X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reputation?

Originally posted by lavagal
    I'm just trying to figure out your sig file. An homage to our Kimo? ALREADY? Crack me UP! Kimo you are such a flirt!
    hehe Actually it says that because my first post on HawaiiThreads Kimo tore me a new one right off the bat. We scuffled a bit and everyone said, "There he goes again. That's kimo!" I didn't need to look at no rep nicorettes to know me and Kimo were gonna get along just fine.
    Haolewaiian Girl
    >~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~<

Comment

I just received an email from someone here on HT saying that they themselves had received a red bad reputation mark along with the following reason for why they received it: "please dont encourage lurkah..."

Although it really doesn't bother me personally as far as my reputation in here goes, because I know for myself what my character is, it does, though, make me wonder just how widespread something like this might be. One person could possibly wage his or her own personal vendetta campaign against another person simply by anonymously giving each and every participant in here a red reputation mark along with intimidating comments such as that, which really amounts to a kind of subtle blackmail (in that they will be receiving more bad reputation remarks should they not kowtow and obey), that the entire group doesn't get to see collectively, but the end result is felt by the one being singled out.

Do you not see this as a possible flaw with this reputation system?

Also, why is it that while some people can go around and leave grayed-out reputations along with nasty (or good) comments, I myself cannot and receive the following message instead..."You must spread some Reputation around before giving it again." Am I being singled out here too? Just curious.

Comment

The reputation system is flawed. It can be abused. It can also be useful and entertaining. Or deemed ultimately and essentially pointless.

As for what the "spread some reputation around" message means (and it's not just you), please read the exhaustive, extensive, mind-bogglingly detailed, and often repeated explanations and clarifications in this most unwieldly and weirdly entertaining of threads.

Comment

Originally posted by admin

The reputation system is flawed. It can be abused.
          Mahalo for that acknowledgment.

Comment

"Although it really doesn't bother me personally as far as my reputation in here goes, because I know for myself what my character is..."

heeheehee! You one character all right. One kolohe one. But I gotta admit, you akamai too (so save me one laulau at da luau, OK?)

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

"Although it really doesn't bother me personally as far as my reputation in here goes, because I know for myself what my character is..."

heeheehee! You one character all right. One kolohe one. But I gotta admit, you akamai too (so save me one laulau at da luau, OK?)

As for your reputation...we do have our detractors, don't we? bahahahaha!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

But I gotta admit, you akamai too (so save me one laulau at da luau, OK?)
                Shoots tita, I going save you one laulau, but only if you give me some good green reputation marks too! Eh, at least I do it out in the open.

Comment

Eh, you going get one green mark from me if you post something good. Oddawise, you going get one green mark on da okole.

Here's something funny from my very own "reputation": I got a green AND a red rating for the exact same post. So they kinda cancelled each other out... which rating am I supposed to believe????

Miulang

Comment

Here's something funny from my very own "reputation": I got a green AND a red rating for the exact same post.
                    My funny story about reputation points: Someone gave me a very, very positive comment for the trivia game, but left me a negative rating. I figured one of them was a mistake and didn't want to know which!

I like Pz's assessment that it's useful and entertaining. I think I mostly agree.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here's something funny from my very own "reputation": I got a green AND a red rating for the exact same post. So they kinda cancelled each other out... which rating am I supposed to believe????
                      Two different people rated the same post which is what it is supposed to do. As far as the overall rating score for that post the best advice I can give is for you to go to that post and you click on the balance scale icon. It will either say is postive, negative or equal or something else to that effect.

If possible if you could share with the rest of us what it said that would add to the collective knowledge of the system (not intersted what the users comments were or your current reputation score, just what the vBulletin reported the overall rating of that post).

One more thing just to be sure, both ratings are for the same post and not for two different posts in the same thread?
                      Last edited by helen; September 2, 2005, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                        I just received an email from someone here on HT saying that they themselves had received a red bad reputation mark along with the following reason for why they received it: "please dont encourage lurkah..."
                        Jeez, that's crazy. For me to give someone a red mark, the poster would pretty much have to come out in favor of child molestation. I can't imagine someone giving a red mark for taking part in a discussion with another poster. So I guess now I'll get a red mark for "encouraging" you. Well, here's something: Whoever's doing that is a big pu**y. Go ahead, give me red mark, you small-minded piece of crap. I'll consider it an honor.

Howzat, Lurkah?

Comment

Because the system is set up so you can't repeatedly give a single individual a negative rating without spreading some positive ratings around (i.e. single that person out), there might be some "positive" rating inflation also going on...just so you know that the game can be played both ways...

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza

Jeez, that's crazy. For me to give someone a red mark, the poster would pretty much have to come out in favor of child molestation. I can't imagine someone giving a red mark for taking part in a discussion with another poster. So I guess now I'll get a red mark for "encouraging" you. Well, here's something: Whoever's doing that is a big pu**y. Go ahead, give me red mark, you small-minded piece of crap. I'll consider it an honor.

Howzat, Lurkah?
                            Mahalo for that, MadAzza, and you have a GREAT Labor Day weekend! And that goes for everybody else, too.

Comment

entertain ourselves with the ratings but don't care about them,post your ideas and remarks freely and without concerns about acceptance we have enough g**dammed conformity in the real world!!

thats what I would say if I thought I new "anything" wich I most definently do not lol
                              oh ya and happy labor day to you all,especialy all those students and teachers out there.For me I'm packing my bags because we are off to Hilo tomorrow!! Whoooo Hoooo!! Our first place to visit/prospect in our goal to leave the big city and move to a happier place
                              Last edited by Fondoo2; September 2, 2005, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Ok, I'm the person who recieved the red mark and statement to not encourage lurkah. I don't know the word "intimidating!" I will post as I want to according to the rules and regulations of the forum. If you want to decide to continue to give me red marks, so be it. I not going die because of it. When I leave a reputation, I leave my name to it! How's that?

Auntie Lynn
                                Last edited by 1stwahine; September 2, 2005, 01:26 PM.
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X