X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kalalau
    replied
    Re: Gun Control

Its like a whole new kind of hunting. Zimmerman went hunting and brought down his prey and the legal system is fine with that.

A friend is Black, he's real big like about 6'5". One day as he's stepping out of his own house a cop jams a gun in his face and commands him to lie in the gutter. There's a criminal in the neighborhood, a short white man. What was the cop reacting to other than the same kind of primal racist fear that Zimmerman had of Martin, the same fear of the unknown that made the nice lady jurors fine with approving the murder of Martin. Maybe Florida can cash in on this style of hunting, I'm sure there are loads of people who would pay to enjoy hunting human prey. As long as its legal in Florida and it obviously is, they might as well make some money on it.

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    I watched the entire trial live on HLN TV. Did you?
    Didn't you know? Matapule can identify a gun nut just by looking at them on TV.

Leave a comment:

• matapule
    replied

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
    mind citing a source?
    I watched the entire trial live on HLN TV. Did you?

Leave a comment:

• TATTRAT
    replied

Four of the six jurors were gun nuts. It wasn't Zimmerman who was on trial, it was gun control that was on trial and the jury was packed with gun nuts. Even the prosecutor admitted he was a gun nut.

And now, apparently, Zimmerman gets his gun back. I think anyone who encounters Zimmerman now should be able to claim "great fear of their life" and claim self-defense.

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!
    mind citing a source?

Leave a comment:

• Kalalau
    replied

Interesting about the gun nuts including the prosecutor. Gun nuts are usually rightists, who seem to trend toward racism a bit more often than normal people. The pieces fall into place. Can there be any doubt prosecutors in the Rodney King beating case wanted that case to fail, allowing it to be moved to an all white neighborhood, Simi Valley, and filled with pro police jurors? Prosecutors are naturally tight with police and authoritarian figures and how could that not include make believe cops like Zimmerman. Anyway, American justice again has kukae all over its face, humiliating itself again before the entire world and our own citizens, convincing tens of millions of people that the justice system is dependably unjust, you can count on it. I guess we always knew that. Rich white people usually get off. Anderson Cooper had an interesting stat last night on CNN, that all white juries convict Black defendants at a 17 % higher rate than they do white defendants, but if a single Black is included on a jury the conviction rates for Black and white defendants become virtually identical. So again, not putting a Black on the Zimmerman jury could have been a deliberate ploy to throw the verdict the way the prosecutors really wanted it to go, just as in the Rodney King beating trial.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Back to lurking now...
    Then, I must lurk too. I will follow.

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

Four of the six jurors were gun nuts. It wasn't Zimmerman who was on trial, it was gun control that was on trial and the jury was packed with gun nuts. Even the prosecutor admitted he was a gun nut.

And now, apparently, Zimmerman gets his gun back. I think anyone who encounters Zimmerman now should be able to claim "great fear of their life" and claim self-defense.

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!
    I do not believe in this ignorance and arrogance. Any judge would kick matapule out for biased prejudice. "Gun Nut" as used by Matapule is an equivalent epithet to "
    Nigger.
    " It's a term with no real meaning, meant only to demean a member of a group other than your own, and should be banned, for the same reason.

For anyone to scatter this term among members of a legal body indiscriminately is tantamount to a new form of racism, without reference to race, only casual reference to social preferences being involved.

Can we also have "dog nuts," "Car nuts," etc being used as valid terms of demeaning others?

Leave a comment:

• matapule
    replied

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
    Seems like the case was made to fail.

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied

Seems the Zimmerman jury was filled with a bunch of dolts, every time you hear one of them speak the kid was as doomed in court as he was that rainy night.

Leave a comment:

• Kalalau
    replied

Seems like the case was made to fail. Just like selecting an all white jury in the Rodney King beating case although these guys did chose one Hispanic, from Zimmerman's ethnic background. Well, they got their wish. American justice disgraces, humiliates itself again. They see no problem with convincing millions of people of the unfairness, the bias, the prejudice, the bigotry of the system. There was some quote from Jefferson about fearing for the country if there is a just God. Amen.

Leave a comment:

• Kalalau
    replied

Hispanic. 5 whites, one hispanic. It might have been nice to have had at least one Black on the jury, maybe impart a little perspective. "Peers", that sort of stuff. Racism can be real subtle. Seems like Zimmerman could have been an example even though he used the n. word and swore a lot on the tapes but he probably thought of himself as a perfectly reasonable open minded fair man. Probably coincided with how the jurors thought. Too bad Martin tried to defend himself. He should have known his place, maybe Zimmerman would have left him alone if he hadn't tried to act like a white man would have under the same circumstances. I wonder if Zimmerman will chalk up some more victims now that he's been freed. Maybe one of the jurors kids will attract his interest, or one of his defense attorneys kids. A nice stable sort to be armed and lurking and pretending to be a cop. We can all rest easier. We need more Zimmermans.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

I believe it was an all white jury ...
    Popping in briefly because I really dislike seeing these kinds of errors continuing to circulate without correction. One of the jurors was described as "black or Hispanic" during jury selection.

Back to lurking now...

Leave a comment:

• GregLee
    replied

I believe it was an all white jury that approved of Zimmerman's murder.
    No such thing happened. The jury decided that Zimmerman was not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Given the photos of Zimmerman's injuries, I don't think they had a choice. An all black jury would surely have done exactly the same.

Leave a comment:

• Kalalau
    replied

Racism can be subtle. It can be something we are not even aware of. Here's an example. A bi racial couple throws parties. He, Black, she, white. They invite their friends. These are intelligent aware people not likely to be bigots, but the Black people party in one room, the whites in another. Nobody is being hostile or unfriendly, I think it just comes down to comfort, you are comfortable with whats familiar. Its possible these all white juries, the people on them consider themselves open minded, but still tend to give a Black person, a Black defendant, a bit more scrutiny or suspicion or doubt than they would a white defendant, and not even be aware they are doing it. So to be fair it would seem like having exclusively white or exclusively Black juries is a mistake, it seems like it would be a sensible thing to have juries ethnically mixed. I don't think this is as much of a problem in Hawai'i as it is on the mainland, but the record seems pretty clear that it is a problem on the mainland.

Leave a comment:

• Kalalau
    replied

Maybe we have missed the point about a jury of peers. I believe it was an all white jury that approved of Zimmerman's murder. It was an all white jury that let off the 4 LA cops videotaped beating Rodney King thereby causing riots that claimed over 50 lives and cost billions. A lawyer friend told about a case he'd worked on where a Black defendant had several alibi witnesses who placed him dozens of miles from the scene of a crime, but they were all Black and another all white jury chose to believe they were all lying and convicted the guy who went away for decades until DNA evidence proved he was always innocent. Wouldn't it be nice if those jurors could go to jail for their evil verdicts? I am not going to say that all whites are racists, but there may be a tendency in that direction and these problems might be taken care of with segregated juries. Whites don't seem to be up to the requirement of being open minded and impartial, we seem to have a poor track record. Maybe thats part of why so many Black youths are in prison. So why not just be reasonable, when we want a jury of peers, get a jury of peers, Blacks judging Blacks and whites judging whites. Fairness and impartiality is a high requirement and evidence is strong that we are not up to it in terms of race.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X