The Governor's Race 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Governor's Race 2006

I guess I don't understand why people perceive that representing the state of Hawai'i in Washington, DC is more honorable or beneficial to the people of the State of Hawai'i than working directly with the people in Hawai'i, in Hawai'i. Washington, DC is a snake's pit where if you don't play the game, you don't get the vote or the bucks (e.g., Jack Abramoff).

I think who leads the State government and the people who make the decisions for you (and who directly represent your neighborhood) are the ones who are going to benefit you more. If you don't have a strong State government, what good would strong representation in Washington, DC do you?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      I guess I don't understand why people perceive that representing the state of Hawai'i in Washington, DC is more honorable or beneficial to the people of the State of Hawai'i than working directly with the people in Hawai'i, in Hawai'i. Washington, DC is a snake's pit where if you don't play the game, you don't get the vote or the bucks (e.g., Jack Abramoff).

I think who leads the State government and the people who make the decisions for you (and who directly represent your neighborhood) are the ones who are going to benefit you more. If you don't have a strong State government, what good would strong representation in Washington, DC do you?

Miulang
      Can’t speak for everyone, but that is not exactly what I said. Who governs in Hawaii is important too, I agree. My point was that if you have someone that happens to be in the U.S. Senate, who has over his lifetime, built skills, expertise, relationships, and seniority so that he now does his job extremely well, then why change it? Could DKI be a great Governor? Maybe. But I think I would have an easy time arguing that he is an outstanding U.S. Senator, maybe the best Hawaii will have for a real long time. For that reason, I think a move like that would be unwise. The downside to the equation does not justify the potential upside.

My two cents.

Comment

Craig, we can't have a referendum. The 1978 Con-Con discussed Initiative, Referendum and Recall up one side and down the other and decided not to institute any of them.

I voted against Colleen what's-her-name in my district for years after that; she'd gone into the Con-Con saying she was all for all three items, and voted against all three during the convention. Not that I hold grudges.

After observing California for years, I don't think I'd want initiative, but I wouldn't mind referendum, and I'd sure like to have recall.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I guess I don't understand why people perceive that representing the state of Hawai'i in Washington, DC is more honorable or beneficial to the people of the State of Hawai'i than working directly with the people in Hawai'i, in Hawai'i.
          I don't know that it's "more honorable or beneficial" but I'd say it's at least equal. As a Senator, DI wields enormous power to get federal projects sent here, and that provides zillions of dollars and thousands of jobs here in Hawai`i. He recently arranged to have a new aircraft carrier based here, again providing $$$ to our economy and a lot of jobs. And recently there was the probablity (not possibility, but probability) of closing the Pearl Harbor repair yard, and our reps in Washington were able to stop that idea.
          Those (and countless more) are all things that a Governor wouldn't have been able to do alone, or at least nowhere near as easily. So yes, it's definitely more "beneficial" to us.
          As for "honorable", well... we are talking politics here, right?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Gov. Lingle's proposal for what to do with the State's excess revenues is raising some eyebrows. She's proposing a one-time tax rebate $150 for all Hawai'i taxpayers and revising the state income tax levels to exempt more low income families.

"...With everyone at the state Legislature focused on what to do with a projected $574 million state budget surplus, Gov. Linda Lingle outlined her plans for the money that include a one-time rebate for all taxpayers, coupled with raising the standard deduction and widening the state's income tax brackets.

Trying to put it in real-life terms, Lingle said the enactment of her $285 million tax plan would return as much as $1,568 to a family of four earning less than $50,000 a year...."

Is Lingle a Republican in Democratic clothing? Or is she a hybrid, a new style politician who is taking the best ideas from both major parties...a moderate Repubmocrat?

For sure her gesture will win lots of votes in the next election.

Miulang
            I do not like the idea to take the surplus and give everyone an across the board rebate as being suggested. I feel if they cannot redistribute the excess back in a similar manner in which the revenues were collected (which is virtually impossible), they should bank the money and reduce the tax burden for future taxes. Returning the taxes back equally across the board to every person filing in the State of Hawaii is what I would call the Robin Hood Effect. They're just redistributing everyone's money and it won't be fair for everyone. As an example, if person A paid $10,000 in taxes, person B $3,000 and person C $5,000 and say for this example the state did not spend anything and wanted to refund this surplus back. They will refund $6,000 to everyone. Person B will be ahead $3,000 and person C will be ahead $1,000, but person A will be out $4,000. That is simply not right. Then when the pot is, once again, dry, they will hit the middle income earners harder than the low and the high (they have a lot of tax shelters to protect them) income earners. The last time Waihee gave everyone a $100 rebate, I hear that inmates in prisons filed for taxes just to receive the free $100. Not soon after that, the State was broke and taxes went up.
            Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Linda Lingle shouldn't just rest her laurels on Hawai'i's low unemployment rate. The business conditions in Hawai'i make the future of Hawai'i look a little bleak right now.

