a homeless lady...or handing over a used guitar to someone who can't afford one...or giving 2 toys to the person in line behind you who is buying toys to donate? The possibilities are endless. But, what goes around comes around. Multiply that by billions each and every day! Whatta concept!

I recently saw the greatest idea for a birthday or Christmas gift! Each day, in a calendar or journal, write down something nice that happened to you that day and the person's name who was responsible for it. At the end of the 'year', write each of those people a note or a card, whatever, thanking him/her for being in your life and listing all the reasons why...those reasons come from the calendar. The probability of those people remembering all the those times is very unlikely. However, they might be terribly impressed and grateful that you did. And, just the mere fact of writing something down that's positive gives it energy. Of course, so does writing something down that's negative! It's a choice we all have that can never be taken away from us.

Okay...I'll now change my name from Pollyanna back to Sue and go watch for a green flash!

Comment

Wonderful idea tutusue! As a Blogger, only easy to go back and get the information of all the people who made me happy each day of the year! Yep, I think I'll do that. As for the ones who made me sad...I'll give them small reminders of Whacks Whacks!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X