X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reputation?

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    Ok, I'm the person who recieved the red mark and statement to not encourage lurkah. I don't know the word "intimidating!" I will post as I want to according to the rules and regulations of the forum. If you want to decide to continue to give me red marks, so be it. I not going die because of it. When I leave a reputation, I leave my name to it! How's that?

Auntie Lynn
    may a thousand green squares fill your post with joy

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
      Mahalo for that, MadAzza, and you have a GREAT Labor Day weekend! And that goes for everybody else, too.
      Thanks, darlin'! You, too!

Comment

Although it really doesn't bother me personally as far as my reputation in here goes, because I know for myself what my character is, it does, though, make me wonder just how widespread something like this might be. One person could possibly wage his or her own personal vendetta campaign against another person simply by anonymously giving each and every participant in here a red reputation mark along with intimidating comments such as that, which really amounts to a kind of subtle blackmail (in that they will be receiving more bad reputation remarks should they not kowtow and obey), that the entire group doesn't get to see collectively, but the end result is felt by the one being singled out.

Do you not see this as a possible flaw with this reputation system?
        Your initial scenario doesn't make sense. Why would anyone use the reputation system to blackmail someone? Once that person identifies themselves the jig's up and if they don't identifies themselves then how is the so called victims know who to obey?

Also, why is it that while some people can go around and leave grayed-out reputations along with nasty (or good) comments,
        If a user's post count is 10 or more and their reputation score is 10 or more points and they award a reputation, that reputation will be either a green square if they approve of that post or a red square if they disapprove of that post. Also the value assigned to that reputation award would be their full reputation weight if they approve or half their reputation weight if they disapprove of it.

If a user's post count is 9 or less or their reputation score is less than 10 points they will generate a gray square with zero value to that reputation award.

Whatever comment is entered during the reputation award, that gets passed on to the reciever.

I myself cannot and receive the following message instead..."You must spread some Reputation around before giving it again." Am I being singled out here too? Just curious.
        It's one of the check and balances in the reputation system. Without that in place or if the limits is set kind of low, one person could easliy influence the overall userbase reputation scores. As it stands now it's not easy to do but not impossible.

I hope you don't mind me using you as an example but if I want to wage a one person campaign against you, such that your overall reputation score gets to be zero or less. It could be done but it will take time. For instance my current repuation weight is 20 points (base of 1 point + 12 points for a post count of 1,200 + 5 points for being around since April 2004 + 2 points for every 50 reputation points I get from users). The number is kind impressive but not the highest weight here. If I give a negative reputation that score is 10 points. Now lurkah you have at least 150 points of reputation (according to your entry in the user list area). Since I can only give you one reputation per day, it will take me at least 15 days to get your score to zero. Of course I have to find 9 to 10 other people to assign reputation too and hopefully I don't caught doing it or other users come in and increase your reputation to offset the ones I put in as negatively.

Comment

Originally posted by helen

Your initial scenario doesn't make sense. Why would anyone use the reputation system to blackmail someone? Once that person identifies themselves the jig's up and if they don't identifies themselves then how is the so called victims know who to obey?
          Helen, mahalo again for explaining the inner workings of the reputation system in painstaking detail. However, I've satisfied myself with Admin's reponse of, "The reputation system is flawed. It can be abused.", and have since relegated the reputation system to my "Manini Kine Stuff" folder.

Comment

...and have since relegated the reputation system to my "Manini Kine Stuff" folder.
            Manini kine stuff is the soul of this place, so don't be so quick to dump stuff in there without letting us see it first. We can't all be Miulang!
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener

Manini kine stuff is the soul of this place, so don't be so quick to dump stuff in there without letting us see it first. We can't all be Miulang!
              Yeah, but can you make ono home-made char siu bao like she can?

Comment

Yeah, but can you make ono home-made char siu bao like she can?
                I don't know. She'll have to send me some so I can judge.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

If everyone here was Miulang then I'd never be able to keep up with my HawaiiThreads reading.

Comment

Everytime I see "Miulang," I get a song in my head. Sing with me ...

Miulang, Miulang, Miulang
                    Miulang, Miulang

He's so fine (Miulang, Miulang)
                    Wish he were mine (Miulang, Miulang)

Wha--? Nobody's singing with me?

Comment

I don't know. She'll have to send me some so I can judge.
                      Just disregard that, Miulang. If there's going to be any sending of manapua, it'll be going to you know who.

Right?

Comment

Me I don't sing. In any event back to the topic at hand. One thing I am sort of noticing is that it seems that the issue of reputation is the ability of it leaving anonymous comments to the user. Is that the hang up of the system?

Comment

Originally posted by helen

One thing I am sort of noticing is that it seems that the issue of reputation is the ability of it leaving anonymous comments to the user. Is that the hang up of the system?
                          Adono. Maybe that's it. Snide comments and anonymous threats, veiled or unveiled, can't be a very pleasant experience for anyone, and taken seriously, might inhibit participation for those with thinner skins.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

If everyone here was Miulang then I'd never be able to keep up with my HawaiiThreads reading.
                            Eh Miulang...first was "katonk", and now you're being called "portagee". Is there no end to your list of positive attributes?

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza

Everytime I see "Miulang," I get a song in my head. Sing with me ...

Miulang, Miulang, Miulang
                              Miulang, Miulang

He's so fine (Miulang, Miulang)
                              Wish he were mine (Miulang, Miulang)

Wha--? Nobody's singing with me?
                              You had me dancing on my chair.

Miulang knows how scary that thought is.

Comment

What the hell does that mean? Woohoo! Now I one katonk portagee expat? Eh, lemme tink...what else can I be?

Eh, Lurkah: I go bring you my manapua if you make sure I get at least one laulau in LV. Oddawise, all bets are off, bruddah!

Miulang
                                Last edited by Miulang; September 3, 2005, 06:18 AM.
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X