please help...I'm doing bad in school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: please help...I'm doing bad in school

Probation isn't kicked out. However, if I read you correctly, I think you're in danger of suspension, which still isn't kicked out. The way it works (I think) in the UH System is that you need to hit 2.0 after your first twenty-four attempted credits. If you don't, you're suspended, which means you take a semester off. If you don't take post-secondary classes anywhere else duing that semester, you're let back in automatically, this time on probation.

Probation means you need to hit 2.0 for the semester you're on it (and you're usually on it until your cumulative GPR goes over 2.0). While you're on probation, you're not allowed to take an incomplete grade in any courses.

I just realized that what I've outlined here is UH-Manoa. I think each CC has its own policies about suspension and probation.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      Probation isn't kicked out. However, if I read you correctly, I think you're in danger of suspension, which still isn't kicked out. The way it works (I think) in the UH System is that you need to hit 2.0 after your first twenty-four attempted credits. If you don't, you're suspended, which means you take a semester off. If you don't take post-secondary classes anywhere else duing that semester, you're let back in automatically, this time on probation.

Probation means you need to hit 2.0 for the semester you're on it (and you're usually on it until your cumulative GPR goes over 2.0). While you're on probation, you're not allowed to take an incomplete grade in any courses.

I just realized that what I've outlined here is UH-Manoa. I think each CC has its own policies about suspension and probation.
      wait, I'm kinda confused. Right now I have 30 credits(with 2.0 GPA) and it will be 33 credits earned if I pass the class I took in this summer session(if i pass it with a "D," my gpa will be down to like 1.8). So....I have 2.0 gpa right now. Does this mean that I'll be suspended if I do poorly again in fall 2006 or can I get a suspension right now after I get my grades for summer class?

Comment

There's always tradeschool and an AS degree. Don't knock it, I earn over $40,000 with a tradeschool degree from HCC. Maybe skills not smarts is what you have.
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
          There's always tradeschool and an AS degree. Don't knock it, I earn over $40,000 with a tradeschool degree from HCC. Maybe skills not smarts is what you have.
          No man..I can't just graduage from HCC. My parents really hate me going to community college. They won't stop complaining unless I go to UH.

Comment

Originally posted by Shredder
            No man..I can't just graduage from HCC. My parents really hate me going to community college. They won't stop complaining unless I go to UH.
            Let THEM go to UH - you go where YOU can succeed and get what you need. (Yeah, I know...easier said than done...darn parents; how DARE they care what happens to our futures!?!)
            Like alohabear, I went to a community college and got an Associate of Arts degree - probably one of the most worthless pieces of paper on the planet. Except that (a) when I was college-age, we couldn't afford anything else, and (b) I got into my chosen profession before I was even finished with college, and I have always been happy with my job choices.

Comment

Okay, so this is a good sign. You haven't dipped below 2.0 YET, meaning that if you do so now, you'll get the probation semester. That's good. You're not thrown out yet.
              Last edited by scrivener; August 14, 2006, 06:43 AM. Reason: "these are the things that made me blind..."
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                Okay, so this is a good sign. You haven't dipped below 2.0 YET, meaning that if you do so now, you'll get the probation semester. That's good. You're not thrown out yet.
                But I got a probation BEFORE like a few semesters ago. Don't I get kicked out if i get another one?

Comment

I don't think so. I think once you bring the GPR up over 2.0, you're clear until you dip below again, and then you just go right back on. But you should call a counselor and be sure.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

You might try to work on setting some goals for yourself, goals that will put you in a position of having a profession that you will enjoy, and base your education on that choice, instead of worrying about pleasing others. (Of course, if you are going to school on your parents' checkbook, you can expect they might have something to say.)

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
                      You might try to work on setting some goals for yourself, goals that will put you in a position of having a profession that you will enjoy, and base your education on that choice, instead of worrying about pleasing others. (Of course, if you are going to school on your parents' checkbook, you can expect they might have something to say.)
                      My parents want me to go to a four year univeristy or I'm dead. Simple as that. I have NO choice man. Whether I like it or not means nothing. I have to go. I'm forced to go or I'll be kicked out for sure.

Comment

Shredder: If you smoke pot, quit.

That is the best piece of advice I can give you if you want to bring your grades up.

