American Idol 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: American Idol 6

I'm still trying to figure out how they did the Elvis and Celine Dion bit.
    Did the audience see what we saw or were they looking at a screen?
    Which would be similar to Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole's duet.

OR

Did the audience get to see something like we did when we watched
    Star Wars years ago with R2D2 showing Luke Skywalker a message
    from Princess Leia through a beam of light??

OR

Mirrors?

Ugh, I don't know, but it was so cool to see!
    A proud sponsor of
    http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
      I found the AI gives back show a BIG disappointment . Why didn't they just make it a BIG AI all-star event? Where were Jasmine, Reuben, Clay, Taylor, Fantasia,Jennifer and all the other favorites and winners? Were they even asked to appear or did they refuse? It could have been a BIG success not only for the charity part, but for AI itself. That IMO, would have been a show that the viewers would have like to see and it would have really shown that AI gives back.

To the stars of past AI, if they were asked and said NO, shame on you.
      Ok, now this is just plain ridiculous.

You say 'shame on you,' but how do you know that they weren't already on tour? How do you know they didn't already have prior commitments? They shouldn't be obligated to drop everything for one night...especially if they're no longer under contract with 19E. A lot of them have careers now and have moved on. Some don't even want to be associated with AI anymore.

Personally, I'm glad if I never hear Goat Girl and Fantasia and Jasmine (and several others) sing again. AI couldn't have raised however many millions if it were just an AI reunion show. It was nice to see AI give back to charity, but I don't quite understand why the hell they'd have to give back to themselves by having an all star show like you say they should have.

People aren't gonna donate crap if it were a 2 hour show filled with AI nobodies.

Finally, while I did dig the concept of the AI telethon, I really did feel sorry for the Final 6 on Wednesday because 90% of the show was AI telethon and these poor six people played such an insignificant role. Keep the results show a results show. They should have done the telethon another night.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
        Ok, now this is just plain ridiculous.
        You took the words right outta my fingers!
        People aren't gonna donate crap if it were a 2 hour show filled with AI nobodies. [...]They should have done the telethon another night.
        Yep! Star power is needed to help part the viewers from their cash. Unlike you, Lei, I was fine with the results show/telethon concept...esp. since no one got booted off. For me, it added suspense to an otherwise tear filled evening.

I'd love to know how much money the audience members in both theaters donated. My daughter said that being there, in person, was incredibly emotional and she couldn't wait to get home to donate. I forgot to ask her if there were donation booths set up outside each theater.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          You took the words right outta my fingers!

Yep! Star power is needed to help part the viewers from their cash. Unlike you, Lei, I was fine with the results show/telethon concept...esp. since no one got booted off. For me, it added suspense to an otherwise tear filled evening.

I'd love to know how much money the audience members in both theaters donated. My daughter said that being there, in person, was incredibly emotional and she couldn't wait to get home to donate. I forgot to ask her if there were donation booths set up outside each theater.
          A lot of them are not nobodys ,Like it or not they owe their success to idol, without Idol we would have never heard of them. It would have fit the theme
          "Idols Give Back"
          Some don't even want to be associated with AI anymore.
          This sounds like biting the hand that fed you, but it would have been good PR for any artist who was a part of AI, even to boost their own CD sales. Believe me a lot of former AI contestants have STAR POWER too! I guess I would have like to see how my faves had grown since their time on the BIG stage.
          Last edited by alohabear; April 28, 2007, 03:00 PM.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

All the second-guessing over how it could or should have been done is pretty meaningless, considering that the concept they used, you know, WORKED. I hear they raised over $60 MILLION. Guess they did something right.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
              A lot of them are not nobodys ,Like it or not they owe their success to idol, without Idol we would have never heard of them. It would have fit the theme "Idols Give Back"
              Oh please. Not nobodies? Have fun listening to your Justin Guarini and Kimberly Locke and Bucky Covington and Diana DeGarmo CDs, then. American Idol Extra on the Fox Reality Channel might also be of interest to you.

So have an AI-reunion show and call it "Idols Give Back." Last Wednesday was "Idol (no s) Gives Back." As LikaNui said, AI must have done something right since they did raise all that money.

This sounds like biting the hand that fed you, but it would have been good PR for any artist who was a part of AI, even to boost their own CD sales. Believe me a lot of former AI contestants have STAR POWER too! I guess I would have like to see how my faves had grown since their time on the BIG stage.
              Good PR my ass! I liked Tamyra when she was competing, but each time she's come back to perform one of her "fabulous original songs" I can't help but get irritated because it takes away from real AI time.

Kelly Clarkson won't admit it, but it really did seem like her first album outside 19E's clutches contained lyrics that totally slammed the fine folks who run AI. So sure...the hand feeds, but it also has carte blanche to treat AI contestants like crap.

Comment

I also thought it was a little awkward, having the results show on the same night as Idol Gives Back. I think Idol Gives Back could have stood on its own.

As for not seeing Clay, Rueben, and the other former idols, we will probably see them in later shows, or maybe the finale. I really didn't miss them. I heard they went over the time limit and had to bump Pink and some other performers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mililani View Post
                  I'm still trying to figure out how they did the Elvis and Celine Dion bit.
                  Did the audience see what we saw or were they looking at a screen?
                  Which would be similar to Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole's duet.

OR

Did the audience get to see something like we did when we watched
                  Star Wars years ago with R2D2 showing Luke Skywalker a message
                  from Princess Leia through a beam of light??

OR

Mirrors?

Ugh, I don't know, but it was so cool to see!

The Good Morning America website explains how they did it:
                  http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3094801

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
                    The Good Morning America website explains how they did it:
                    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3094801
                    Don't you find it strange how much ABC news pimp's Fox's American Idol? They always report on AI every Thursday and I've never seen FOX promote an ABC show.
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

The contest is over as far as I'm concerned. Blake absolutely blew his Bon Jovi song outta the ballpark. U N B E L I E V A B L E !!!!! Can't wait to find it on YouTube! WowWowWow!!!

Comment

Yea, they could release Blake's version as a CD... absolutely!

Wow, Jordin was really out of her element! It will be interesting to see who leaves tomorrow...

Comment

Blake rules.
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

They were all really good tonight but there were definitely standouts. Melinda, who is out of her element in the rock genre, was terrific...imnsho! Phil was great and so likeable but just not idol material. Jordin? I loved her and, yes, not her best performance but still a contender nonetheless. I started out early on favoring Lakisha but, now, there are others I like better. Still, Lakisha is wonderful. Chris was terrific but, for my taste, not original enough.

Knowing that most of the current 6 will end up furthering their careers...my money is still on Blake! Oh wait...Melinda, too! Blake? Melinda? Hot dang. I dunno. What do I care...they'll both end up with contracts.

Comment

Suddenly, AI is not so enjoyable without a Sanjaya to hate.
                              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I was having dinner with the ex tonight while AI was on and halfway through it, I got an urgent text message from the BFF saying, "OMG! BLAKE DYED HIS HAIR! OMG! HE ROCKED!"

I just got home and I was because he was definitely taking a huge risk. Glad to see that the judges dug it too. I think I've watched his performance 5 times already.

AI's enjoyable again...and I have Blake to thank for that. WOW.

Comment

Working...
                                X