This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reputation?

don't say it helen. it will drift back on topic.

Comment

Originally posted by buddy2
      I'm back to just writing what I think and don't care what sort of rep I get. When I joined I felt comfortable to write whatevers, I defended my opinion when attacked, but when with this new "rep" situation it started me wondering what will "others" think.
      First of all the reputation system is not new, it has been here for as long as HawaiiThreads been active. This thread started in April 13, 2004 and there were 20 responses to this thread, that ended in April 30, 2004.

If you don't care about your reputation status, then you have nothing to worry about because I don't think HawaiiThreads is set to prevent you from posting stuff if your reputation status falls below a certain level.

Originally posted by kimo55
      yea thanks. helps me unnastand it more. But the rep points system still confusing in it's intent and is so open to abuse;
      It takes a while to get the hang of it, but the intention is for the registrated users of a forum (in this case it's HawaiiThreads) to award reputation on a post they feel is informative. Of course one user's view of what a post is informative may not be the same as another user's view.

Running through HawaiiThreads list of users one gets the following as of 8/31/05:

number of registrated users - 1,291
      number of registrated users who can award reputation - 197 (note #1)
      number of registrated users who can recieve reputation - 721 (note #2)
      number of registrated users who currently have postive reputation - 143
      number of registrated users who currently have negative reputation - 27
      number of posts - 32,030

Note #1: This is defined as anyone with 10 or more posts and their current reputation score is 10 or more (text level says "fair reputation (10)").

Note #2: Anyone with at least one post. This means we have 570 registrated users who hasn't posted a thing.

What I don't know is how many registrated users actually use the reputation system but is meant for the registrated user base to use. The more people that use it wisely the more likey they will be able to offset the people who don't use it wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
        It takes a while to get the hang of it, but the intention is for the registrated users of a forum....

ok, now i steh more confoozed.
        Is that a high rated registered user?!

Comment

Ahh, there are two different numbers for registrated users. The main page for HawaiiThreads says it's 1,582 but if you look at the Members List page it says 1,291. I used the Members List numbers for my basis. As to the difference, I guess it might be to users who tried to register but didn't complete the verification process.

Comment

cool
            the;
            No, remove it.
            bar is growing.
            shoot dat mofo system (of a) down.

Comment

Hi (Admin), The poll is neck and neck at this time. 13 fors and 12 againsts. I suggested the voting to see what people thought of the idea. Thanks for leaving it go. Sure stirred up alot of "thoughts". Of course I realize that your site is not a democracy and stated that the poll was to find out if we should ask anything of you. Again mahalos!
              Last edited by Menehune Man; August 31, 2005, 11:14 PM.
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                I think the system is flawed
                How is it flawed?

Comment

uuummm... this much

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy2
                    Hi Helen (Admin), The poll is neck and neck at this time. 13 fors and 12 againsts. I suggested the voting to see what people thought of the idea. Thanks for leaving it go. Sure stirred up alot of "thoughts". Of course I realize that your site is not a democracy and stated that the poll was to find out if we should ask anything of you. Again mahalos!
                    I am not the admin, the user known as pzarquon is the administrator of HawaiiThreads. While I am a moderator, my powers is really limited, I can only close or open threads and that is about it, everything else pzarquon does.

As far as the reputation system is concerned my role is just trying to understand how this feature works. It's tool that is available for the users to use to rate other users' post.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                      How is it flawed?
                      Go read my older posts.

Comment

Are you talking about this post?

Which is where I quote it from originally, which is response #152 in this thread. Unless there is some other post in this thread you are referring too that I am not obvious to me?
                        Last edited by helen; September 1, 2005, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Posts. As in plural.

So no, I'm not talking about that post.

Comment

The only point I know you make a few references about is the point about the number of posts that factors into one's ability to give reputation to others (and again it's one of three factors that goes into the calculation of the amount of reputation power one can give). Is that flaw in the system that you are taking about? If so why is that flaw?

Comment

Originally posted by HaolewaiianGirl
                              I think everyone (Leo) is thinking this rep thing too much.
                              Methinks you are right. Kimo55 has the right attitude: "I don't see no reputation square thing," etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                                Seems like a pretty easy step, once you take off the blindfold.
                                In retrospect, that sounds WAY too preachy for me - I apologize.
                                Judge, please ask the Clerk to strike that quote from the record.
                                *BOP!* Owwwww!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X