I'm not anti-pot in the least (should be legalized, AFAIC), but if you are smoking and your grades are down, quit smoking and see what happens. You can always take it up again later.

If you don't smoke, and you are studying and getting tutoring and nothing seems to work, then maybe you need to tell your parents it's just not your thing. College is vastly overrated, anyway. What is it you want to study? Do you want to study anything, or are you just going because you don't want to be financially independent? That's not a great reason to waste four or more years of your life doing something you don't enjoy.

What do YOU want to do?

Comment

My parents want me to go to a four year univeristy or I'm dead. Simple as that. I have NO choice man. Whether I like it or not means nothing. I have to go. I'm forced to go or I'll be kicked out for sure.
                          What do you mean, you're dead? You mean, you would be cut off from their financial support? You'd have to find someplace else to live?
                          Shredder, you will always have choices, you just have to remember that. Yes, maybe many parents "expect" too much from their kids. You know why? Because they want you to have things that they didn't have. How old are you? 18? 19?
                          Some people don't have the skills or the inclination to be successful in college. But there's no shame in getting a good job (lots of jobs don't require a college degree) and foregoing the advanced education for the time being.

The most important thing to figure out is what's important to YOU. Because you are the one who has to live with yourself. Do you really want to be in school? Then go get the help you need. Find scholarships that aren't based on grades alone (there are some if you look for them).Figure out what YOU need, not how you can make your parents happy. Unless your parents are really really selfish, I think they would be happy knowing YOU were happy, whether it was in school or working someplace.

Please don't fashion your life around someone else's expectations because in the end, you probably won't enjoy it too much.

Take care of yourself,
                          Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Humm, maybe you need to take the big leap to adulthood and earn your own way through college so you are not subjected to being "dead", having "no choice", "like it or not", and "forced".

Perhaps your actual problems stem not from your academics, but from continuing to be controlled by your parents while you want to be an adult ("I'll be kicked out for sure").

Job = money = your own choices in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                              What do you mean, you're dead? You mean, you would be cut off from their financial support? You'd have to find someplace else to live?
                              Shredder, you will always have choices, you just have to remember that. Yes, maybe many parents "expect" too much from their kids. You know why? Because they want you to have things that they didn't have. How old are you? 18? 19?
                              Some people don't have the skills or the inclination to be successful in college. But there's no shame in getting a good job (lots of jobs don't require a college degree) and foregoing the advanced education for the time being.

The most important thing to figure out is what's important to YOU. Because you are the one who has to live with yourself. Do you really want to be in school? Then go get the help you need. Find scholarships that aren't based on grades alone (there are some if you look for them).Figure out what YOU need, not how you can make your parents happy. Unless your parents are really really selfish, I think they would be happy knowing YOU were happy, whether it was in school or working someplace.

Please don't fashion your life around someone else's expectations because in the end, you probably won't enjoy it too much.

Take care of yourself,
                              Miulang
                              No not that kind of dead. Dead like getting slapped in the face and getting hit and stuff like that.

Ok I wasn't so clear in the first place I guess. Basically my parents are mad because I couldn't get in UH after 2 years in community college. Yea..it's my fault. But I did my best. And I cared about my grades. And it wasn't enough. There's nothing I can do excpet keep trying harder. That's it. I couldn't transfer because of low GPA and not enough credit to get liberal arts degree which is my major(still haven't decided) So is it really really bad and such a big deal because I couldn't get all those credits within 2 years?

And people ask me what I really wanna do. Well I don't know. And yea...studying isn't my thing. And most of people around my age don't like to study either but they HAVE TO. I know that because most kids my age(I'm 19 by the way) like to go to beach, party and enjoy themselves. Who actually likes to study? No one does. But you have to do it. There's no choice dudes.

Comment

No not that kind of dead. Dead like getting slapped in the face and getting hit and stuff like that.
                                Sounds like abuse. Get out of the situation. No one deserves to be hit or slapped around because of grades.

I would do what ever I could to get away from them... maybe the intense pressure at home is why your not doing good in school?

If your constantly ducking everytime your parent raises there hand...then your living in Fear. It would be hard to study while living in fear. That may be part of your problem.

May I ask... did your parents go to College?

Comment

Working...
                                X