This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reputation?

One thing to keep in mind. HawaiiThreads.com, like any other online forum, is not a democracy. It is run by the Admin; whatever he says, goes.

Comment

All your base are belong to us!

I really would be curious to see just how overwhelming the results might be, so I'm certainly not nixing it. I just didn't want to get detractors' hopes up.

To be sure there's some misuse of the reputation system. But (as explained in nauseating detail, at times, earlier in this thread) it's designed to ultimately reflect sentiment in aggregate, collectively. Two people can dink each other all they like, but any real movement requires a greater consensus.

I think I should emphasize more the importance of using the reputation system to reward good posts, but it's not surprising to me that overall it's seen as a reporting system for bad posts. For some online community systems, that's all there is!

Comment

Gotta admit, it's sad that some people think that the number of posts you made or the color of your squares determines the value of your opinions. Kinda like "size queens" --- or racism.

Comment

ok, gotta ask.
          HOW can the rep system be equated with racism?

Comment

Originally posted by admin
            I think I should emphasize more the importance of using the reputation system to reward good posts
            Yes. I'm hoping that even more people will give me reputation points for the Tiny Tadani thread!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              ok, gotta ask.
              HOW can the rep system be equated with racism?
              Fair question. Some posters here have made it clear that they feel the value or weight of other posters is directly affected by qualifiers such as how long you've been a member of HT, how many times you've posted, or your reputation rating.

That's the same as assuming someone's value to any community is determined by similar factors, such as how long your ancestors have lived in this region. I live in a city where more residents came from elsewhere than grew up here, and there is a notorious attitude of "I'm here now, but shut the door behind me, before anyone else moves here." (Which, I suspect, might amuse my Blackfeet ancestors.)

Or worse: "this neighborhood was fine, until the (insert choice of ethnic slur here) moved in." It happens everyehere on the Mainland; it happens in Hawai`i - any time you generalize people based on their ethnicity, it is racism, and it isn't the exclusive domain of haoles.

I didn't say the rep system is racist, only that there are similar behaviors, as when people classify others based on the qualifiers I mentioned above. I certainly disagree with some of the opinions expressed by posters on HT, but I would never claim that they have less value, simply because they registered for the site later than I did. That is ignorant behavior, as is the childish name-calling or cyber-threats of violence common to so many internet boards.

Fortunately, there seems to be a large group of people on HT who do not sink to such levels (which is why those who do stand out so.) Many posters here seem to be interested in a higher level of intelligent and open-hearted discourse; is it an ignorant generalization on my part to wonder if that is a trait more common amongst people who are linked to Hawai`i?

And we have moderators - that always helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                Fortunately, there seems to be a large group of people on HT who do not sink to such levels (which is why those who do stand out so.) Many posters here seem to be interested in a higher level of intelligent and open-hearted discourse; is it an ignorant generalization on my part to wonder if that is a trait more common amongst people who are linked to Hawai`i?
                I think it's fair to say that here in the islands we are often wary and skeptical of outsiders. Sometimes, it's even justified.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  I think it's fair to say that here in the islands we are often wary and skeptical of outsiders. Sometimes, it's even justified.
                  I'd buy that - particularly considering the history of the Islands.

I have certainly experienced mistrust from members of the Hawaiian communities with which I am involved, both on the Mainland and in the Islands. And I don't fault them for it at all. In most cases, however, they have given me ample opportunity to earn their trust, and to show that my interest in their history and culture is driven neither by greed nor a desire to pretend to be "one of them." To others, I will always be an outsider; nothing I can do to change that (or more than a century of history), short of being who I am, and being respectful of them as well.

But I have found people in the Hawaiian music and hula communities to be very welcoming, in general - and those are the communities with which I have the most connection. They teach me what it means to "live aloha" at a deep, daily level.

I have a lot more to learn than I do to teach. That's one of the reasons I wouldn't boycott an HT poster (or make their messages invisible); I want to read what they have to say, even if I'm in disagreement.
                  Last edited by Leo Lakio; August 31, 2005, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    the value or weight of other posters is directly affected by qualifiers such as how long you've been a member of HT, how many times you've posted, ...

That's the same as assuming someone's value to any community is determined by... how long your ancestors have lived in this region. ...any time you generalize people based on their ethnicity, it is racism, and it isn't the exclusive domain of haoles.

... you can't get there from here...

Comment

... you can't get there from here...
                      Seems like a pretty easy step, once you take off the blindfold.

Comment

Regarding reputations, consider the saying by Dale Carnegie (and paraphrased later by John Wooden):
                        "Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are
                        --Dale Carnegie..."

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

in other words, don't believe your own press kit.

Comment

in other words, don't believe your own press kit.
                            You got it, and it's not a Toyota, either!
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

you've won... a toy yoda!

Comment

you've won... a toy yoda!
                                LOL! Toy yoda....

I think everyone (Leo) is thinking this rep thing too much. I think its good to have. Its like all info. You decide what to do with it. Better to have it than not to. I can look and see the length of time a person has been here, how much they've posted in that time, and the feedback on post quality. That's great! I also like being able to see what people have liked about things I've said.

I'm pretty new here. See keiki status. But no one has "descriminated" against me or my posts cuz I was new... or cuz I'm haole for that matter. Anyone reading that stuff in is just plain silly.

I like all the people I've talked to on here so far too anyway. I don't let a rating decide for me. I think we're all good boys and girls who can look at the info and make our own decisions... right?
                                Haolewaiian Girl
                                >~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~<

Comment

Working...
                                X