X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lei K
    replied
    Re: Gas Prices

$3.61 today in stuuupid hot Southern California.

Leave a comment:

• TuNnL
    replied

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    I think I will go for a nice drive tomorrow in the 41 mpg Corolla. Won't cost much.
    Tim, I find it hilarious how you continue to tout your Corolla as a badge of fuel-efficient honor. For those of you on HT who would like to see three popular competitively-priced mass-produced cars that get better gas mileage then Tim’s vehicle, click here. The video is actually a competition between the three, to see which one lives up to its billing.

Leave a comment:

• Palama Kid
    replied

Filled up yesterday in Campbell, CA. $3.74 a gallon. News reports: "expect much higher prices . . . soon."

Will be interesting to see gas prices as I drive up thru NV, ID, OR and WA - visiting family members on my way up to attend a Navy reunion in Bremerton.

Leave a comment:

• timkona
    replied

I'm just glad that liberal politics has successfully prevented any more refineries from being built in the last 30 years. I'm also glad that Dems have resisted oil drilling for so long. Most of all, I'm happy that LOTS of alternatives are available to the average consumer, and yet, they still do not choose them.

I think I will go for a nice drive tomorrow in the 41 mpg Corolla. Won't cost much. Then, when I get home, I will pick some papayas, pineapple, cilantro, chili pepper, and onion, and whip up a little salsa to smother on my ono.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

As hurricane Ike approached Texas, gas prices were raised $1.50 per gallon... in 24 hours.
    There should be a federal investigation, fines, loss of licenses and permits, and anything else they can throw at those crooks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• zff
    replied

Do you know if NASCAR uses any of these kinds of technologies?
    I'm guessing it doesn't. Most motor racing series have very strict regulations as to what kinds of technologies you're allowed to use on the car. NASCAR has very strict technical regs to keep the cars as similar as possible.

Starting next year, Formula 1, which is the highest level of motor racing in the world, will allow something they call KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) in F1 cars. It's similar to the regenerative braking system found in modern hybrids. Braking energy will be stored (in batteries, flywheels, rubber bands, etc.) and used to assist in propelling the car later. With the kinds of R&D budgets F1 teams have (in the hundreds of millions of US $ a year per team), we should expect a lot of forward progress to be made on KERS technology. Stuff that should trickle down easily into road cars.
    Last edited by zff; August 14, 2008, 03:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• timkona
    replied

I test drove it. Clear difference in power at 5,200 rpm. Nearly was scratchin the Michelins in 2nd gear goin uphill at full tilt boogie.

Do you know if NASCAR uses any of these kinds of technologies?

Leave a comment:

• MadRussian
    replied

Just saw a demonstration of the hydrogen technology, and of a device known as a Stynger.
    Stynger $400
    I just looked at Stynger website. IMHO - Stynger is bullshit device. Same as bunch of other - vortex, cold air intakes, ...

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
    What? Me Worry? Not in the least. When the worldwide average temperature rises 4 to 5 more degrees and the oceans rise 50 more feet, we'll see conditions similar to those of 3 million years ago, when humans first evolved.
    Humans made do before in the city of Atlantis.

Leave a comment:

• cynsaligia
    replied

ty for correction, salmoned. kinda hard to catch all details when whizzing by on a tricycle, as motorcycles with attached covered sidecars carrying up to three passengers are called here. actually, tricycles are the taxis of the PI for inter-town/city travel.

Leave a comment:

• timkona
    replied

Just saw a demonstration of the hydrogen technology, and of a device known as a Stynger.

Stynger $400
    Hydrogen $2200 installed

Both are awesome. Got to test drive the Stynger on my own Corolla. Impressive "Butt Dyno" results.

Leave a comment:

• salmoned
    replied

What? Me Worry? Not in the least. When the worldwide average temperature rises 4 to 5 more degrees and the oceans rise 50 more feet, we'll see conditions similar to those of 3 million years ago, when humans first evolved.
    Last edited by salmoned; August 6, 2008, 04:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Random
    replied

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
    Since this post is in the 'Route 808' forum, I find this quote apt (if somewhat dated), "We import 28 percent of our oil from Alaska, but 72 percent comes from foreign sources including Indonesia, China, Papua New Guinea, and Vietnam." [Excerpt from statement of Senator Daniel K. Akaka, February 17, 2005]
    Are those countries also running out of oil?

Should we be concerned as to how they get their oil? And what labor infrastructure they use, measuring up to our high standard of labor and job safety laws?

Frankly, I question the need to be oil-independent. We still have an abundance of oil. We just cannot touch them because of environmental concerns. I'd rather be weaned off of imported foreign oil dependency and tap our own source.

Leave a comment:

• salmoned
    replied

That's per liter, right? x 4 = ~$6.00/gal [Paying attention to the details can really pay off]
    Last edited by salmoned; August 6, 2008, 02:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cynsaligia
    replied

am in philippines right now (as i've mentioned before in recent posts). premium gas costs just under seventy pesos, or about a dollar seventy. of course, the wages here are incredibly low.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X