Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: American Idol 6

Originally posted by Brad White View Post
    Tina looks incredible now... surgery, do you think?
    I have absolutely no idea but being pretty durn close to that age myself I cannot, for the life of me, understand how anyone can look that good at that age...naturally! And...those LEGS! I wonder if they're insured!!!
    [...]I'd listen to Melinda no matter what she looked like... but I am not 17.[...]
    Ditto for me...to both! I'd also go see her in concert, depending on the venue! She won me over with "My Funny Valentine". I sent the YouTube link to her performance to a long time family friend who doesn't follow AI. I remembered, when I was a kid, that was Robert's favorite song. After viewing the link he replied with 3 words..."Oh my God"!!!

Maybe Melinda can garner major recognition in the jazz world. Granted, that's not the same as being a pop star but, hey, Ella, Sarah, Dinah (to name a few) certainly did extremely well and had great longevity! "Looks" didn't appear to be an issue...in that day and age, anyway. And, jazz audiences are known for being, ummm, shall we say, errrr, a bit, hmmm, classier and not as into the shallowness of looks!

'Scuse me...it's time to find my asbestos suit!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      She won me over with "My Funny Valentine".
      Me too. I wish she sang that song last week instead of I'm a Woman, but I guess she wanted to kick it up a bit.

Blake has been growing on me. I didn't care for him at first, and don't care for him every week, he put together three great performances last week. I was really impressed. Blake and Jordin are so different, and they both have their own fans. It's a toss up as to who will win, but I'd like to see Blake take it.

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
        Me too. I wish she sang that song last week instead of I'm a Woman, but I guess she wanted to kick it up a bit.
        Are contestants allowed to sing the same song twice during the competition?
        Blake has been growing on me. I didn't care for him at first, and don't care for him every week, he put together three great performances last week. I was really impressed. Blake and Jordin are so different, and they both have their own fans. It's a toss up as to who will win, but I'd like to see Blake take it.
        Hey, Lei Liko! We have another fan!

IMO, Blake is different from any other contestant I've seen on AI. I think he's the first beat boxer and he certainly has been willing to take some major risks. My concern for him is his longevity in the business. Is he a strong enough vocalist to change with the tides...

Does anyone know who arranges the songs for the top 10? Is it the musical director? The contestant? A team effort? Some of this season's arrangements have just blown me away...esp. Melinda's and Blake's.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Are contestants allowed to sing the same song twice during the competition?
          Yes, Melinda's 'I'm A Woman' was a repeat, and I think Jordin's pick was a repeat as well. They usually do pick a favorite song they've already performed, so that they don't have to learn a new number. I think Blake's was new, tho, but not sure.

Comment

Yes, Melinda's 'I'm A Woman' was a repeat, and I think Jordin's pick was a repeat as well. They usually do pick a favorite song they've already performed, so that they don't have to learn a new number. I think Blake's was new, tho, but not sure.
            I've watched every week and Blake's cover of the Robin Thicke song was new. (Shameless plug for "The Evolution of Robin Thicke"...it's great). I know Ryan said that they got to pick a song of their choice, but he didn't say whether or not it had to be something they had already done.

Randy also pointed out that "Robin Thicke's gonna be happy you chose his song" during the judges' critique.

Lastly, I don't know if this is true, but according to gossip mongers, Blake Lewis and Antonella Barba are engaged in some kind of love affair. I was just watching VH1's Best Week Ever (quality TV, I tell you!), and they pointed out how Blake blew a kiss to her, and she reciprocated the gesture.

Kinda threw me off because everybody's been talking about getting gay vibes. His sexual orientation is of no matter to me.

I'd still like to make out with his voice. CHEEEEEE!
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Who was worse in AI history--Willy Hung or Sanjaya?
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Seasons ago, Scott Savol sang a song from the "Hollywood" semi finals.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                  Lastly, I don't know if this is true, but according to gossip mongers, Blake Lewis and Antonella Barba are engaged in some kind of love affair. I was just watching VH1's Best Week Ever (quality TV, I tell you!), and they pointed out how Blake blew a kiss to her, and she reciprocated the gesture.
                  Yeah, I heard about that. Bad move to reveal his affection for her, especially at this point... but, oh well. People say she's hot and cute and all that, but I just don't see it, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                    Who was worse in AI history--Willy Hung or Sanjaya?
                    In my opinion; Sanjaya is talented, but he is young, inexperienced, lacking sufficient confidence, and at an awkward teen stage of his life. He's had a father in a suffocating religious movement, and a mother continuing to rebel against that movement, despite being away from said movement for years.

I know I'll be completely outspoken here, but I think much of Simon's hostility against Sanjaya is just the last vestige anti-Indian sediment in the entertainment industry -- which singers with Indian ancestory such as Freddie Mercury and Engelbert Humperdink went through great lengths to avoid. This is not to say that I think he should have won AI this season, like I said, this kid is young and could stand to improve, I just don't believe a lot of the hostility against him was warranted.

William Hung, on the other hand, had no musical talent, and was simply funny for fulfilling some antiquated Asian stereotype.

I think that once Sanjaya can get away from his parents at age 18 and study music, he will use his potential to outshine his rivals from this rather mediocre 6th season of American Idol.
                    Last edited by Vanguard; May 21, 2007, 07:13 AM.

Comment

OK, looks like Jordin's got it in the bag.

I loved Blake's first and second performances (inspite of what Simon said). The last song had Jordin written all over it... really wasn't Blake's style at all... no fair! Oh well, I think Blake knows he's in second place and doesn't really care.

Wasn't it sweet of Blake to let Jordin go first?

Comment

K-den. I waited for tonight and watched.heheheh

Jordin wins! Her last song sealed it.

She knows it too.

America knows it!

Congratulations Jordin!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

From what I've heard, Blake did quite poorly. Perhaps he "threw" the competition, so could get a better recording deal than he would with 19E (The agency used by AI's winners).

Comment

I don't think either one of them are worthy of the AI title.
                            But I found it amusing to see the poll that CNN.com is running right now at this link (which doesn't prove much except being a statement about CNN's audience):

Are you voting in the "American Idol" finale?

Yes 8% 7,685 votes

No 92% 93,213 votes

Total: 100,898 votes

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

[...]Wasn't it sweet of Blake to let Jordin go first?
                              Actually, Blake won the flip of the "coin" and when asked if he wanted to go first or 2nd he offered Jordin the choice...and she chose 2nd! Yes, very chivalrous!
                              Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                              [...]Jordin wins! Her last song sealed it.[...]
                              She absolutely nailed her last song which just happened to be the perfect type of song for her. It wasn't for Blake.
                              Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                              From what I've heard, Blake did quite poorly. Perhaps he "threw" the competition, so could get a better recording deal than he would with 19E (The agency used by AI's winners).
                              I disagree that Blake did poorly. His last song was not his best, for sure, but otherwise I thought he did quite well! I, for a change, agreed with Simon! Blake won for performance and Jordin won for vocals. AI is, after all, a singing competition but one does need to be able to perform.

I tried voting last night but was never able to get thru.

Comment

Blake really got screwed with that last song. I'm sure he had to perform it as is, without changing it to suit him. That said, I think Blake did a decent job with the song, it wasn't horrible. It was a total Jordin song. I gotta say I was thinking the whole time how fabulous Melinda would have been singing it as well. Last season's Chris Daughtry would have been screwed too had he gone to the finale and had to sing a song like that.

I love Blake. I'd like to see him win still. Either way they both will get deals, no doubt. And this isn't to say I dislike Jordin, she's got a voice, that's for damn sure.
                                I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Working...
                                X