"...The Washington, D.C.-based Corporation for Enterprise Development, or CFED, gave the state "F" grades for business vitality (a measure of business competitiveness) and capacity for future development. Hawai'i earned a "C" for the performance of its economy, which boasts the nation's lowest jobless rate at 2.7 percent in December.

That's worse than last year when CFED gave Hawai'i a "B" for economic performance and failing grades in the other categories....

"...In terms of poverty rate and income distribution Hawai'i ranked in the middle of all states.

However, Hawai'i workers face the highest rate of forced part-time employment and the state's quality of life suffers from high crime, weak participation in the democratic process and a low homeownership rate, according to the report card...."

What the candidates for both major political parties need to focus on are how to decrease crime, increase citizen participation in decision making and making more housing affordable. You've got a strong economy, but it's being driven at the expense of people having to work too hard for too little.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                He recently arranged to have a new aircraft carrier based here, again providing $$$ to our economy and a lot of jobs.
                He has been the #1 proponent on homeporting a carrier here, but the jury is still out on this one.

"The Pentagon is undertaking the Quadrennial Defense Review, which is expected to be completed by February, and will include realignment of naval forces, including possible reassignment of aircraft carriers in the Pacific. Two mentioned homeports include Guam and Pearl Harbor because of growing concern with the Pacific region and China." Star Bulletin, November 30, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                  Dan run foa Governor? Yes, there is a possibility. The voters wouldn't get pissed. It would make the race an interesting one for certain. All candidates would bow out so fast. His name alone would carry him into Office.
                  Actually, Auntie Lynn, as Pretender and Likanui have also agreed, the people WOULD get pissed. It doesn’t mean they wouldn’t vote for him for governor. I’m sure we all agree he would win. What it MEANS is he can do more good in Washington, D.C. because of his seniority. He has the highest approval rating of any senator on Capitol Hill. And he is the main reason our state gets far more than our fair share of federal tax dollars. We would LOSE ALL THAT overnight if Dan were to run for Gov.

That was my point.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                    Actually, Auntie Lynn, as Pretender and Likanui have also agreed, the people WOULD get pissed.
                    Nooooo, that's not at all what I said. I wouldn't presume to speak for all the people.

What it MEANS is he can do more good in Washington, D.C. because of his seniority. He has the highest approval rating of any senator on Capitol Hill. And he is the main reason our state gets far more than our fair share of federal tax dollars. We would LOSE ALL THAT overnight if Dan were to run for Gov.
                    Now that is what I did say.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                      Nooooo, that's not at all what I said. I wouldn't presume to speak for all the people.
                      TuNnL

Auntie Lynn
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; January 27, 2006, 01:53 PM.
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Randall Iwase "announced" like he said he would that he would "announce" his bid to run for Governor for the State of Hawaii yesterday...

but he has to face off any potential candidates in the Primary first before challenging Lingle. hmmm...should be interesting, who comes forward by the filing date. Still too early in the game. Yep, much too early.

A strong possible Candidate is Former Mayor Kim. Don't count him out yet. Infact, don't count anyone out.

Auntie Lynn
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; January 28, 2006, 02:26 PM.

Comment

B-a-a-a-hhh. (That's the sound of one sacrificial lamb.)
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                            B-a-a-a-hhh. (That's the sound of one sacrificial lamb.)
                            ...pass the mint please?

Auntie Lynn

Comment

In the StarBulletin this morning: http://starbulletin.com/2006/01/31/news/story01.html
                              Mainlanders give gov $550,000

Wow! Das alot of Mula from out-of State! $195,504 in California! Damn! nuff said.

Still, If the Democratic Party or any Party for that matter has a Candidate whom is intellegent, has charisma, and a great public speaker ~ all that money is NOTHING!

...however, time is ticking. It ain't so interesting yet. That money might just be used for the biggest celebration for a Governor's Lu'au Re-Election Party if no REAL Candidates will emerge soon!

There's only that "lamb guy!" ba-a-ahhh!

Auntie Lynn
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; January 31, 2006, 04:53 AM.

Comment

On The Star Bulletin Web Page: Joe Moore decides not to resign.

...just a thought. Name recognition. Face recognition.

eh, quit Joe! Run foa Governor 2006!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X