The Governor's Race 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Governor's Race 2006

Actually I’m confused as to why prospective Gubernatorial candidates are still being issued nomination papers. As late as July 10th, Paul “I hate Mufi” Manner was picking up an application, even though according to the 2006 ELECTION CALENDAR, the deadline to do so was February 1st.

Anyone have an explanation for this?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
      Actually I’m confused as to why prospective Gubernatorial candidates are still being issued nomination papers. As late as July 10th, Paul “I hate Mufi” Manner was picking up an application, even though according to the 2006 ELECTION CALENDAR, the deadline to do so was February 1st.

Your questions can be best explained here: http://www.hawaii.gov/elections/

All candidates have till July 25th 2006 to turn in their papers.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Feb 1 was the first day to file, not the deadline to file.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
          Nalu - what is your problem with William Aila?
          I've no problem with Mr. Aila, I think he's a great guy. What I meant to say is that I will vote for Lingle if ANY other democrat but Williliam Aila opposes her in the General election.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying but still some confusion: If you like Lingle enough to vote for her, what difference does it make who her opposition might be? I've heard this opinion from others (including my brother who is a dem.) and it just doesn't make any sense to me. If you are a democrat, you should be supporting the democrat candidate - not the republican. I'm not saying we all should just vote the party line but - saying, I don't like the candidate from my party so I'll just vote for the other guy, is not taking responsibility for how we are governed.

I belong to a democratic party caucus and part of our statement of principles is holding the candidates (and those already in office) to account for standing up for & supporting the party platform & values - in other words, being "pono" in their positions and actions.

Sorry, I get a little "heated" on this issue. No offense intended to anyone reading this - its just my own personal opinion.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I've heard this opinion from others (including my brother who is a dem.) and it just doesn't make any sense to me. If you are a democrat, you should be supporting the democrat candidate - not the republican.
              Well, with all due respect (and much is due!), that kind of logic doesn't make any sense to me. I'm sure on paper somewhere, I'm listed as a Democrat. Members of my family, to varying degrees, are pretty active in the local Democratic Party. And I largely lean Democrat when limited to various Democrat vs. Republican scenarios -- which made for some interesting conversations when I helped a friend run for office as a Republican! -- though others have noticed a conservative streak, and some strong Libertarian parallels.

But when push comes to shove? I vote for whoever I think is the best candidate, regardless of party. I think a lot of people do.

I know the basic concepts behind the party system, and actually don't think it sucks as much as lots of people say it does, and so I know that not playing along kind of throws things out of whack. I just feel that while at times voting the party line makes strategic sense, sometimes it doesn't make common sense.

I voted for Lingle because I liked what she represented versus what "my party" was offering. And I'm likely to do the same this year. Mind you, Harry Kim, William Aila, I am certain they're great folks, really smart, very nice. But those aren't the only traits one needs in a governor.

Yes, voting for a Republican carries liabilities -- expected conflicts with my worldview on several issues (though to be sure, she's at odds with some in her own party at times). But on balance, for general governance, she's my pick... and I'll bet, pretty much everyone else's.
              Last edited by pzarquon; July 18, 2006, 08:45 PM. Reason: Is, are, what's the difference?

Comment

Lingle might be the rest of Hawai'i's pick for Governor, but she sure isn't winning any votes with her stance on Superferry with the voters on Maui. Unless she answers some questions for the Maui voters, my guess is she will be garnering way fewer votes on Maui than she would have otherwise. And with Halford "retiring" (the token Republican), Maui may send an entirely Democratic slate to the Legislature next year, which is not going to help the Republican cause at all.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for clarifying but still some confusion: If you like Lingle enough to vote for her, what difference does it make who her opposition might be? I've heard this opinion from others (including my brother who is a dem.) and it just doesn't make any sense to me. If you are a democrat, you should be supporting the democrat candidate - not the republican. I'm not saying we all should just vote the party line but - saying, I don't like the candidate from my party so I'll just vote for the other guy, is not taking responsibility for how we are governed.

I'm not a democrat, nor am I a republican.I'd say I'm an independent. I voted for Lingle in the last election and have been pleased with her performance as govenor. However, one only needs to sit and chat with Bill Aila to know how akamai he is. The bottom line is that Mr Aila is a local boy who cares about these Islands...there is no doubt in my mind that he would do a wonderful job governing the affairs of the State. I care about these Islands too...that is why I'm giving him my vote.

Comment

Sorry, I meant to send something private
                    Last edited by anapuni808; July 18, 2006, 08:19 PM. Reason: (meant to send private )-
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer
                      Feb 1 was the first day to file, not the deadline to file.
                      If this is the case, they should say that on the 2006 ELECTION CALENDAR. This website lists February 1st as the “event/deadline to Pick up nomination papers from Office of Elections or City/County Clerk.”

It says absolutely nothing about filing on that particular date. The Office of Elections needs to be more clear. Lingle has made a lot of good changes, but our state bureaucracy still needs to learn how to speak English.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

If this is the case, they should say that on the 2006 ELECTION CALENDAR. This website lists February 1st as the “event/deadline to Pick up nomination papers from Office of Elections or City/County Clerk.”

It says absolutely nothing about filing on that particular date. The Office of Elections needs to be more clear. Lingle has made a lot of good changes, but our state bureaucracy still needs to learn how to speak English.
                        Well, I suppose it could be more clear. If only this was the biggest fish we had to fry with the state bureaucracy...

Most candidates seem to have figured it out, though.

Comment

Heck, if a candidate can't figure it out, maybe they're not qualified to jump into the bureaucracy that created it! Or is it the opposite, and are we only encouraging people who think the same way? Hmm.

For what it's worth, it was clear enough to me. I imagine the laws cited to determine that set of dates are already pretty convoluted or strangely written ("WHEREAS, the final day for {x} shall be {y} calendar days before {z}, except when {z} falls on a {n}, in which case..."), so the fact that there's an election calendar at all is a mild accomplishment!

Comment

If you're truly curious, the HRS authorizes the Office of Elections to formalize the procedure by administrative rules, and those rules are here.

Comment

Breaking News in the StarBulletin today: http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=4689
                              Big Isle Mayor won't run for governor
                              "Harry Kim says he will finish his term"
                              by Richard Borreca

"Big Island Mayor Harry Kim will not run for governor in the Democratic primary and instead will complete his term as mayor."

Ok. The wait is over for any more Hopefuls or Big Gun surprises.

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

A full write up in the Star-Bulletin here and in the Advertiser here. I'm glad he decided against it. I like the guy, I really do... but he wasn't going to fare well in a gubernatorial race - at least not without a lot of consultants and image makers that would've likely diluted what appeal he had.

So, it's either Aila or Iwase on the democratic side, versus Lingle. As Doug notes, Iwase is already backed by the ILWU. The AFL-CIO and HGEA may decide as soon as this week who to endorse. If either go to Aila, things might get mildy interesting, but if both go to Iwase... that's about it for everyone else.

Not sure what Iwase's time with the Hawaii Labor and Industrial Relations Appeals Board does for him, though if anything I guess it makes him a known factor to the unions. Looks like Iwase and the HGEA have been in opposing camps before.

Lingle will still mop the floor with whomever challenges her, though, so it's probably just as well.
                                Last edited by pzarquon; July 24, 2006, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X