X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 3

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    [...]
    A clear view of Diamond Head from the Kapahulu Safeway's rooftop parking lot...[...]
    Whatta interesting perspective of Diamond Head considering that it's just not all that far away from Safeway.

Comment

sorry, double posted and don't know how to delete it...
      Last edited by hulagirl; May 25, 2008, 10:03 PM.
      I know you are but what am I?
      --------------------------------------
      I blog:
      www.mamasdramas.wordpress.com

Comment

Thank you Pomai! My hubby bought it for me around Christmas from Costco... it came with a camera bag and another lens to take closeups- sorry not sure which one it is, like I said I'm really green... but so far I'm having fun with it!!! I love your pix too- the one of the roosters is really pretty, love the colors and the one of the kids by the reef reminds me of a magazine ad...

Kanahina you daughter is so cute and that harley is nice!!!

Last night at the 50th State fair

Pretty flowers at the Tamuras Wahiawa parking lot

I love these little firetrucks! Taken at Tamura's parking lot in Wahiawa while waiting for my hubby.
        Last edited by hulagirl; May 25, 2008, 10:08 PM.
        I know you are but what am I?
        --------------------------------------
        I blog:
        www.mamasdramas.wordpress.com

Comment

This is a Great Thread! Love all the photos.

Went hiking with a couple of buddies above Lanikai today.
          Here's a shot of the Mokuluas
          Attached Files
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
            Went hiking with a couple of buddies above Lanikai today.
            And jus' ta prove Menehune Man was dea!
            Attached Files

Comment

I went up to Punchbowl National Cemetery yesterday and took a few pics to commemorate the holiday. Never forget the many people who sacrificed to keep our country free. God Bless America.

Photos taken with my Canon Powershot S5 IS EVF.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Memorial Day

Originally posted by mel View Post

I went up to Punchbowl National Cemetery yesterday and took a few pics to commemorate the holiday. Never forget the many people who sacrificed to keep our country free. God Bless America.
                Wow Mel. Those photos easily win best post of this holiday weekend. The view of Diamond Head in the background, and also the Orchid and Plumeria leis at the base of each gravestone flag is priceless.

Indeed, we should never forget.

There's a very touching and sad story in the news about a Marine named Merlin German, a.k.a. 'Miracle Man'. He suffered burns over 97% of his body from a roadside bomb in Iraq in February of 2005. He fought and struggled to survive, suffering through years of surgery after surgery for skin grafts, until finally his body couldn't take anymore. He recently died at age 22.

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I have no idea what this flower/plant is called...
                  Spider Lily.

Comment

Howzit LikaNui and all! I went with a group of friends to Mokoli'i (China Man's Hat) today. What a Blast walking out there, enjoying the island, and returning to shore!
                    Menehune Man, did you go there in a boat or a kayak? When I move to Oahu (sometime prior to July 7. WooHoooo!), I want to buy a kayak. My understanding is that Kaneoheis a good spot to kayak.

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                    Wow! Jim, your underwater shots are incredible. How do you do that?
                    That second shot, is that a school of aholehole? (I remember fishing for them when I was a kid, but I'm not a fisherman anymore.)
                    Thanks Honoruru. What I've found is that you can often bring out the best of what is already there in post-processing. I use two editing programs, Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8.1 and Nikon Capture NX. The Nikon Capture has a function called “d-lighting”. It lightens underexposed, or shaded, areas. The JASC program has a function called “clarify”. It darkens dark areas and lightens light areas, but in a much more specific way than you can do with contrast and brightness adjustments which apply the same algorithm to the whole picture evenly. Another function that really helps is a ‘grain’ or ‘noise’ reducer called “edge-preserving smooth”. This blends the salt and peppery pixels into one another while maintaining obvious color and contrast edges in the photo. I always adjust the color balance away from the blue/green spectrum that occurs naturally in underwater shots to the extent possible or natural looking. The last major thing I do is “unsharp mask”. This increases the contrast of edges where light meets dark and makes the image look sharper. That might be more info than you were interested in, but most of these things apply to all shots, not just underwater. You’d be surprised at how many photos you take that you’d think hadn’t turned out, but that can be adjusted successfully. It’s because the digital information stored in a picture is much greater than what is seen and sometimes it’s just a matter of “fishing” it out.

