X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WWJD? SMU Courts June Jones

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    But since the school did have a little BCS pay day due to JJ's work, who knows, the school could've started on fulfilling some of the promises that they made to him.
    Too little, too late.

While academics come first, they still need to throw the athletic department some bone. Otherwise, as you stated, UH deserves a Bill Callahan or a Fred Von Appen. Even worse, a Marc Fossorier (the engineering professor convicted of electronic enticement).

Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      The backgrounds of all five guys that Jones recommended are at this link.
      Make that "supposedly" recommends.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        Too little, too late.

While academics come first, they still need to throw the athletic department some bone. Otherwise, as you stated, UH deserves a Bill Callahan or a Fred Von Appen. Even worse, a Marc Fossorier (the engineering professor convicted of electronic enticement).

They had The SSC built. Students had what...Frear Hall rebuilt, 15+ years later than promised? Sure, good athletic facilities would attract athletes. But they don't sleep in gyms. I'm sure they want dorms with no bad plumbing. And about the EE professor, a college could hire someone like that regardless of how much money the school has.
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Word. Sometimes schools (not just athletic departments) need to look at what direction they want to go. IMO, why try to turn Hawaii into "the Berkley of the Pacific" like a former UH president aimed for, or UH athletics into a Pac-10 caliber team? Let Hawaii be Hawaii.
          A downgrade to division 1-AA?

Herman Failure proved that with the 2007 schedule.

Comment

A downgrade to division 1-AA?

Herman Failure proved that with the 2007 schedule.
            No. Just win, and let the fans and money come. Don't try to build athletic programs into something like those on the top tier of the NCAA, like Notre Dame, USC, or [insert SEC school here].

Initially, I thought that Frazier's shortcomings in completing the football schedule on time would do bad for Hawaii, but the football team did its job and went 12-0. They had a shot in a BCS game. They just didn't win. Can't complain with how the season turned out, really.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              The Norm Chow / Dick Tomey / Cal Lee part sounds suspicious. Those are names Hawaii fans WANT to hear. The Gilbride part actually sounds like what I imagine Jones would say, and of course I couldn't fault recommending these three guys, but why Cal and not Ron?
              Well, fulltime coaching (high school, college, pro indoor) has been a part of Cal's life for the past 25 years. Ron Lee was the head coach of Kaiser's Prep Bowl team of 1979, but for many years after that, he was only a part-time assistant. (His fulltime job, working for Outrigger Hotel.) I would say brother Cal has much more extensive experience in running a football team.

And Jones knows you don't rehire a coach you fired. That's pretty much never done in college football.
              Why is that an issue here? AFAIK, none of the coaches mentioned (Tomey, Chow, Lee) have ever been fired from UH. Tomey wasn't fired from UH 20 years ago. He resigned to take over the head coaching job at Arizona.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                Why is that an issue here? AFAIK, none of the coaches mentioned (Tomey, Chow, Lee) have ever been fired from UH. Tomey wasn't fired from UH 20 years ago. He resigned to take over the head coaching job at Arizona.
                He meant Duane Akina, who will face dismissal from University of Texas. Mike_Lowery even suggested the fired Nebraska coach Bill Callahan.

Comment

Duane Akina has neither been fired yet, nor has he resigned.

flickr

Comment

Here's a story from KGMB that includes:
                    Make that "supposedly" recommends.
                    Hmmm. KGMB has a copy of the letter, and the link I gave (above) was to the story where they quote parts of the letter and they say that Jones recommended those five. Not sure what could be "supposedly" about that. I guess until we see a PDF of the signed letter, maybe. But since the letter went to so many people and they're all reporting the same thing, it seems pretty safe to assume the five recommendations are legit.
                    But.
                    It sure would be kinda funny (in a bizarre and evil way) if someone faked a letter of resignation from Jones!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

fans are not necessarily equated with spending.
                      I hate to be blunt, but that kind of thinking and rationalization is why we will never be in a BCS conference. Hawaii fans are good at coming up with excuses NOT to attend the games when the team is struggling.

Now, for saying that, I know I'm gonna get blasted by some folks who call themselves "UH fans." And you what the irony is gonna be? Some of them will be "fans" who watched most (if not all) of the UH games on TV. And they'll be taking shots at me, a season ticket holder of UH football and baseball games for the past 15 years.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

It sure would be kinda funny (in a bizarre and evil way) if someone faked a letter of resignation from Jones!
                        That's what I'm proposing.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

That's one elaborate hoax. Anyone besides HonAd can get a direct quote from JJ's friend, Al Souza?

Comment

He meant Duane Akina, who will face dismissal from University of Texas. Mike_Lowery even suggested the fired Nebraska coach Bill Callahan.
                            Yeah I did. Callahan had winning seasons in the Big 12. I'd take that over any of the names that Jones supposedly suggested, hold for Gilbride.

flickr

Comment

Yeah I did. Callahan had winning seasons in the Big 12. I'd take that over any of the names that Jones supposedly suggested, hold for Gilbride.
                              Callahan over Chow? I don't think so. You know Norm is coming home someday, whether after his time as a coach is up, or to close out his career. He might as well come home now.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

That's what I'm proposing.
                                That's what I figured. The thought had crossed my mind earlier, albeit only briefly. Quotes about it from Jones' friend Al Souza and from that guy from Na Koa make me think the letter is likely to be legit.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X