I don’t know if the big school was aholehole’s. They were more white in color and not really blue, but I couldn’t get the blue tint out. They were about 8 to 12” in length.

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    And to Jim75 -- nice Maui shots, especially the cliff-top shot of Honolua Bay. Gorgeous! (And I'm not saying that just because there's a boat in it. )
                    Thanks LikaNui. I think that was the Pacific Whale Foundation catamarn.

Originally posted by hulagirl View Post
                    I LOVE your pictures- beautiful, beautiful, beautiful ALL of you!!!
                    I hope I'm not butting in but I wanted to share tooTaken with my new toy- Nikon D40x... I'm an amateur and I'll probably ask you guys a lot of questions so e kala mai ia'u...
                    Great Honu shot Hulagirl! You are absolutely not butting in. Post lots more photos. I wish everyone would post more. Your husband made an excellent selection. The D40 is a fantastic camera!

And jus' ta prove Menehune Man was dea!
                    lol

Pomai, I really like that shot with the roosters. The Diamond Head shot is great, too. I’ve never seen the whole thing like that before.

Kanahina, what a sweet shot of your daughter!

And Mel, those flag shots are excellent. The first one has such great light, but the second one is my favorite. It looks 3 dimensional, like you could just reach in their and touch that first flag.
                    Last edited by Jim75; May 27, 2008, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                      Menehune Man, did you go there in a boat or a kayak? When I move to Oahu (sometime prior to July 7. WooHoooo!), I want to buy a kayak. My understanding is that Kaneohe is a good spot to kayak.
                      We walked out to Mokoli'i Island (Chinaman's Hat) at low tide,...
                      but a kayak would be even better! And Kaneohe is a terrific spot for Kayaking.

Comment

I went to the sandbar yesterday, mostly just to see how much of a zoo it was going to be and if the increased law enforcement was effective. More on that (and a bunch of photos) a little later in the Hawaii Boating Photos thread.
                        But while I was out there, four military helicopters kept circling around for almost an hour. I was anchored at the far end of the sandbar, closer to Kualoa Point and well away from the zoo of party animal boats.
                        This first shot shows the four helicopters. My boat is the one on the left with my kayak tied alongside. I'd just stepped off the back of my boat into water so shallow that I barely got my knees wet, and had my camera in a ZipLoc bag and walked away to get some shots of the boat when I first saw the helicopters:

The four helicopters flew right over my head:

Then they headed off toward Kualoa Point and Chinaman's Hat islet:

By the way, the water was only ankle-deep where I was standing.
                        One more photo to follow in the next post.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I had to try the camera's zoom feature on one of the helictopers, and got this shot:

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Took these three flower shots about an hour ago at the "Surfers' Garden" located in between the first two lookouts at Diamond Head. I composed the ocean below into all the shots to give them a sense of place. This garden is a really nice place to sit down and enjoy your lunch. Plenty of nicely-trimmed grass and trees to provide cool shade. And of course the view of the surf!

In this first pic, notice the couple faintly visible in the background enjoying the ocean view....

Perhaps that one would be nice on the cover of a romantic greeting card. I don't know what this flower is called, but it resembles a burning torch.

A pink Hibiscus...

Plumeria, as the Navatek passes by for the sunset dinner cruise far off in the distance...

Last edited by Pomai; May 27, 2008, 07:23 PM.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

[...]
                              Perhaps that one would be nice on the cover of a romantic greeting card.[...]
                              That would make a great (Apple) iCard!

Comment

I don't know what this flower is called, but it resembles a burning torch.
                                We're stumped - thought it might be some kind of calendula, but can't really match it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X